First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have been using Amsoil @ 5k. Getting ready for my 3rd oil change...just hit 15k.
Sponsored

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
I used Shell Roto T6 in my Ram ecodiesel, no issues

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I no longer have a diesel vehicle, but if I did, Shell Rotella T-6 is all that would go in it.

Sponsored

Saltymedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Sport Eco-d
Occupation
Retired Fire-Medic
Wasn't aware of this but of info. Strange, however, seeing that it was the oil they switched to in the last gen eco after initially recommending the pennzoil which they found was not up to snuff.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
For the diesel :)
Sorry I missed that...
In our diesels (2014 GC and a 2016 F-350) we run Shell Rotella T6. You will not find a better oil out there and it is available everywhere, including Wally World.

Sponsored

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
Sorry I missed that...
In our diesels (2014 GC and a 2016 F-350) we run Shell Rotella T6. You will not find a better oil out there and it is available everywhere, including Wally World.
There's a long thread over in the JL forums about dealerships using T6, which doesn't have the MS-12991 spec from Chrysler, for which they've since changed.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
do not use T6 in gen 3 ecodiesels.
Unfortunately no bueno for the exhaust garbage.

Use the bottle that has the API SN+ rating along with MS-12991

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
do not use T6 in gen 3 ecodiesels.
Unfortunately no bueno for the exhaust garbage.

Use the bottle that has the API SN+ rating along with MS-12991
The SN rating refers to gasoline engines. Diesel engines are rated on the C scale. Currently CK-4. I really think that the Jeep Diesel manual has a typo...
‘While we’re talking about the owners manual it states that 5w-40 is REQUIRED but that the MS-12991 certification is RECCOMENDED.

There is a game that is played between vehicle manufacturers and oil companies with each manufacturer “recommending” their boutique certification to the tune of several hundred thousand dollars to the oil company. I was told this by the R&D head of Ethyl Oil who makes the additive package for many of the large oil companies. It was their bread and butter and they made millions doing it. Some companies, like Shell refused to play that game and eventually some manufacturers like Ford and FCA (in the past) acknowledged that as long as the oil meets the current spec and the proper weight is used there will not be any measurable wear beyond the set parameters...The most stringent boutique certificate is the one for MB diesels and T6 meets those..

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/pro...87ba51ea73920ac535f0c62343d6043f/t6-5w-40.pdf

keep in mind that these “recommended” oils are frequently a product of a marketing agreement between the manufacturer and the oil company. That’s not to say that the recommended oil isn’t good it just means that there are other alternatives that are at least as good.
In the Porsche world which I am a long time member oil debates can get pretty intense. The factory recommends Mobil 1 which is a great oil but others like Castrol in the same weight have better performance...Marketing...

I know that I won’t convince many people here and that’s OK. I am just putting out another data point for the informed consumer to make their own decision.

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
The SN rating refers to gasoline engines. Diesel engines are rated on the C scale. Currently CK-4. I really think that the Jeep Diesel manual has a typo...
‘While we’re talking about the owners manual it states that 5w-40 is REQUIRED but that the MS-12991 certification is RECCOMENDED.

There is a game that is played between vehicle manufacturers and oil companies with each manufacturer “recommending” their boutique certification to the tune of several hundred thousand dollars to the oil company. I was told this by the R&D head of Ethyl Oil who makes the additive package for many of the large oil companies. It was their bread and butter and they made millions doing it. Some companies, like Shell refused to play that game and eventually some manufacturers like Ford and FCA (in the past) acknowledged that as long as the oil meets the current spec and the proper weight is used there will not be any measurable wear beyond the set parameters...The most stringent boutique certificate is the one for MB diesels and T6 meets those..

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/pro...87ba51ea73920ac535f0c62343d6043f/t6-5w-40.pdf

keep in mind that these “recommended” oils are frequently a product of a marketing agreement between the manufacturer and the oil company. That’s not to say that the recommended oil isn’t good it just means that there are other alternatives that are at least as good.
In the Porsche world which I am a long time member oil debates can get pretty intense. The factory recommends Mobil 1 which is a great oil but others like Castrol in the same weight have better performance...Marketing...

I know that I won’t convince many people here and that’s OK. I am just putting out another data point for the informed consumer to make their own decision.
guilty, I run T-6 in my 3.0L MB diesel (212K currently) though it has dpf delete. cant afford repairs or down time in work van over emission problem..

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure

I was merely helping him identify which oil from his list that he had by referencing SN+

if a warranty question comes up, that strategy could become an issue.
I can buy 55 gallon drums of mobile delvac 5w-40 for $600 but if the motor shits the bed inside the 100k warranty and Jeep wanted to be a holes, that massive savings turns into a major L
Sponsored