Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Time to look under the dash. I was told when I bought my truck that the dealer already had the tracker installed. I declined the extra charge. Wonder if it’s always on Or did they really disable it.

Any lights or anything on it?
Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
No lights, no indications at all. It's just a pigtail plugged into the OBD port, then a long cable wrapped up and strapped to another cable along with the device as pictured. Unless that connector had fallen out of the bracket, I'd have never known until I went to do a brake controller and started fishing around, or I went to install a dead pedal which I plan on doing.

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
I must have been confused. I didn’t find anything under the JT dash So I looked under my wife’s JL and found this contraption. What Is this? I’m going to start wearing a foil hat soon, big brother watching?

C9896BDE-2B7A-44C1-AD72-DEEDCC3BABFA.jpeg

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Could be for warranty claims if they can show you were offroading not just for non payments. Also could very well have been on the truck not knowing if someone is gonna pay cash or lease at 15% interest rate bc of bad credit.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's pretty obvious this dealer puts them on ALL as this was a custom order and prepped and delivered a few hours later, all paid for. And they knew that when it came in as the sales guy sent me a photo of it right after it landed before it was prepped - the only one they prepped that day.

Warranty claims - hardly. Not only are these made for that, but they don't need a GPS to tell what is covered and when or under what conditions. They'd have no clue based on location.

Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Simple. You paid cash. There must be more. They want to know where your Jeep is in case there is a lot more at that location. Simple.

But you shouldn’t be paranoid.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Simple. You paid cash. There must be more. They want to know where your Jeep is in case there is a lot more at that location. Simple.

But you shouldn’t be paranoid.
Not paranoid - annoyed.
My guess is that their shop is told to install on every single vehicle they process and that makes sense, they don't miss any that they may need to track (lease" and on the others, like mine, they simply don't use it. It's a lot easier than trying to get it onto some and not on others. Just annoying, that's all.
I'll take it out tomorrow, put the connector back in the bracket and toss it in with my other electronic goodies I've collected.
Oh, I also cut the tags off mattresses and pillows and our cat's toy rats............

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I bet it was there in the Sport S model we test drove. I thought it interesting that this guy handed me the key fob and said "enjoy" for the test drive, and he walked back inside. No time limit, no "see you in 5 minutes".

Yes, that's how I'd describe it - inline with the OBD port, like a piggyback - likely where it gets power, I suppose.

I ordered it in October and gave them $100 deposit. I picked it up evening of the day it arrived (mid-November) and paid for the rest - no loans involved. Not exactly a high-risk buyer.
So when the service guy said "that's probably the GPS" when I asked him what fell out from under the dash and is dangling by the diagnostic port area, that's what he meant!
Don’t be so paranoid. Dealerships here don’t allow customers to go with customers on test drives due to COVID protocols.

The two matters are unrelated. They probably have that system for inventory tracking and they are supposed to remove them upon delivery but someone forgot. Jesus. Everyone forgets about human error and the default is all dealerships are evil.

This isn’t all directed at you, it’s just super frustrating.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t be so paranoid. Dealerships here don’t allow customers to go with customers on test drives due to COVID protocols.

The two matters are unrelated. They probably have that system for inventory tracking and they are supposed to remove them upon delivery but someone forgot. Jesus. Everyone forgets about human error and the default is all dealerships are evil.

This isn’t all directed at you, it’s just super frustrating.
Paranoid? LOL - you misread - ANNOYED, wondering what the heck? Why on a special order Jeep that wasn't there for more than 8 hours. I already said I suspected they put them on ALL vehicles that they prepped.

Covid protocols?
What's that got to do with an order in October?
Ah, bet you didn't read my post- I said ordered October, picked up mid-November.
This is also Iowa, more laid back on the covid stuff but in this case, it was last year. Few in the dealership wear masks - it's crazy here with lack of protocol.

And yes, dealers DO go on test drives- - or DID.
This was the first one ever who simply handed over keys. We were both shocked when he simply said "enjoy". I'd been to others who were in the back seat talking the whole time. This was a totally different thing.

it looks like I'm not the only one who had one of these - I've been finding a few references to these from others who also found them on their Jeeps.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Paranoid? LOL - you misread - ANNOYED, wondering what the heck? Why on a special order Jeep that wasn't there for more than 8 hours. I already said I suspected they put them on ALL vehicles that they prepped.

