Sponsored

How "Big" of an Impact Wrench Do You Need?

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Rule of thumb with impact wrenches. Don't use chrome sockets. Use impact sockets. Chrome sockets from some companies like to explode. Had a co-worker that used a chrome MAC socket explode on him. Had to go to the hospital to get the pieces taken out of his hand. He was removing lug nuts at the time.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Rule of thumb with impact wrenches. Don't use chrome sockets. Use impact sockets. Chrome sockets from some companies like to explode. Had a co-worker that used a chrome MAC socket explode on him. Had to go to the hospital to get the pieces taken out of his hand. He was removing lug nuts at the time.
When I turned wrenches, that was one of the few things our Snap On Tool driver would tell people to pound sand for warranty is if they brought a broken chrome socket to him with impact use marks.

mpsoldier

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
LE
Interesting.

You know...I started my adult working career in the Nuclear Power sector as a mechanic and the value/importance of torque wrenches was beat into my head at an early age. I have avoided impact drivers for 40 years as there is a risk of over-torquing applications.

For years, I have been carrying/using a Dewalt DCD740C1 Drill/Driver:
Jeep Gladiator How "Big" of an Impact Wrench Do You Need? i-3ZmV7D7-X3

It only has about 24Ft-lbs of torque because it is really a drill but it has enough torque to spin on/off a broke free lug nut which saves my arms from the workout of doing the same with a ratchet/socket.

I guess it really depends on what you are doing with your driver. It's my opinion that technicians at Jeep dealerships MUST have the most powerful drivers available because they LOVE destroying Jeep lug nuts!! LOL
I just bought one of these about 2 weeks ago for the same reason LOL

Screenshot_20240209_063504_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Sponsored

ColoradoCantu

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Network Engineer
MAXIMUM UGGA DUGGAS!!!

I have two impact wrenches, a Dewalt 3/8" DCF883 and a 1/2" Dewalt DCF894. Both have hog ring anvils. Bought the 3/8" on sale one year on a Black Friday because I figured it would be a good in the pick-and-pull and general use impact. It is compact but thats what I was after.

However, I found out the hard way that it didn't have enough ugga duggas to pull seized lugs off in the junkyard so I bought the 1/2". No issues there but it is bigger and heavier.

End of the day I made a mistake buying a 3/8" and should have bought the 1/2" at the onset.
I just bought my Mojave last Oct so very new to this world and was concerned about removing lug nuts, im not the strongest and i have back issues. So I decided on the big and heavy 1/2" Dewalt DCF900. Its probably overkill but I have zero concerns about not being able to remove a lug nut which is what I was looking for. I also carry a breaker bar, a small Dewalt Impact driver and 3/8" ratchet with 70Ft-lbs of torque for everything else.

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
I just bought my Mojave last Oct so very new to this world and was concerned about removing lug nuts, im not the strongest and i have back issues. So I decided on the big and heavy 1/2" Dewalt DCF900. Its probably overkill but I have zero concerns about not being able to remove a lug nut which is what I was looking for. I also carry a breaker bar, a small Dewalt Impact driver and 3/8" ratchet with 70Ft-lbs of torque for everything else.
In my case the 3/8" was plenty strong to pop the lugs on both my BMW and Tacoma but those tires get rotated regularly so less chance of rust locking the lugs. Junkyard runs were a different story though. I also have either a dead blow or rubber mallet in the truck for when the wheels get seized to the hubs, AKA every March.

Billkowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 80th 2D 3.6 Etorque, 2023 JT Mojave
Last year I bought a Milwaukee 2864-20 Fuel One-Key 3/4". It is overkill for most things on my Gladiator but it is adjustable so it doesn't have to be run full tilt unless you need to. It was a huge help when I installed my lift. I just don't have the strength I did 30 years ago and loosening control arms bolts with it from awkward positions was super easy. Putting things back together I still use a much weaker 18v Dewalt and a torque wrench. The Milwaukee has really impressed me. I was able to break loose the 1 5/8" blade nuts on a 8' brush hog that hadn't been changed in at least 20 years. Also had no trouble removing lug nuts on our dump truck and that usually takes two of us jumping on a 4' cheater pipe
I got this one, Milwaukee 2564-20 M12 FUEL™ 3/8" Right Angle Impact Wrench, been pretty pleased, long battery life. It broke loose the LCA bolts easily.

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
In my opinion there's no point in buying one that won't break free lug nuts and lower control arm bolts unless it's a second one after you already own one that will do those things. They are clutch for breaking loose stock bolts and it's not hard to just snug up a bolt or lug nut and then set proper torque with a torque wrench. Yes the 899 will twist a small bolt in half with ease, but I'm not worried about over untorquing a bolt. If it's stuck bad enough it comes out in 2 pieces then so be it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lunentucker

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
In my opinion there's no point in buying one that won't break free lug nuts and lower control arm bolts unless it's a second one after you already own one that will do those things. They are clutch for breaking loose stock bolts and it's not hard to just snug up a bolt or lug nut and then set proper torque with a torque wrench. Yes the 899 will twist a small bolt in half with ease, but I'm not worried about over untorquing a bolt. If it's stuck bad enough it comes out in 2 pieces then so be it.
My upgrade benchmark has been the blades on my mower.
Air... Stronger Air... DeWalt

Is it abused? Yes.
Is it cared for? Also yes.
8 years / 780 hours

Jeep Gladiator How "Big" of an Impact Wrench Do You Need? PXL_20240211_195740861

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,