Sponsored

Who's going to buy a Sport S now, then a Rubicon in 2 years?

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
I've bought lesser model vehicles in the past to only regret it later. If you buy a vehicle and finance the whole thing and turn around two years later and trade it, you will be top heavy on the lone. Bad idea. Wait the two years, save your money, then buy the Rubi or whatever model you want.
Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I've bought lesser model vehicles in the past to only regret it later. If you buy a vehicle and finance the whole thing and turn around two years later and trade it, you will be top heavy on the lone. Bad idea. Wait the two years, save your money, then buy the Rubi or whatever model you want.
But I want one NOW! lol

You do make good points though, and that's probably what I'll end up doing

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
But I want one NOW! lol

You do make good points though, and that's probably what I'll end up doing
LOL!!!! Believe I can understand how you feel!!! How much more would the payment be for the Rubi vs. the Sport?

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
See the problem with that right there is the fact that if you have a $1000 monthly payment you are putting way to little down on it.

55k household income ? Holy, if that’s the household income and spending 50k on a car that’s crazy. But I guess if houses are under 100k then it makes it easier for you guys ?

Man over here if your household income is under 120k you’ll really struggle with a mortgage and kids and cars. You’d need to be in the 150k and over range, esp if you are buying a 50k car.

I can’t even imagine buying a car for that much when my household income is that low. Even if my personal income was that low paying for a car that cost that much would be insane.
Average US household income is now about $62,000 US. Salaries in cities must be above that average, while middle-Americans enjoy lower expenses and can make do on less. I know that my 3000sq ft house on 1.3 wooded acres would cost 5 times as much as I paid if it were in Certain parts of Chicago, instead of Indianapolis. Real estate is a fickle beast. Knowing where you can leverage cost of living to maximize the impact of your income is more important than simply maximizing your take home pay.
High cost of living is definitely going to apply to bigger cities here in the US as well...and that’s why people in California now have the option of 60 year mortgages.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
It’s kind of amusing reading a thread on the financial consequences of buying what we all can agree on is a depreciating asset.

The absolute best way to buy any vehicle is to pay cash and keep it until the wheels fall off of it. When I was younger buying a car every 2-4 years kept me in a very nice ride. As said by someone else having kids changes your priorities. Now I buy a vehicle with as much down as possible (Sometimes all cash) and keep it for 10 years or so.

Decisions like that have allowed us to purchase a second home at the beach and enjoy it anytime we want...in addition to putting both sons through college and paying off our home mortgage in less than 15 years....

Think long term my friends..

Sponsored

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
It's not a joke, you just don't like the reality of the options presented at that price level. For $16,500, there are plenty of cheap, reliable transportation options, and that's brand new. Extending to lightly used or CPO yields hundreds of choices. Like I said before, it's your money, spend it how you want, but nobody should be trying to justify that spending $40,000 on a lifestyle pickup truck when you only make $55,000 per year is a smart financial decision. They should at least be honest enough to say to themselves "I am making a very poor financial decision because I really want this product and I think the happiness I get from it will make up for my lack of financial options in the future."
I 100% agree with you. There is another variable to consider if you're making 55k per year and trying to justify spending 40 to 55k on a gladiator. If you have enough emergency funds saved up (at least 6-12 months including the new vehicle loan) in a high yield interest savings account to offset some of the vehicle loan interest and then after all that still contribute to your retirement account I can say the purchase is justifiable. Although the % of people that fits in this category is very very small...;)

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
LOL!!!! Believe I can understand how you feel!!! How much more would the payment be for the Rubi vs. the Sport?
If i didn't just buy a new vehicle last November, "meaningless".

I'll have to figure out the payment difference in case I find a briefcase with a check made out to FCA so my wife can't spend it on chocolate and wine, lol.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s kind of amusing reading a thread on the financial consequences of buying what we all can agree on is a depreciating asset.

The absolute best way to buy any vehicle is to pay cash and keep it until the wheels fall off of it. When I was younger buying a car every 2-4 years kept me in a very nice ride. As said by someone else having kids changes your priorities. Now I buy a vehicle with as much down as possible (Sometimes all cash) and keep it for 10 years or so.

Decisions like that have allowed us to purchase a second home at the beach and enjoy it anytime we want...in addition to putting both sons through college and paying off our home mortgage in less than 15 years....

Think long term my friends..
So you're saying I shouldn't cash in my Roth IRA pay taxes and penalties to get a Rubiglator? But that would be buying it for cash, wouldn't it? :piggybank:

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
So you're saying I shouldn't cash in my Roth IRA pay taxes and penalties to get a Rubiglator? But that would be buying it for cash, wouldn't it? :piggybank:

Ummm NO!

Sponsored

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
First of all, 2 years is a long time and while I applaud restraint and perseverance and making a plan but you can never predict what could happen in that amount of time. I have a Sport S with Max tow with pretty basic options. I got 1.79% financing through my local credit union for 84 months. My payment is $480. Some months I pay $600 or more some I only pay $480. Would a Rubicon be cool? Sure, but couldn't justify the extra expense. I could squeeze a $600-700 payment but having a little left over to do some mods is more worth it to me. I've spent about 2k on some mods. I will keep this truck for a long time. Have no intention of trading it in. What I can tell you after having it for 6 months is that I am sure as hell glad I didn't wait a couple years to buy a Rubicon. The fun I'm having now is definitely worth not getting a more expensive model.

Last edited:
OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What I can tell you after having it for 6 months is that I am sure as hell glad I didn't wait a couple years to buy a Rubicon. The fun I'm having now is definitely worth not getting a more expensive model.
i totally agree. i got the sport, been driving it for a year, love the shit out of it. thinking of maybe buying it after the lease is up, but still keeping my options open. new motors, transmissions, options, ect. cool stuff.

SUPER PISSED that Gator is gone. Sarge just isn't the same. tears :crying:

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
i totally agree. i got the sport, been driving it for a year, love the shit out of it.
Plus, I'm married with children. Priorities...if I had waited 2 years my kids would be missing out on the memories we've made just by owning a Jeep. I'm raising a new generation of Jeep enthusiasts!!!

Wicknalter

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Leased my first one. I’m hoping to see max tow offered on other trim levels before taking the dive on a purchase. I figure everything I’m putting on my current one I can just swap it over. Hoping for an in-line six in the future.
Sponsored