Covid protocols?
What's that got to do with an order in October?
Ah, bet you didn't read my post- I said ordered October, picked up mid-November.
This is also Iowa, more laid back on the covid stuff but in this case, it was last year. Few in the dealership wear masks - it's crazy here with lack of protocol.

And yes, dealers DO go on test drives- - or DID.
This was the first one ever who simply handed over keys. We were both shocked when he simply said "enjoy". I'd been to others who were in the back seat talking the whole time. This was a totally different thing.

it looks like I'm not the only one who had one of these - I've been finding a few references to these from others who also found them on their Jeeps.
Ok then. Double down and dispute the facts I told you. It’s 100% miscommunication and human error. I’m not going to waste the time explaining dealership PDI processes and the fact that every car is treated the same, unless there is a breakdown in communication between sales and service, which happens literally every day. Your point about them trusting you to test drive on your own? Gawd forbid them using a judgement call and trusting you. That doesn’t happen very often. What a bunch of dicks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Again, you didn't fully read - I did mention that they likely did it with all vehicles going through so that none would be missed that required such a device. I said earlier on that they probably did that to all instead of having to track which would and which would not.
Here is my quote from before -
>>It's pretty obvious this dealer puts them on ALL as this was a custom order and prepped and delivered a few hours later, all paid for <<

And here's my post before you jumped on me for being paranoid and not knowing how prep works -
>>My guess is that their shop is told to install on every single vehicle they process and that makes sense, they don't miss any that they may need to track (lease" and on the others, like mine, they simply don't use it. It's a lot easier than trying to get it onto some and not on others. Just annoying, that's all.
I'll take it out tomorrow, put the connector back in the bracket and toss it in with my other electronic goodies I've collected. <<

And then you jump in after it's all resolved, all questions are answered and jump all over it. It was done, finished, resolved - no reason to jump on it. I had my answers, said I did, said I was going to remove it, said I wasn't paranoid - just annoyed (especially with the bulk up there and the fact they didn't have it secured and their add-in fell down and was in the way - and they should disclose that THEY modified the vehicle by adding an electronic device.)

You were even guessing - your quote -
>>They probably have that system for inventory tracking <<
"Probably"........ so you didn't know, but jumped on me.

Anywho - I had my answers, I gave my resolution.
You must have had a bad night, sorry.

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Again, you didn't fully read - I did mention that they likely did it with all vehicles going through so that none would be missed that required such a device. I said earlier on that they probably did that to all instead of having to track which would and which would not.
Here is my quote from before -
>>It's pretty obvious this dealer puts them on ALL as this was a custom order and prepped and delivered a few hours later, all paid for <<

And here's my post before you jumped on me for being paranoid and not knowing how prep works -
>>My guess is that their shop is told to install on every single vehicle they process and that makes sense, they don't miss any that they may need to track (lease" and on the others, like mine, they simply don't use it. It's a lot easier than trying to get it onto some and not on others. Just annoying, that's all.
I'll take it out tomorrow, put the connector back in the bracket and toss it in with my other electronic goodies I've collected. <<

And then you jump in after it's all resolved, all questions are answered and jump all over it. It was done, finished, resolved - no reason to jump on it. I had my answers, said I did, said I was going to remove it, said I wasn't paranoid - just annoyed (especially with the bulk up there and the fact they didn't have it secured and their add-in fell down and was in the way - and they should disclose that THEY modified the vehicle by adding an electronic device.)

You were even guessing - your quote -
>>They probably have that system for inventory tracking <<
"Probably"........ so you didn't know, but jumped on me.

Anywho - I had my answers, I gave my resolution.
You must have had a bad night, sorry.
These things are complete bullshit. My dealer did not disclose anything to me throughout my entire purchase. Go into financing and was asked if I wanted the "alarm". I was slightly dumbfounded, alarm? What alarm? The factory Jeep alarm? So I declined because I did not want some garbage third party alarm installed.

