Sponsored

When are E-lockers coming to market? >:(

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
The title's grumpy face is an expression of my current feelings. I went with a sport MaxT assuming that certainly lockers would hit the market soon. That hasn't been the case. Do we have any news that lockers for the 210/220 are even in development?
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
The title's grumpy face is an expression of my current feelings. I went with a sport MaxT assuming that certainly lockers would hit the market soon. That hasn't been the case. Do we have any news that lockers for the 210/220 are even in development?
What is the issue with the ARB Air Lockers ? It looks like they are made for the 210/220..

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Does anyone have any experience with the true track that comes with the max tow?
How does that diff perform off road?

I heard torque sensing differentials are not that good when one wheel is off the ground?

OP
OP

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Does anyone have any experience with the true track that comes with the max tow?
How does that diff perform off road?

I heard torque sensing differentials are not that good when one wheel is off the ground?
I have those. I almost immediately discovered how ineffective they are on rocks. I tried to climb a waterfall and saw how often my driver front tire wasn’t moving. It was a frustrating experience.

I wasn’t watching the back to see how the LSD was working, but me not climbing was the story of the day. I made it after some more throttle and bumping but that’s not my preferred method of cresting A ledge.

626E4C85-B736-4F42-B49D-65EF50874235.jpeg

500C4955-7DED-4EE2-82BD-3F5C48CF24F2.jpeg

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Tru-Trac is like limited slip. It has clutches in the axle and uses "friction modifier" when you change your lube. Tru-Trac together with BLD should work pretty well off-road... It is not as good as a locker though.... If one rear tire starts spinning off-road, tap the brakes, turn the wheel and the other should start turning again...

The biggest challenge with Tru-Trac/BLD will be a big incline with big ruts that raise one wheel off the ground or push one wheel against a big rock. You have to get aggressive to make it.... In this scenario, you really appreciate lockers.... , because you can just crawl through...

Note: If you do not have lockers, always air down to 20-22 psi, this will make a huge difference in traction and let your Tru-trac/BLD work better together...

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know if the Performa-TraK locker in the 2021 Bronco D44 the same as the Rubicon?

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
No, the Tru-Trac is a torsen, not clutch plates.

That's why I'm asking the question. if it was clutch type, I would be less worried about it...

Basically, I'm on the fence whether to get a 6 speed manual and put lockers in, or get the max tow and live with the limited slip for a while (or forever if it works well enough).

The other downside with lockers is that its an open diff when disengaged, and I would personally prefer a limited slip on the street.
Unfortunately, nobody has come up with a limited slip/locker as of yet. That would be the ultimate.

Tru-Trac is like limited slip. It has clutches in the axle and uses "friction modifier" when you change your lube. Tru-Trac together with BLD should work pretty well off-road... It is not as good as a locker though.... If one rear tire starts spinning off-road, tap the brakes, turn the wheel and the other should start turning again...

The biggest challenge with Tru-Trac/BLD will be a big incline with big ruts that raise one wheel off the ground or push one wheel against a big rock. You have to get aggressive to make it.... In this scenario, you really appreciate lockers.... , because you can just crawl through...

Note: If you do not have lockers, always air down to 20-22 psi, this will make a huge difference in traction and let your Tru-trac/BLD work better together...

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Yea, the front is open from factory.

I was more curious/concerned with the rear - whether it was good enough or not.

I wonder what would happen if you had a limited slip in the front also (like the Raptor)?

I have those. I almost immediately discovered how ineffective they are on rocks. I tried to climb a waterfall and saw how often my driver front tire wasn’t moving. It was a frustrating experience.

I wasn’t watching the back to see how the LSD was working, but me not climbing was the story of the day. I made it after some more throttle and bumping but that’s not my preferred method of cresting A ledge.

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
I put an e-locker in my JK rear and ran the TrueTrack in the front.

TrueTrack is better at reacting to loss of traction than a clutch type limited slip. It will not work when one wheel is off the ground, but, as others have pointed out, the BLD will kick in and grab your brake and that will cause power to be sent to the other wheel. You can tap your brakes to encourage this to happen and it works fairly well. The problem is that you can lose momentum. Certainly not as good as a locker but it does give you LSD for traction on the road.

Looking forward to an e-locker option as well. My 4x4 shop said it was likely going to be next year.

