Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious, since I want to purchase an Impact Wrench but want to avoid, as much as I can, having a variety of batteries and chargers. My understanding being, that the batteries are kind of proprietary. Are there brands where the batteries will work across different manufacturers?
No, there's not. It's purposely done by the manufacturers. That's why I went Craftsman instead of Milwaukee. I already have V20 batteries, chargers, and tools.
Sponsored

JAVIERGONZO

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Navy
We use Makita exclusively on F18s. And I use Makita at home. So I might be biased. But have heard that Milwaukee is just as good if not better.

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
We use Makita exclusively on F18s. And I use Makita at home. So I might be biased. But have heard that Milwaukee is just as good if not better.
I've always thought Makita was an upper level from Dewalt and Milwaukee, geared more to the pro than the homeowner side, around the same level as Festool. Which, if I was more serious about woodworking and had the space (and money) I'd have a full compliment of Festool everything.

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
You can never have enough tools (as long as the wife doesn't catch on)! I went cordless with just about everything. I started building out my Makita "collection" so I can use batteries interchangeably. Here are my cordless impacts and a a really handy 3/8" (also does 1/4") ratchet. The big one is so poweful, I ended up getting the one that is a little smaller. It is also more compact to get into tight places under the jeep. One of the really cool features is that you can set it to stop racheting as soon as the nut just begins to tighten/contacts the surface. That way you can zip them on and then hand-tighten with a torque wrench.

IMG_4175.jpg
I have that same 1/2drive mid torque 18v and I love it. Besides the 18v hepa vac itā€™s my favorite tool.

The mid torque is powerful for its size. For me it has all the power I really need as Iā€™m not typically working on rust buckets or 18wheelers. I got it maybe 2 years ago? Iv only had to break out the hose and Aircat gun twice for really rusted bolts. The weight and ergonomics are awesome you can hold it all day and overhead without the arm fatigue you get with the bigger ones.

Sponsored

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I've always thought Makita was an upper level from Dewalt and Milwaukee, geared more to the pro than the homeowner side, around the same level as Festool. Which, if I was more serious about woodworking and had the space (and money) I'd have a full compliment of Festool everything.
I think they are all pretty close in reliability. Some companies seem to be stronger in certain areas, like Makita used to have the edge in cordless wood working tools in terms of features and specialty items, Milwaukee had more automotive stuff. Dewalt was cheaper but everything was just a tad bit heavier and less refined in hand.

I went with Makita because they had the hepa vac,router and subcompact drills I liked most. I knew I would be using them in hand for 5-6 hours straight for a few quite a few days while I tore up then replaced my rotten boat deck.

but TBH unless you need a specialty tool that only one brand offers, or know you be spending hours using the best tool. I would go to your closest hardware store and see what tool brand has the most things in stock. My local store has about 10 Makita tools and 50 milwalkuee products. Every couple months both brands have great sales but every time I already own all the Makita products they havešŸ˜‚

Edit: the one tool feature I cannot stand and I would never want to own is the companies with batteries that have the tree sticking out of them like ryobi. I need to be able to put a spare battery in my pocket and climb a ladder or walk around for awhile.

Last edited:

Fpolanco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
After reading your first post, I did look at the Ridgid... I was surprised they had such a selection. Do you use the Ah batteries or the regular (original style) ?
Seems the Ah batteries run longer and are smaller/lighter...
After doing my most recent rabbit-hole dive for impact wrenches, turns out the same company owns both Ridgid and Milwaukee so you're getting pretty decent quality for a fraction of the cost.

My current batteries are a little older so I may just upgrade to their "Max Output" version. Home Depot has a battery bundle I've had my eye on:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...-and-MAX-Output-2-0-Ah-AC84002460SB/322315814

6ah is great for the wrench and the 2 and the 4 would go well with my impact driver and cordless ratchet.

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
After doing my most recent rabbit-hole dive for impact wrenches, turns out the same company owns both Ridgid and Milwaukee so you're getting pretty decent quality for a fraction of the cost.

My current batteries are a little older so I may just upgrade to their "Max Output" version. Home Depot has a battery bundle I've had my eye on:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...-and-MAX-Output-2-0-Ah-AC84002460SB/322315814

6ah is great for the wrench and the 2 and the 4 would go well with my impact driver and cordless ratchet.
keep checking till they run a promotion. A lot of times they sell a tool and 2-4 batteries for the cost of a tool or better. I have 10 batteries now and 3 chargers and a couple tools I havenā€™t used but cost me less than batteries themselves.

Fpolanco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
keep checking till they run a promotion. A lot of times they sell a tool and 2-4 batteries for the cost of a tool or better. I have 10 batteries now and 3 chargers and a couple tools I havenā€™t used but cost me less than batteries themselves.
As impatient as I am, that's actually why I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I went to buy a sweet deal only to realize it went back to full price.

With Father's Day right around the corner, the deals should be right around the corner!!

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
18v Milwaukee 1/2ā€ impact and their 12v 90* 3/8ā€ impactā€¦. Best battery powered tools I have for working on vehiclesā€¦ šŸŗ buy once cry onceā€¦

Sponsored

OP
OP
SargeDiesel

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
This is the mid-torque:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...with-Pin-Detent-Tool-Only-R86012PDB/318507293

Again, I wanted like the subcompact since it would be my on-board tool but I canā€™t find any other channels that could replicate the 500 ft-lbs of torque, which would be AMAZING from such a small tool.
The sub compacts both tge 3/8 and 1/2 are rated @ 250... whats wild, a lot of youtube channels are showing the 3/8" of all models out preforming their big 1/2" brothers...
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...Impact-Wrench-Tools-Only-R872102SBN/323704772

OP
OP
SargeDiesel

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military

It's on a special buy for $179... but I think this expires soon.

Fpolanco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The sub compacts both tge 3/8 and 1/2 are rated @ 250... whats wild, a lot of youtube channels are showing the 3/8" of all models out preforming their big 1/2" brothers...
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...Impact-Wrench-Tools-Only-R872102SBN/323704772
I saw that and itā€™s on my list.Not sure if you saw my previous postā€¦

Iā€™d love the subcompact as it would be my on-board tool but I only found one video that shows these blowing itā€™s numbers out of the water (500 ft-lbs). All of the other videos are right in line.

Now Iā€™m kinda waiting to see what deals HD does for Fatherā€™s Day.

OP
OP
SargeDiesel

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military

Iā€™d love the subcompact as it would be my on-board tool but I only found one video that shows these blowing itā€™s numbers out of the water (500 ft-lbs). All of the other videos are right in line.

I just picked up both subcompacts (3/8 & 1/2) for $160.

OP
OP
SargeDiesel

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military

Yeah, I saw your post. I wasn't sure if you were talking about the subcompact or the mid-torque @ 500 ft-lbs ? Do you have a link ?
Sponsored