Purchase complete late at night, we are starving and the truck has been in "detailing" for well over an hour. My salesperson comes out and says, it should be ready soon, they're just removing the alarm.

Umm, what? So apparently they are installing this trash on everything and in my case were trying to upcharge for it. I ended up finding about 4 vamp clips in the harness under the passenger dash with a clipped ground wire drilled into the body when I installed my AUX switched, really pissed me off.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
These things are complete bullshit. My dealer did not disclose anything to me throughout my entire purchase. Go into financing and was asked if I wanted the "alarm". I was slightly dumbfounded, alarm? What alarm? The factory Jeep alarm? So I declined because I did not want some garbage third party alarm installed.

Purchase complete late at night, we are starving and the truck has been in "detailing" for well over an hour. My salesperson comes out and says, it should be ready soon, they're just removing the alarm.

Umm, what? So apparently they are installing this trash on everything and in my case were trying to upcharge for it. I ended up finding about 4 vamp clips in the harness under the passenger dash with a clipped ground wire drilled into the body when I installed my AUX switched, really pissed me off.
That would tick me off finding they had clipped into a harness and drilled for anything.
That alarm stuff would make me rather unhappy. I won't even let trailer shops do wiring - I hate those clip-on hacks. Do it right!

At least the GPS tracker device is a simple fix - I unplug it, cut the black tie strap, put the original connector back in the bracket, done. No harm done. (except to annoy me with something added that FELL OUT OF THE BRACKET and hung down in the way)
So no need drag that out - I know what it is, I know how to unplug it, done, finished, gone.

It sort of bugs me when I know that these vehicles can be easily hacked by plugging a simple device into the CANbus.
I think that was the thing (and maybe why some accused me of being paranoid) - not that a dealer may have, but that these CAN be hacked by adding a device that allows outside access. The truck DID sit outside unlocked for a couple of hours when last worked on, it wasn't watched, their staff wouldn't have seen anyone messing with it. That's what bothered me when people mention "paranoid". Annoyed more than anything but I wanted to find out what it was exactly because the truck did sit out there unlocked, unwatched.
I know from my IT experience, they CAN be hacked IF you have physical access.

Likely they are so cheap they just leave them because it costs them more to pay someone to take it back out than to just let it go. So I suspect it wasn't to be removed - cost of leaving it vs. cost of removal. They're dirt cheap these days compared to over $100/hour shop rate.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I removed the now-non-mystery device. It sure cleaned things up in there!
Pic below shows the fuse holder with cover (so it does take power via the ODBII port).
And if anyone wonders why I was annoyed, I circled the part that literally FELL DOWN by and under my left foot. That's a big chunk to have under foot and getting tangled up with you as you exit.

It was also annoying because it says they didn't get that thing clipped in, and when they read the port last, they knocked it loose and didn't notice or if they did, they didn't fix it.

I'm a perfectionist and when someone doesn't make it like factory or misses something, I want it right. You go adding stuff to my truck, it had better look factory and not fall out on my feet! LOL
One of the reasons people like my 4.0 swap (in the SX4) so much is because I made it all look factory, the PDC, the PCM, fuel system, wiring merges, in-tank electric pump, all of it looks factory. I even fooled more than one person thinking that the car had come from the factory that way.
Anyone working on this truck had better do the same.

Anyway, all resolved, device removed, here it is, the big wad of wiring and the device they had folded up and strapped to another cable up there, and the circled part that fell into my feet. The part not circled is what was strapped up barely under the dash to another wire bundle.

End of mystery, solved, no problems, no paranoia. AND - the OBD connector is snug in the bracket exactly as it should be, solid, won't fall out.

Jeep Gladiator What the heck is this mystery device? GPS-tracker-1

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Hey is this the thread called where in the world is shadows papa? I was looking on my tracker and could not find him or her's jeep truck! Since I can't track from build step to build step, don't know delivery date or location, I'm so glad to find out I can track after the private citizen takes ownership of their private property!

Jeep Gladiator What the heck is this mystery device? 735ab6874420d6c5a9f94ffe54f5e777
Sponsored