Sponsored

What kind of plug do you keep in your rear end?

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
Get your mind out of the gutter...

So after leaving my receiver hitch in for quite awhile, I've decided that I probably shouldn't do that due to vibration wearing off the paint and whatnot, leading to rusting. So it got me thinking, if I take it out, what should I replace it with? Plastic plug? Nothing? Recovery point? A shield in case I get rear ended?

What are you guys running?
Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Don't use it as a recovery point. Seen too many videos of that being used and the hitch failing.

A tailgate step or skid plate are good choices though.

But remember that if your concern is "vibration wearing the paint causing rust" then you really don't want anything in there except softer plastic or rubber. Everything's going to vibrate in the receiver, you just need to make sure that whatever you put in there is significantly softer than the metal so it wears instead.

OP
OP

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
Don't use it as a recovery point. Seen too many videos of that being used and the hitch failing.

A tailgate step or skid plate are good choices though.

But remember that if your concern is "vibration wearing the paint causing rust" then you really don't want anything in there except softer plastic or rubber. Everything's going to vibrate in the receiver, you just need to make sure that whatever you put in there is significantly softer than the metal so it wears instead.
You've seen the hitch receiver that's mounted to the frame fail? Or the ball mount that's inserted into it?

I'd never use a ball mount for recovery, but that's the first I've really heard about not using the frame mounted receiver.

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara
Get your mind out of the gutter...

So after leaving my receiver hitch in for quite awhile, I've decided that I probably shouldn't do that due to vibration wearing off the paint and whatnot, leading to rusting. So it got me thinking, if I take it out, what should I replace it with? Plastic plug? Nothing? Recovery point? A shield in case I get rear ended?

What are you guys running?
Currently a standard rubberized plastic Jeep Plug (amazon).

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
You've seen the hitch receiver that's mounted to the frame fail? Or the ball mount that's inserted into it?

I'd never use a ball mount for recovery, but that's the first I've really heard about not using the frame mounted receiver.
I've seen failed recoveries with both. It's not a great recovery point, especially considering you have better ones built in already. Really it's only a good option if you have no other options, but since your Jeep has those options already it's going to be a swinging decoration. Better off getting something else in my opinion.

Sponsored

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Wait a sec, the trailer hitch attaches to the frame in the same manner as the tow hooks. Now shock loading a hitch ball or similar is bad...but putting a solid insert w a shackle in the hitch works. I use a Grade 9 through bolt and a nut (180,000 psi)

Sponsored

KQL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for gladiator
I always thought those rubber plugs only kept mud/sand/wet inside the hitch. Since they mount from the back, they act to trap anything that gets in there while you’re driving forward.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
I always thought those rubber plugs only kept mud/sand/wet inside the hitch. Since they mount from the back, they act to trap anything that gets in there while you’re driving forward.
It’s truck flair. Doesn’t keep anything out or serve any real purpose other than to look cleaner (my opinion) vs. a rusty hole when the hitch ball mount isn’t in there.

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
Had a Mopar logo rubber plug, lasted about 3 minutes in Moab before getting ripped out and lost. Now I run a skid. Old pic but:

Jeep Gladiator What kind of plug do you keep in your rear end? IMG_20210624_134432_900