Sponsored

Wheels for Winter

George5man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Does anyone have any advice on wheel brands that hold up well in the winter? I'm moving from AZ to Boston and want something that will not get destroyed by the road salt.

Also, who is everyone buying their wheels and tires from? I have been looking online at Custom Offsets, Quadratic and Extreme Terrain, but was also considering something local like Big O or Discount Tire.

I'd appreciate any feedback or recommendations.
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
If I were going to switch wheels/tires for winter, I'd get a set of the spare tire steels to run.

Have them powder coated/painted whatever color and be done with it.

OP
OP

George5man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I were going to switch wheels/tires for winter, I'd get a set of the spare tire steels to run.

Have them powder coated/painted whatever color and be done with it.
Yeah thats a good point. I suppose I would like to try and get something i could keep on year round and it hold up well. Dreaming I'm sure.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Yeah thats a good point. I suppose I would like to try and get something i could keep on year round and it hold up well. Dreaming I'm sure.
The stock Falken AT3s are 3 peak winter rated.

OP
OP

George5man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The stock Falken AT3s are 3 peak winter rated.
Yeah those are near the top of the list for tires. Hoping to get some wheels that can outlast the road salt as well. Will definitely keep the AT3s in mind though, thanks.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have any advice on wheel brands that hold up well in the winter? I'm moving from AZ to Boston and want something that will not get destroyed by the road salt.

Also, who is everyone buying their wheels and tires from? I have been looking online at Custom Offsets, Quadratic and Extreme Terrain, but was also considering something local like Big O or Discount Tire.

After you move, go to the local Discount Tire. They will be able to advise you on what is best for that area. They also have a large selection of wheels and tires. Discount Tire is my first choice.

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Why go steel wheel when you could run some stock Jeep take off wheels? If you don’t trust a standard all season tire like from the overland or sport look for some rubicon take offs. That or just get the wheels and put a tire of your choice on them. I would trust a stock wheel for durability over a cheap aftermarket steel wheel. I have my 4 wheels and tires I would sell for $500 with the new all season tires that came on them and these deals are readily available almost anywhere you are.

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator rubicon and 2018 Rubicon JL
I have Nitto G2s AT and they are awesome in the snow and ice .

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
Steel rusts. Aluminum does not. A heavily coated aluminum alloy will hold up better, whether it is factory or aftermarket. Might save some weight also. Get your underside coated to prevent some of the rust and wash the bottom off often.

Deleted member 30519

I've been running good year Duratracs and moto metal rotary rims for over 3 three winters now in NY and the rims are still prefect.

Sponsored

MNGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Power Wagon 2020 Gladiator

I run my OEM wheels in winter with the new Toyo AT 3 tires (35x11.5R17). I use Method 704 wheels in summer/fall when no chemicals are on the roads.

Dartboy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
In my experience, the rest of the vehicle will rust away before the wheels do. I'd be more worried about hard brake lines, etc. Most people buy a cheap set of steelies for their winter tires just for the ease of changeover and to save a few bucks.

A variety of AT tires are "Mountain/Snowflake" Winter rated, Everyone seems to have their favorites (I seem to be the only one in the world who doesn't care for BFG All-Terrains :) ) If you want to stick with a more all season/street tread- Nokian WR are the best I've ever driven in snow, though they are pretty expensive and tend to get loud as they age.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
OEM aluminum will hold up very well to the salt and crap they put on the roads up here, the factory steel wheels, at least the ones they use for the spare do not hold up well, they will start to rust pretty quickly at the seam where the barrel is welded to the center disk. I have run OEM Jeep wheels for years and never had a problem with corrosion.

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
This is my first Jeep but I had a tundra for 7 years with stock alloy wheels and no issues at all. There is a guy up this way that sells takeoffs as a business or there are usually some for short money on Craigslist.
Sponsored