calicorks

calicorks

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
The main topic of the post was if the Mojave is as capable as the Rubicon. I stated I didn’t want to go hard core rock crawling, but want a rig ready for anything I put at it. I understand the difference in set ups and would not touch a Mojave suspension, only the Rubicon, eventually.

I still think the Rubicon is a better for me as I won’t be going crazy fast in the desert either. I do love fast cars and I know the Gladiator is by no means fast, trust me or I would have one right now instead of my Mustang if it was fast. To me, this is what sparked interest into the Mojave.

It seems it’s worth to have the extra goodies of the Rubicon. I have no intentions of turning this rig into an Overlander either. In my eyes, this truck will be with me as long as it can. I’m going to go all out, even if I don’t need it today, I know I will later. I plan to take lots of trips with my dogs, and want a truck. I’ve had a Silverado, and a Tacoma and it sure was nice to have a truck.

Everyone on here has a lot of different ideas, and that’s ok. I’m just trying to figure what’s best for me. I appreciate all the ideas and you guys have no idea how helpful it’s been!

I’ve heard you guys mention I can somehow convert the Rubicon to go fast in 4H like the Mojave, can you tell me more about this?
Sponsored

OP
OP
calicorks

calicorks

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
If snow on the way to the ski resort is the issue get a sport or overland with the Trac Loc LSD. It will serve you better then a locker.
No, it’s not snow on the way to the ski resort I’m concerned about. I live in the desert now but not forever. I am looking for a capable rig that can take it all. The reason I’m waiting to buy is to save to get what I want. It’s most likely the Rubicon, but the Mojave has my attention.

Gray_Bison

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LBZ Duramax, Q5 Quattro 2.0T
Occupation
Maintenance Lead
The main topic of the post was if the Mojave is as capable as the Rubicon. I stated I didn’t want to go hard core rock crawling, but want a rig ready for anything I put at it. I understand the difference in set ups and would not touch a Mojave suspension, only the Rubicon, eventually.

I still think the Rubicon is a better for me as I won’t be going crazy fast in the desert either. I do love fast cars and I know the Gladiator is by no means fast, trust me or I would have one right now instead of my Mustang if it was fast. To me, this is what sparked interest into the Mojave.

It seems it’s worth to have the extra goodies of the Rubicon. I have no intentions of turning this rig into an Overlander either. In my eyes, this truck will be with me as long as it can. I’m going to go all out, even if I don’t need it today, I know I will later. I plan to take lots of trips with my dogs, and want a truck. I’ve had a Silverado, and a Tacoma and it sure was nice to have a truck.

Everyone on here has a lot of different ideas, and that’s ok. I’m just trying to figure what’s best for me. I appreciate all the ideas and you guys have no idea how helpful it’s been!

I’ve heard you guys mention I can somehow convert the Rubicon to go fast in 4H like the Mojave, can you tell me more about this?
I agree the Rubicon would be better. And since your already planning on putting the $$ out for a lift, I believe you could reach out to a group like EVO and get a lift set up that can do both desert running/and rock crawling so that your set up for what ever situation your trips present.

I've read the Tazer allows you to engage the locker in 4H, although from what I've read it won't go as fast since it's a different ratio.

NoBigDeal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
One other thing to keep in mind about the Mojave is the possible 1" of ride height above the Rubicon. If that turns out to be accurate, then theoretically, all you would need is 1" spacer lift to be able to clear 37s without any issue. Although not the best, they are cheap and would allow you to keep your factory suspension.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
One thing I question is why people would turn this into an over landing vehicle. Unless they're using a ground tent, adding a RTT would completely defeat the purpose of being able to go fast through the dunes and off camber desert trails as it's designed to do. as well as needing to beef up the suspension to account for the added weight. at that point it's no longer with in it's design element.
I think the Mojave has the potential to be a good base to build an overland vehicle out of. Overlanding has more in common with fast desert driving then slow rock crawling does. Most of my overland driving has consisted of lots of highway (getting to the area I'm going to explore), lots of logging/fire/dirt roads, lots and lots of washboard roads, and a few sections of technical stuff. The Mojave's stock suspension sounds like (since we don't have any real specks on it) it will handle all of those conditions nicely at any speed and especially bombing down dirt roads at higher speeds.