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Jeep JL is doing limited slip with Lockers in 2021... Limited slip all the way around with CV joints and lockers.

From autoblog:

"Next year, buyers will be able to upgrade to the Selec-Trac 4x4 unit that's an option on the Sahara and Sahara Altitude, and automatically switches between two- and four-wheel drive depending on traction needs. Above that, MI says the Rock-Trac 4x4 system exclusive to the Rubicon trim will gain the 2WD/4WD switchability from the Selec-Trac 4x4 system."

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Unfortunately, Eaton made an electronic locking TrueTrac and then took it off the market. That would have been GREAT! Must have had some problems that caused it to be withdrawn from the market. https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/154-0305-electric-traction-lock/

I have a TrueTrac in my 98 Explorer, it is a really good looking piece of equipment, and right at the technical limit of my capabilities to install. 80K miles later, my oldest son is still driving it. HUGE upgrade over the factory clutch LSD. I foolishly installed a Ford Motorosports heavy duty LSD in my '97 Ranger prior to getting on the TrueTrac bandwagon, the tow package LSD was toast after 25K. Still have a TrueTrack in my '93 YJ, replaced the Sahara LSD as it was toast. I hate clutch and cone LSD's both, yet the GovLock is even worse.

Riding the parking brake is very effective for locking the rear up, and the offroad 3:1 bias works well without causing a bunch of oversteer. I guess the track day TrueTracs run 4:1?

Doesn't help for the front if you have a manual, it would be tough to heel & toe to keep brakes on while navigating an obstacle that you really want a front locker for. Would the electronic stability control work for tricking a TrueTrac?

I haven't daily driven a vehicle without a limited slip since 1997, I've struggled a bit with the understeer in my JTR on the street. The electronic stability control killing power just feels weird and not nice. OTOH the rear locker in 2Hi is hilarious fun on dirt! Thank you Tazer!

No, the Tru-Trac is a torsen, not clutch plates.

That's why I'm asking the question. if it was clutch type, I would be less worried about it...

Basically, I'm on the fence whether to get a 6 speed manual and put lockers in, or get the max tow and live with the limited slip for a while (or forever if it works well enough).

The other downside with lockers is that its an open diff when disengaged, and I would personally prefer a limited slip on the street.
Unfortunately, nobody has come up with a limited slip/locker as of yet. That would be the ultimate.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
That's not LSD and lockers, that's fulltime 4WD like an H2. The Bronco is going to use an electric clutch in the transfer case, like my old Explorer has, to get the same capability.

Edit to add: I HATE the full-time 4WD in my BIL's 78 Golden Eagle CJ7, it's goofy. So glad we are MILES
past the mess QuadraTrac was!

Jeep JL is doing limited slip with Lockers in 2021... Limited slip all the way around with CV joints and lockers.

From autoblog:

"Next year, buyers will be able to upgrade to the Selec-Trac 4x4 unit that's an option on the Sahara and Sahara Altitude, and automatically switches between two- and four-wheel drive depending on traction needs. Above that, MI says the Rock-Trac 4x4 system exclusive to the Rubicon trim will gain the 2WD/4WD switchability from the Selec-Trac 4x4 system."

Cadpat7

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR Hard Rock 2016
Occupation
CDN ARMY
Not necessarily true. Rubicon 2003-2006 had OEM, low-pressure airlocker up front, and low-pressure airlocker doubled w/ a limited slip in the back. Was made by GKN driveline if I remember right.

I think manufacturers just want to keep things simple, and costs down...

Cadpat7

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR Hard Rock 2016
Occupation
CDN ARMY
Price. I also don't care for air actuated lockers.
I don't want to blow your bubble, but any e-locker will be as expensive as an ARB. Eaton used to offer the e-locker as part of their line, they were not cheap. OX locker were really good too, cable-actuated. I don't know if they still around.

Another advantage of the ARB is bringing an OBA system in your Jeep - given that you got the right air compressor. ARBs has been around for decades, because it's reliable, simple and it works.

It might worth checking the Mopar Performance Part catalog. If FCA is already offering Dana60 w/ OEM e-locker there, maybe they can also offer the OEM e-locker on his own for the D210/D220 (as a full installation kit or just as part listing). Then, it will be just a mater of adding the switches and have the canbus reprogrammed...
Sponsored