Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
How can an axle twist that is located by upper and lower control arms and centered with a trackbar?

Any twist would be very minimal, right?
Loading and unloading of the rubber bushings. They act like springs. Minimal yes but - consider how badly compressed the bushing can be and double that. Even a half inch of compression and then expansion is going to be pretty "shocking" - then consider the thing loses and gains traction with each jolt.
I've seen race cars with 4 link rear suspension hop.
In fact, it eve gets talked about in car areas -
https://www.theengineblock.com/adjusting-that-rear-end-get-traction-under-control/
Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
Loading and unloading of the rubber bushings. They act like springs. Minimal yes but - consider how badly compressed the bushing can be and double that. Even a half inch of compression and then expansion is going to be pretty "shocking" - then consider the thing loses and gains traction with each jolt.
I've seen race cars with 4 link rear suspension hop.
In fact, it eve gets talked about in car areas -
https://www.theengineblock.com/adjusting-that-rear-end-get-traction-under-control/
Even with the twist of my diesel, I just donā€™t see it happening on a JT.

Someone with a GoPro needs to attach it underneath abs get a video.

Sponsored

4S50

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sportsman of Leisure
Mine hopped pretty readily in snow and sand with the factory Rubicon Fox shocks. At about 70k miles I replaced those with much stiffer Bilstein 5100s which improved the ride and handling, but it still had pretty ready axle hop I snow.
Today I got a chance to play around in some snow a bit and I did not get any axle hop. This was not really a definitive test, I would like to run around in snow for a few hours to try varied conditions; at first blush it seems that the kicker shock minimized (actually eliminated) axle hop. But, this was only maybe 30 minutes of playing around in some 12-18ā€ snow.
I spent the last week camped in the Idaho Sawtooth Mountains and explored many forest service type roads and found a lot of snow. I am happy to report that all rear axle hop I is gone, the kicker shock seems to have eliminated it completely.
Jeep Gladiator wheel hop in fresh snow CB5B2433-35EC-432D-BE46-D50DEB4A300D

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Thanks 4S50, I have experienced some wheel hop beach driving and have a differential shock on the way, brackets are there ,not too much work we will seeā€¦..Jack
Sponsored