Throwing a RTT up high will affect how fast you can take dunes and sharp turns due to the higher center of gravity, but that is not the goal in overlanding. The Mojave is rated at 1200lbs in stock form, so I don't foresee adding a RTT requiring a beefed up suspension to account for the ~200lbs in extra weight.

I guess my point is that just because you will not be driving the Mojave at high speeds, that does not negate it working well for an overland rig. And saying that you would not be using it for its designed element would be technically correct, but then we'd have to say the same thing about overlanding in a Rubicon.

What I do find really intriguing about the release of the Mojave and the High Altitude editions is the direction that Jeep is going in. In the reveal presser at Chicago, Jim said that they are building and offering the versions that we have been asking for. So it is quite possible we will see a true overland version in the not too distant future. With Jeep releasing all the different trim levels, it seems to me that they are trying to build excitement and momentum to help push them through the upcoming Bronco release. Hopefully we see more hardware focused editions released in the future.

Sponsored

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
I don't think there is one size fits all OP. Jeep had a Moab edition. I don't know if it is still available or not. Mojave may be a special edition to capture a segment of the market. Who knows how long it will be around, but I would surmise the Rubicon is here to stay.

Each package has its' own attributes, none of which is "ready for anything." A lot of any vehicles capability comes in with driver experince and necessary equipment inevitably involves a discussion on personal preference and opinions. Get what suits you when you are ready to buy then go from there.

Don't want to see you get paralysis by analysis.

Last edited:

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Right, which to me means that the stock suspension (whichever version) isn't a big factor.
One of the selling points of the JT is that, in stock form, you don't have to modify the suspension for overlanding duty. It can handle 1200+lbs stock, even in Rubicon form. I've had it loaded close to that off-road and it's fine. It's actually just highway duty where it suffers when loaded as the factory shocks are under damped, so it oscillates more than it should.
One thing I question is why people would turn this into an over landing vehicle. Unless they're using a ground tent, adding a RTT would completely defeat the purpose of being able to go fast through the dunes and off camber desert trails as it's designed to do. as well as needing to beef up the suspension to account for the added weight. at that point it's no longer with in it's design element. The only mod I see may possible w/out compromising the design of the vehicle is replace the sway bar with a manual disconnecting one.

As intrigued as I am w/the Mojave and the ability to go fast, it won't serve what we need, so I need to convince the wife that I'll get the Max Tow and she can trade in her Audi for the Mojave and it can stay stock for her to be able to get in and out easier on the daily. :LOL::fingerscrossed::jk:
Why would you have to modify the suspension to carry a 250lb tent?

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
The TaZer JL Mini will allow you to use the rear locker in 2H and the rear only and the front and rear locker in 4H. I have one and use it all the time on my JTR. Still it would be nice to have an update To allow this without the TaZer. I'd still keep the TaZer because you can do so much more with it.

Gray_Bison

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LBZ Duramax, Q5 Quattro 2.0T
Occupation
Maintenance Lead
I think the Mojave has the potential to be a good base to build an overland vehicle out of. Overlanding has more in common with fast desert driving then slow rock crawling does. Most of my overland driving has consisted of lots of highway (getting to the area I'm going to explore), lots of logging/fire/dirt roads, lots and lots of washboard roads, and a few sections of technical stuff. The Mojave's stock suspension sounds like (since we don't have any real specks on it) it will handle all of those conditions nicely at any speed and especially bombing down dirt roads at higher speeds.

Throwing a RTT up high will affect how fast you can take dunes and sharp turns due to the higher center of gravity, but that is not the goal in overlanding. The Mojave is rated at 1200lbs in stock form, so I don't foresee adding a RTT requiring a beefed up suspension to account for the ~200lbs in extra weight.

I guess my point is that just because you will not be driving the Mojave at high speeds, that does not negate it working well for an overland rig. And saying that you would not be using it for its designed element would be technically correct, but then we'd have to say the same thing about overlanding in a Rubicon.

What I do find really intriguing about the release of the Mojave and the High Altitude editions is the direction that Jeep is going in. In the reveal presser at Chicago, Jim said that they are building and offering the versions that we have been asking for. So it is quite possible we will see a true overland version in the not too distant future. With Jeep releasing all the different trim levels, it seems to me that they are trying to build excitement and momentum to help push them through the upcoming Bronco release. Hopefully we see more hardware focused editions released in the future.
One of the selling points of the JT is that, in stock form, you don't have to modify the suspension for overlanding duty. It can handle 1200+lbs stock, even in Rubicon form. I've had it loaded close to that off-road and it's fine. It's actually just highway duty where it suffers when loaded as the factory shocks are under damped, so it oscillates more than it should.

Why would you have to modify the suspension to carry a 250lb tent?
I suppose It was a lack of clarification on my part. While yes the center of gravity would be higher and not optimal for the high speed performance aspect of the Mojave, even if it's and extra 200 lbs, you also have to consider in the gear that goes with overlanding. everything that goes into the bed that adds significant weight. Now if your just packing an RTT some water, fuel, and MREs then sure your at a minimum weight addition.

The difference I see in overlanding a Rubicon VS a Mojave is the speed. RTT add a higher center of gravity, easier to control in a slower off road environment then a fast paced off road environment.and if it's a bed top tent(?) then your adding that much extra weight to the rear with no compensation up front. At that point, just because it's rated at 1200lbs payload, does not mean you can use it for it's intended purpose at that weight, unless I've missed a statement that says otherwise. Would you tow a 65000lbs TT through a 4L traiI cause you have a Max Tow? I get you have to drive to get where your going, via highway and service roads, any jeep can do that. I'm talking about the intended purpose for the specific model. I've seen Rubicons function as a Rubicon w/a RTT just fine. Now going full send in a Mojave w/a RTT ? Maybe i'm wrong and i'm over thinking this whole thing. Thats why i started out my original comment with I Question.

Sorry for the hijack OP!

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
I suppose It was a lack of clarification on my part. While yes the center of gravity would be higher and not optimal for the high speed performance aspect of the Mojave, even if it's and extra 200 lbs, you also have to consider in the gear that goes with overlanding. everything that goes into the bed that adds significant weight. Now if your just packing an RTT some water, fuel, and MREs then sure your at a minimum weight addition.

The difference I see in overlanding a Rubicon VS a Mojave is the speed. RTT add a higher center of gravity, easier to control in a slower off road environment then a fast paced off road environment.and if it's a bed top tent(?) then your adding that much extra weight to the rear with no compensation up front. At that point, just because it's rated at 1200lbs payload, does not mean you can use it for it's intended purpose at that weight, unless I've missed a statement that says otherwise. Would you tow a 65000lbs TT through a 4L traiI cause you have a Max Tow? I get you have to drive to get where your going, via highway and service roads, any jeep can do that. I'm talking about the intended purpose for the specific model. I've seen Rubicons function as a Rubicon w/a RTT just fine. Now going full send in a Mojave w/a RTT ? Maybe i'm wrong and i'm over thinking this whole thing. Thats why i started out my original comment with I Question.

Sorry for the hijack OP!
I believe the point of a payload rating is that it can handle that and function as intended. There is nothing in the manual on my Rubicon that says you have to reduce weight off-road, or that the payload rating is a static rating. I don't anticipate the mojave is any different - that's why they have gross axle weights so you don't overload a single axle. I do have accessories that have both a static and dynamic rating (which a lot of racks/RTT's have), but afaik the payload rating is the payload rating provided you don't exceed gross axle weights. Of course, doing a full send with 1200lbs loaded is stupid, but imo doing a full send in any street vehicle is stupid loaded or not, and I wouldn't do it. For running down washboard roads or forestry trails, I'd have no concern running at or under payload rating. Like I said, highway is where it suffers most due to the shocks being under damped, but it's not like it's dangerous or limits it in any way, just could ride better.

