Sponsored

Why don’t more people drive naked?

Heavy D

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator
I would like some feedback or some help understanding why more people that own gladiators or wranglers don’t take the doors and top off when the weather is nice. I have a hard top Mojave and whenever the weather gets 73 or higher I take the doors and entire top off. The reason I bought a gladiator was for the truck bed, off road potential and the ability to take the doors and top off. The way I see it is if you’re not going to do that why get a jeep. There are other options out there with bigger engines and towing capacity. I get that some owners are soccer moms and young kids that just think it looks cool but I’ve driven by guys my age in their forties on a nice day with the windows up. I just don’t get it. Give me some different perspectives please. Thanks
I've got retractable steps I've got to wire a shut-off switch into in order to take my doors off.
Once I get that out of the way I probably won't put my doors or top back on until "winter" shows up again here in The Floridas.
Sponsored

Ty01vette

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Launch, 2016 JKU (Sold), 2013 JKU
Occupation
Prin Cost Engr & RN (Oncology)
I've been a Jeep owner for the past 11+ years and have never taken the top or doors off. The biggest problem I have is space in the garage (there is no space). I'm looking at possibly moving in the next 6 months and there will be space for doors and a top in the new place.

I gave my son the 13 JKU and he just asked me this past week if we could take the doors off, so we may try and squeeze them in someplace for him to remove the doors. The hardtop is a different issue all together.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
The closest I can get is the SunRider top in place of the Freedom Panels from mid-April to around mid-October. Plus, it's still not legal to drive in PA with no doors...even though I see lots of Jeepers doing it so I guess either the PoPo don't know that rule, or don't really care as long as the occupants are properly seat belted.

Plus, I don't have a garage I can park in when topless or store the top in (well, I have a two car garage but cannot get a car into it...mostly used for my wife's flower business so, no room...).

djthumper

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Sport S Eco Diesel, Jeep Renegade
Occupation
I.T.
Lately rain and pollen, I will have a little time before it gets too hot to not have the top on.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Cause it’d be shit, right? Wonder if the 2024 will have one with the airbags. And why does jeep get to not list one— shouldn’t there be one anyways so we can see as consumers?
The Gladiator has a full roll cage.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
The biggest reason I leave my hard top and doors on, security.

My town has a crime problem. Can't park in your own driveway without someone stealing something. When I park for work, generally it's an unsecured lot with minimal security.

Had a CJ7 that I went Nekkid in all the time, couldn't keep anything of value in it as it would be gone.

I'd love to go topless and doorless, but not a risk I'm willing to take.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Why don't I drive naked?
  • I live in the PNW - on average the weather here is conducive to driving naked a total of 60 days/year, and they are not always consecutive. Even when the weather gets sunny, it is not necessarily sufficiently warm to drive al fresco comfortably
  • Years ago when I lived in L.A., I removed the hardtop on my 2013 2-door Rubicon. I found it wasn't worth...
    1. ...the aggravation
    2. ...the risk of denting/cracking/damaging the fiberglass from sitting around in the garage
    3. ...the hassle of making sure the top didn't leak after I put it all back together
  • My other car is a convertible. It takes literally 11 seconds to drop the top and to put it back up.
My Fiat Spider is my go-to vehicle when I want to drive al fresco.
Jeep Gladiator Why don’t more people drive naked? _nc_ohc=yBzQOIRDN3QAX-lf2TM&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1

Beekeeper

First Name
Lon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Sales
I would like some feedback or some help understanding why more people that own gladiators or wranglers don’t take the doors and top off when the weather is nice. I have a hard top Mojave and whenever the weather gets 73 or higher I take the doors and entire top off. The reason I bought a gladiator was for the truck bed, off road potential and the ability to take the doors and top off. The way I see it is if you’re not going to do that why get a jeep. There are other options out there with bigger engines and towing capacity. I get that some owners are soccer moms and young kids that just think it looks cool but I’ve driven by guys my age in their forties on a nice day with the windows up. I just don’t get it. Give me some different perspectives please. Thanks
I just bought mine. A major reason was the ability to go naked. In the three weeks I’ve had it the freedom panels have been off. Once it gets warmer the doors and back roof will come off. So far I love this thing.

Mad Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Far Northwest Deep East Texas in the Dirty South
Website
www.best-motorcycle.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 1998 Wrangler Sahara
On my naked TJ I have a Spider Web Shade.
It is great on hot sunny days
that burn your face and bake your brain.
Also turns rain into a fine mist.
Lets you be naked more.
And you can leave it on with or without Freedom Panels. https://www.spiderwebshade.com/collections/gladiator

Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I rock a sunrider mar 1st to nov 30th roughly. BUT, i also rock two small kids in the back year round. As such, my most common state of undress when the weather is nice is front doors off, sunrider open. It's the most bang for my buck in enjoyment vs work required to strip.

If there's a 3-4 days of no rain predicted AND we have no trips planned, i'll take off the rear doors. (i'm only willing to transport the kids with no doors for very short distances on 25mph roads only)

If there's a 5+ days of no rain predicted AND we have no trips planned, i will take the rear of the top off (i reinstall the sunrider as a sunshade as needed)

Worth noting: i don't have a garage or driveway so I have to deal with street parking. IF i were childless with a garage, i'd probably buy some stupid little nissan leaf or chevy bolt for rainy days and park my gladiator in the garage completely naked 9 months out of the year.

Bluey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JT Mojave, '15 Ram 1500, '02 Isuzu Rodeo
We are in Coastal Texas. We have two littles(1 yr old and 4 yr old). It rains a lot here. I shuttle the kids daily on the highway. I've taken the top off for a day at time. But it seems the stars have to align for that to happen.

Dieseljeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecodiesel jeep
My wife is concerned with our kids getting sunburned or overheating. Granted one of them is only 9 months, but I think my oldest would love it. He’s 3 and absolutely loves it when I take the top off.

Hockeypilot44

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangler
I have a soft top and live in south Florida. I fold the top back all the time, but anything more than that is too much work. I can fold top back on in under 10 seconds if I want to lock vehicle or if it starts to rain. When it’s really nice, I take the back window off. Doors are too much of a hassle. Not just taking them off, but then storing them somewhere safe so they don’t get damaged.

Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM
I do as much as possible however weather in upstate NY doesn't always cooperate.
Sponsored