Sponsored

Why is Overland the only model to have 18's?

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Maybe we'd take this up to Alaska at some point - we were there in 2018 but it was a group tour thing - too restrictive. We want to go again, on our own, and see more nature, wilderness, wildlife.
DO IT! You won’t regret it. The drive from Whitehorse, YK to Skagway, AK is like driving on the moon in some places.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
DO IT! You won’t regret it. The drive from Whitehorse, YK to Skagway, AK is like driving on the moon in some places.
I hope we get to. We both loved the Alaska trip. The tour guide ended up being a sort of jerk, but the people otherwise were great, the scenery fantastic, the history, all WOW. We were on a ship for the last couple of days - back past BC, Vancouver, under a really long bridge, seeing the forests.... amazing. We watch all the show we can about Alaska and the west coast areas of Canada. Too many people on this continent don't even know there are rain forests in a way right outside our back door (further for us, LOL - we have to leave the corn fields first)

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I hope we get to. We both loved the Alaska trip. The tour guide ended up being a sort of jerk, but the people otherwise were great, the scenery fantastic, the history, all WOW. We were on a ship for the last couple of days - back past BC, Vancouver, under a really long bridge, seeing the forests.... amazing. We watch all the show we can about Alaska and the west coast areas of Canada. Too many people on this continent don't even know there are rain forests in a way right outside our back door (further for us, LOL - we have to leave the corn fields first)
I'm glad you got to see we don’t live in igloos way up here in Vancouver. I got chatting with a guy in Seattle while picking up my wife in the train station (she took VIA Rail across Canada to Ontario, the took the Amtrak back to the West Coast) and he seemed to think you hit snow as soon as you cross the border. “Dude, we’re only 2 hours north of you!” Mind you, he was also surprised there was no wall on the border and that the only thing that separates us in many places is a ditch that you could step over.

That bridge you cruised under into Vancouver was the Lions Gate Bridge; it has a really cool history that involves the Guinness family (yes, that Guinness) if you’re bored one day and feel like reading a bit of history.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm glad you got to see we don’t live in igloos way up here in Vancouver. I got chatting with a guy in Seattle while picking up my wife in the train station (she took VIA Rail across Canada to Ontario, the took the Amtrak back to the West Coast) and he seemed to think you hit snow as soon as you cross the border. “Dude, we’re only 2 hours north of you!” Mind you, he was also surprised there was no wall on the border and that the only thing that separates us in many places is a ditch that you could step over.

That bridge you cruised under into Vancouver was the Lions Gate Bridge; it has a really cool history that involves the Guinness family (yes, that Guinness) if you’re bored one day and feel like reading a bit of history.
Now that you mention it I believe the tour guy told us we'd be going under a bridge associated with that family. sure rings a bell. (it's after noon, maybe that was the dinner bell...... hmmmm)

Sometimes the border is only a sign "Welcome to Canada" with the Canadian flag - along with the flag of that province, etc.

HjStrater

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Operations
Vehicle Showcase
The problem is, all of that is subjective.

You don't want wider wheels necessarily. A 7.5" wheel is perfect for keeping rock rash off the wheels. You don't want deeper gearing either. 4.10 is perfect for larger tires thanks to the 8-speed trans which is a game changer. Keep in mind those 4.10s also come in an axle that's wider, stronger, and has 32 spline shafts. You'll never need to touch those axles unless running HUGE tires. Not so with the Overland. I've never heard of the e-lockers failing. They're actually pretty reliable and do not require wiring in an air compressor. And there is not $9k difference. $2k is the difference if you're comparing apples to apples.

On the flip side, there are myriad reasons why Overland is the worst trim in the lineup. 35% less payload than Sport is a BIG one. The lowest tow rating in the group is another biggie. Being forced into paint match fenders, whereas Sport and Rubicon give you the option. 18" wheels ride more harsh and tires are more expensive. We could go on all day...

If you MUST have a leather dash, I guess Overland is your option. But for 99% of guys out there I have never seen why Overland is even on the order sheet. It has none of the work specs of the Sport, none of the off-road specs of the Rubicon, and almost no features you can't get on other trims. It seems like the black sheep of the lineup. If 1,000 lbs. of payload works for you, why not just buy the Wrangler and save $$$?
There are a few things wrong with what your saying about the overland though. Towing is 4000 on all models other than the Rubi which is 4500 until you add in options like the automatic transmission and tow packages. My Overland tows 6000. Payload is next, the Rubi and the overland are only 150lbs apart in payload, and not at all if you have steel bumpers on the jtr. Only a stock sport gets you over 1500lbs in the bed.

https://www.redlandscjdr.com/blog/what-is-the-2020-jeep-gladiator-towing-capacity/

An overland with a tow package and a trac lok is a good balance of work specs and "off-road" specs after you add some decent tires... Which you have to do on the sport models too.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed that most of the pictures on the Jeep website of something being towed, appear to be of an Overland model.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed that most of the pictures on the Jeep website of something being towed, appear to be of an Overland model.
Oh, you mean like this - where "Overland" is part of the file name?
(all are Jeep stock marketing photos)
That's quite a load - the trailer alone is likely 1900 pounds, or at least close to it - and the load on the trailer? Anyone know without looking the curb weight of those?
Jeep Gladiator Why is Overland the only model to have 18's? MY21-Gladiator-Gallery-Capability-Trailer-Sway-Control-Overland-Desktop.jpg.image.1440

Or these, of the Overland version towing stuff?