I think the mojave will be a great overland vehicle for the desert midwest. I think for the east coast or rocky areas, the Rubicon will be better as you run into more technical off-road aspects and having to slow down a little in the non-technical areas usually isn't a problem, getting stuck is.

To op - I'd get a Rubicon and add mojave shocks, or mojave style shocks. Should give you the best of both worlds. You won't be able to full send it but will be able to run pretty any trail anywhere and have good manners in higher speed stuff.

Sponsored

OP
OP
calicorks

calicorks

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
I believe the point of a payload rating is that it can handle that and function as intended. There is nothing in the manual on my Rubicon that says you have to reduce weight off-road, or that the payload rating is a static rating. I don't anticipate the mojave is any different - that's why they have gross axle weights so you don't overload a single axle. I do have accessories that have both a static and dynamic rating (which a lot of racks/RTT's have), but afaik the payload rating is the payload rating provided you don't exceed gross axle weights. Of course, doing a full send with 1200lbs loaded is stupid, but imo doing a full send in any street vehicle is stupid loaded or not, and I wouldn't do it. For running down washboard roads or forestry trails, I'd have no concern running at or under payload rating. Like I said, highway is where it suffers most due to the shocks being under damped, but it's not like it's dangerous or limits it in any way, just could ride better.

I think the mojave will be a great overland vehicle for the desert midwest. I think for the east coast or rocky areas, the Rubicon will be better as you run into more technical off-road aspects and having to slow down a little in the non-technical areas usually isn't a problem, getting stuck is.

To op - I'd get a Rubicon and add mojave shocks, or mojave style shocks. Should give you the best of both worlds. You won't be able to full send it but will be able to run pretty any trail anywhere and have good manners in higher speed stuff.
This would be nice, I like the idea of adding the Mojave shocks. I feel if I don’t get the Rubicon I’d be missing out and I would want later. Plus, hopefully the diesel is available for the Rubicon. I want the diesel for the torque and more power as well as longer range per fill.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
This would be nice, I like the idea of adding the Mojave shocks. I feel if I don’t get the Rubicon I’d be missing out and I would want later. Plus, hopefully the diesel is available for the Rubicon. I want the diesel for the torque and more power as well as longer range per fill.
I would question putting the Mojave shocks on a diesel Rubicon. The diesel engine weighs 400lbs more and if Jeep is worried about the ~200lbs a steel bumper and winch would add... I'm sure the aftermarket will give us some good opens for the diesel, we'll just have to wait for them to come out.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Chevy and a Caddy
I would question putting the Mojave shocks on a diesel Rubicon. The diesel engine weighs 400lbs more and if Jeep is worried about the ~200lbs a steel bumper and winch would add... I'm sure the aftermarket will give us some good opens for the diesel, we'll just have to wait for them to come out.
I'm pretty sure they're not worried about the weight of a steel bumper and winch in relation to its suspension system. They're worried about that weight in relation to the Mojave's purpose.

From what I've read, the Rubicon will get the diesel but the Mojave won't.

Sidenote: the rear shocks on the Mojave aren't even available yet from Fox

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure they're not worried about the weight of a steel bumper and winch in relation to its suspension system. They're worried about that weight in relation to the Mojave's purpose.

Sidenote: the rear shocks on the Mojave aren't even available yet from Fox
I'm not sure we can separate "suspension system" and "purpose" here. One begets the other. I'm sure the front suspension can handle the weight, but it is going to increase how hard and how fast the front end tries to bottom out. They opted not to add the steel bumper and raised the front end up 1" to give it more dampening. I'm just guessing that 400lbs might not be the best thing to add to it.