Sponsored

What kind of plug do you keep in your rear end?

Rburns1776

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JT Mojave, '22 WL75 Overland, 21' BMW M1000RR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
I have a DRT hitch skid that I leave in there. I like the DRT because it protects the safety chain eyes from getting bent. When I wash the truck I remove it, clear all the debris out, brush it and touch up the paint with some rattle can to prevent rust. The DRT hitch skid has a mount for a shackle and I use it for gentle recoveries, it's not meant for snatch / kinetic rope recoveries. I keep a Factor 55 hitch link in the truck that I use for snatching / kinetic rope recovery. I just saw the post about tearing off the receiver itself, but there's no way you're going to tear the receiver off the frame before you'd break one of the factory tow hooks. That doesn't make any sense at all to me. It's a great recovery point when you utilize it with the appropriate equipment. Just my 2 cents, I did not stay at a holiday inn Express last night for full context.

Jeep Gladiator What kind of plug do you keep in your rear end? 20220606_121613
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If you mean this one - picked it up at Mills Fleet Farm -

Jeep Gladiator What kind of plug do you keep in your rear end? 1669089931751

I always thought those rubber plugs only kept mud/sand/wet inside the hitch. Since they mount from the back, they act to trap anything that gets in there while you’re driving forward.
What gets in there generally stays in there. I've never seen any difference and every vehicle I've had for the last 30 years has had a receiver - some I have run with plugs like this, some I have not, and some I've done with and without - no difference.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I've had one of the Jeep rubber plugs in there since I bought it in 2019. I replaced it with one of these steps a couple months ago. I looked at quite a few of them, and eventually settled on the one that I was least likely to injure myself with.

KAYCENTOP Universal Hitch Step Anti Slip and Rust Towing Bumper Guard Black Hitch Steps for Most Cars SUV Trucks Pickups with Pin Fits 2 Inch Receivers https://a.co/d/ftfly3H

Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I actually run a Warfab hitch skid, with a locking pin, and a piece of heavy rubber wedged between the skid and the hitch, tight no rattle at all. Also use a rubber hitch plug that fits inside the receiver, with a twist I have the skid in regular and the rubber plug in from the front, just fits between spare tire to fit in, no sand or dirt inside receiver then. Before there would be sand all packed in receiver…..Jack

Idlethunder

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I leave the ball mount in mine with a locking pin.

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I run the BA skid plate with dampener so it doesn't rattle
Jeep Gladiator What kind of plug do you keep in your rear end? BA side pic
Jeep Gladiator What kind of plug do you keep in your rear end? BA top pic

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
My son purchased a 10 year old, one owner Tundra that the original owner had left the ball mount in the receiver since day one… it was rusted in solid. And still is. This was a well maintained, garaged truck in Massachusetts. How do you keep the same happening to any truck in the salt belt If you leave something in all the time?

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Don't use it as a recovery point. Seen too many videos of that being used and the hitch failing.

A tailgate step or skid plate are good choices though.

But remember that if your concern is "vibration wearing the paint causing rust" then you really don't want anything in there except softer plastic or rubber. Everything's going to vibrate in the receiver, you just need to make sure that whatever you put in there is significantly softer than the metal so it wears instead.
A simple wrap or two of electrical tape solves the clunking / vibration. Works like a charm.

Sponsored

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
A guy goes to his Dr for some medical issues
The Dr. prescribes some suppository medication to help with the situation
2 weeks later the patient comes back for a follow up visit and is complaining about the same issue
The Dr. Asks "Did you properly take the medication I prescribed?"
the irate patient replies,

"Of course I did, Do I look like an idiot? it's not like I put them up my butt."

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Get your mind out of the gutter...

So after leaving my receiver hitch in for quite awhile, I've decided that I probably shouldn't do that due to vibration wearing off the paint and whatnot, leading to rusting. So it got me thinking, if I take it out, what should I replace it with? Plastic plug? Nothing? Recovery point? A shield in case I get rear ended?

What are you guys running?
Been running a plastic plug in it for sometime but once my Diode Dynamics Reverse light plug comes in that will take its place

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase