calicorks

calicorks

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
I thought I read/heard somewhere that the springs were a little stiffer than the Rubicon to give it more control and stability.
Found this article about the springs.

The Jeep Gladiator Mojave package represents the highwater mark of Jeep suspensions to date. While the Rubicon package employs specially tuned springs and monotube Fox shocks front and rear, the Mojave ups the ante, literally. Mojave features a different spring rate than Rubicon, resulting in Mojave sitting 1-inch taller. The extra lift is thanks to the need for more uptravel before the suspension bottoms during hard running off-road and the spring's tuning to complement the Fox shocks. The shocks are specially designed Fox 2.5-inch internal bypass units with remote reservoirs that mount behind the front bumper under a special silver skidplate. In lieu of the standard foam cell jounce bumpers found on the Rubicon, the front of the Mojave package features Fox hydraulic jounce bumpers. We asked specifically and yes, they are hydraulic bumps, not air bumps. The Fox hydraulic bump shafts are protected by a rubbery sleeve to prevent rock, sand, and chip damage. Out back, internal bypass Fox 2.5-inch shocks with external piggyback reservoirs pull damping duties and a reformulated foam jounce bumpers with increased impact handling characteristics compared with Rubicon's rear jounce bumpers the axle from crashing into the frame. As with all bypass shock designs, the internal bypass Fox 2.5-inch shocks allow for a smooth, comfortable ride in small-chatter, low-impact situations on- and off-road, while still being able to ramp up damping force to handle hard hits and landings. The external bypass cans allow increased fluid capacity and aid in shock cooling for fade-free performance in extreme conditions. And finally, where Rubicon package features an electronic-disconnect front swaybar, the Mojave swaybar is fixed and not able to be disconnected.

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
When you are ready let us know, lol

But I would not bother with the Mojave if you are going to lift it and take away that desert tuned suspension. IMO, Mojave stock (depending on the price) if you will leave it stock it would be great. Anything else just build the rig from another base. Seems like you want to lift it, so I would go with a rubicon (since that is the only other trim option you are interested in) then you keep the disconnecting swaybar. Really it seems like a simple decision based on the parameters you put out there :)

Last edited:

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
What I think is cool is that Jeep has put out a package (and probably a long term one) that is significantly different in equipment offered, not just a different combo of their existing stuff (North Face, or whatever it is for example). Seems like the response is very positive; hopefully there will be a Mojave Wrangler as well. A very well timed move with the Bronco about to be released. Fun year this year.

Was also surprised at the High Altitude package already. Not my cup of tea for this model, but I think it shows commitment to the model to offer it this early on, and I believe it will sell well. Again, FCA is really good at tweaking what they have . . .

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
You have the rear locker which some (including myself) would argue is all you need for most offroading even rock crawling.
I used to have a JKUR.
With front and rear lockers, I have gone through the following terrain followed by guys with rear-only lockers who failed in their attempts to follow: muddy bogs; steep muddy hills; rocky steps; and deep snow.

Not only could I make better progress, but I could do it with lower speed, more control, and less lateral sliding.

Sponsored

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
... I don't see myself doing serious rock crawling and really don't see the need for sway bar disconnects. Fire Roads, back country exploring, and daily driving are what I will likely see myself using the truck for. ...
Washboard roads are a bit smoother to drive when disconnected. And, that reduction in vibration contributes to not only personal comfort, but improved reliability. You may avoid a brake caliper bolt fall out in the middle of nowhere, just as you're preparing to cross a 7,000 foot pass over to the other side of the middle of nowhere ...

9:33 if not forwarded ...

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
My personal opinion would be to wait until people start buying these things and test them in real world experiences then pull the trigger. Let someone else make a 50k mistake and say they wish they had bought a Rubi instead or vise versa. We have no drive time with this truck setup. Will it be great or be a flop who knows. All we know are what parts they threw under it and a few slow trail videos in the desert. None going through trails in the woods.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
It just occured to me that the Mojave Edition may be a pre-emptive stirke against the soon to be released Bronco.

DAGORED

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3500 Ram
My personal opinion would be to wait until people start buying these things and test them in real world experiences then pull the trigger. Let someone else make a 50k mistake and say they wish they had bought a Rubi instead or vise versa. We have no drive time with this truck setup. Will it be great or be a flop who knows. All we know are what parts they threw under it and a few slow trail videos in the desert. None going through trails in the woods.
Totally agree with this. I won’t be ready to buy my Gladiator for at least 12 months more likely in 18 months. This will give me plenty of time to see how well it all works out.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Totally agree with this. I won’t be ready to buy my Gladiator for at least 12 months more likely in 18 months. This will give me plenty of time to see how well it all works out.
Well by then they will have come out with five more models. How will you decide between the Lunar and Mariana Trench editions??

Sponsored

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
I’ve had my heart set on an almost loaded Rubicon diesel with just about everything except the extra safety stuff, and bed liner. Was planning on doing 37inch tires, and a 3 inch lift. I also wanted to add a winch to my steel bumper.

I’m not interested in hard core rock climbing but I want a capable truck that can go off the beaten path and not worry at all if my truck will make it. And going in snow is important too. We like to go camping, drive in harsh snow conditions to go snowboarding. I don’t own anything to tow. The Rubicon is more than capable and I like the option that if I was going to go up a trail with rocks, I’m good.

Now that Jeep is bringing out the Mojave I’m doing some comparisons for my personal needs. I love going fast, and I actually live in the desert for now. I’m leaning towards the Mojave as going fast in a desert setting is appealing. I have a muscle car now and love how fast it goes. When I drove a Gladiator it felt too slow. The diesel will definitely feel stronger with the extra torque and have better gas mileage.

My concern is, do you guys think the Mojave is just as good as the Rubicon in snow? I know I can’t add the steel bumper, or winch (I mean I can but Jeep said they didn’t because of too much weight). I’m also concerned about adding any lifts due to the Mojave is set up well the way it is for extreme speeds (drools). Are any of you guys doing a lift on Mojave, if so what’s it going to do to performance?

This thread was not set up to ask witch is the better set up, Sport max tow, vs Rubicon, vs Mojave. They are all built to do something specific so I don’t care to have a debate over what’s better, save that for another thread.

Any input is helpful. One thing for sure, I will have a Gladiator!
I wouldn't lift a mojave, you'd be wasting around $3k in fancy shocks.

A sport S max tow will probably give you everything you need without a bunch of stuff you don't - nothing you plan to do with it sounds like you need a locker. You can still do desert running and rocks in a regular Gladiator, it has BLD which get you 90% of the places lockers will, so if you don't plan to do them often and plan to run a winch, those are more nice to haves than needed and you wouldn't be wasting money on suspension stuff you plan to rip out to lift it anyway.

Gray_Bison

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LBZ Duramax, Q5 Quattro 2.0T
Occupation
Maintenance Lead
One thing I question is why people would turn this into an over landing vehicle. Unless they're using a ground tent, adding a RTT would completely defeat the purpose of being able to go fast through the dunes and off camber desert trails as it's designed to do. as well as needing to beef up the suspension to account for the added weight. at that point it's no longer with in it's design element. The only mod I see may possible w/out compromising the design of the vehicle is replace the sway bar with a manual disconnecting one.

As intrigued as I am w/the Mojave and the ability to go fast, it won't serve what we need, so I need to convince the wife that I'll get the Max Tow and she can trade in her Audi for the Mojave and it can stay stock for her to be able to get in and out easier on the daily. :LOL::fingerscrossed::jk:

88mmm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland, 911 TT
If snow on the way to the ski resort is the issue get a sport or overland with the Trac Loc LSD. It will serve you better then a locker.
Sponsored