Jeep Gladiator Why is Overland the only model to have 18's? 2020-Jeep-Gladiator-Gallery-Capability-Hauling-Boat_v3.jpg.image.1440

This one is in motion, can tell by the wheels..........
Jeep Gladiator Why is Overland the only model to have 18's? 2020-Jeep-Gladiator-Gallery-Capability-Trailer.jpg.image.1440

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Maybe we'd take this up to Alaska at some point - we were there in 2018 but it was a group tour thing - too restrictive. We want to go again, on our own, and see more nature, wilderness, wildlife.
My dream trip (or one of them!) is to drive up through Canada and return by ferry to Bellingham, WA.

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
I'll agree that the Overland is the least popular trim for a few reasons and the differences are much higher than 2k. The Overland has a base price of 2k less than a stripped Rubicon on the sticker, but who pays that? The issue comes when time for turnover on the lot. Everyone wants a Rubicon because that's like going to the cheesecake factory and not getting cheesecake...... In reality if you spec out a JTR with Leather and all the standard Overland bells and whistles, the difference in sticker is about 6-7k. Now take into account turnover on the lot- my sticker was 52k, the cheapest Rubi on the lot was 54k (without color matched anything and cloth seats). I actually ended up paying just a hair under 38k. If you are willing to pay sticker, why would you ever get an Overland.... pay the extra couple of grand and get the Rubi- so there is the rub, The Overlands will sit on the lot for longer, which means when incentives come along based on turn over, the Overlands get the huge incentives. So that 52k turned to 38k, while the 54k Rubi turned into 48k- a 10k difference, and for that you get.... Lockers, and a 4.11 and ugly plastic fenders, and a dull black hard top..... If I needed lockers I would get some ARB air lockers installed for 3500 and still be ahead by enough to Mod the crap out of my overland. The truth is I've been on quite a fe trails in my YJ and JKU and my Dads CJ without having Lockers, and its never really been an issue. I DD my jeep, and my but likes the heater leather seats.... At the time the cost difference between a Sport S, and the Overland I bought was 0, and nearly 9k to the nearest JTR. So no-brainer, the best deal in the JT world is usually the Overland.

Lives The Dream

First Name
Meericole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 cj5, 1995 YJ, 2006 LJ Rubicon, 2020 JT
My question is why Jeep used a different size spare on the overland, does the window sticker still say it has a full size spare? In real life do the spare 245/75 r17 and the 255/70r 18 measure the same? On paper the 18 is 32.06” and the 17 is 31.47”, you normally don’t want the 2 sides of the differential spinning at 2 different speeds, right?
Jeep Gladiator Why is Overland the only model to have 18's? 796E18EE-D353-4EAB-926B-9E939D971E2E

Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
My question is . . . you normally don’t want the 2 sides of the differential spinning at 2 different speeds, right?
True, especially the rear if you got LSD, you would be adding some small amount of additional wear . . .
But, after all the spare is only meant to be on the road a short time before you get the main tire fixed.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My question is why Jeep used a different size spare on the overland, does the window sticker still say it has a full size spare? In real life do the spare 245/75 r17 and the 255/70r 18 measure the same? On paper the 18 is 32.06” and the 17 is 31.47”, you normally don’t want the 2 sides of the differential spinning at 2 different speeds, right?
Jeep Gladiator Why is Overland the only model to have 18's? 796E18EE-D353-4EAB-926B-9E939D971E2E
Actually there's very little difference between the Overland stock tires and the Rubicon stock tires. The SPECS for the 18" overland tire is 32.2"
The spec for the 17" RUBICON A/T is - wait for it - NOT 33" but 32.8"
That's barely over 1/2" diameter difference! .6"
The diameter difference is what? Maybe 1.3" or so if that? A touch over an inche and a quarter. There's a lot of inches in a mile.
So frankly I'd not be too bothered by having to use a Rubicon tire as a spare - roads are never 100% perfectly straight so normaly driving will move the LSD anyway - it's a BIG difference when they lock and you have troubles. They slip easily when there's such a VERY TINY difference as 1 or 2".
IF you saw how they work inside - it takes more difference in torque between sides to apply more pressure to the mechanism. A typical LSD under no real torque difference can be broken free pretty easily.
If we are talking 1" or 2" difference side to side, I'd not be the slightest concerned, especially with a SPARE and a couple days driving. The rotational differences will be all but nil - you have more differences on interstate exists and country roads by a long shot.

I'll have to check the correct diameter of the spare, but I bet it's not much different in the end - use charts at Tirerack and similar sites, they have the manufacturer's specs.

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
True, especially the rear if you got LSD, you would be adding some small amount of additional wear . . .
But, after all the spare is only meant to be on the road a short time before you get the main tire fixed.
Random: I never noticed that the seatbelt sticker on the JT is a JLU.

Lives The Dream

First Name
Meericole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 cj5, 1995 YJ, 2006 LJ Rubicon, 2020 JT
But in reality you may have to travel hundreds of miles before a fix, obviously you should not be off reading these tires, they are passenger car tires, but in the western part of the country you can be on paved roads and far from a device station and people are lazy in general and may drive even farther before forking out the dough for repair or new tire. Jeep should at least provide a 17” spare that can closer approximate the overland’s, I would think. I guess that is why they don’t do 5 tire rotations anymore. But this is why they would recommend 4 new tires a time due to wire tire and e new tire of the same size will be different diameters. I suppose this is where the general public needs a warning sticker as most people wouldn’t know the difference.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
But in reality you may have to travel hundreds of miles before a fix, . . . in the western part of the country you can be on paved roads and far from a device station and people are lazy in general and may drive even farther before forking out the dough for repair or new tire. Jeep should at least provide a 17” spare that can closer approximate the Overland’s, I would think. . . I suppose this is where the general public needs a warning sticker as most people wouldn’t know the difference.
Good points. Not tuned to out West conditions.
Sponsored