Sponsored

WOW - What an IMPACT !

Fpolanco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Do you have a pic of the ridgid ... I was going to check and see it they had impacts... I own a Ridgid hammer drill and a "home project" style inpact that takes bits.
So I already have 2/2mah and 2/5mah batteries.
This is the mid-torque:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...with-Pin-Detent-Tool-Only-R86012PDB/318507293

Again, I wanted like the subcompact since it would be my on-board tool but I canā€™t find any other channels that could replicate the 500 ft-lbs of torque, which would be AMAZING from such a small tool.
Sponsored

JeepTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bright White Willys.
Ryobi, milwaukee, makita, dewalt harbor freight brands are all good IMO. Just depends how much you want to spend.

I chose to go with milwaukee for all my power tools. From a 1/4 cordless ratchet to a m18 weed wacker and m18 fuel blower.

Im also able to find local vendors that get really good prices on pallets of new dewalt and milwaukee tools. The savings get passed down to me. For example, a new in package 5 ah XC m18 milwaukee battery for $55 and l m18 fuel blower for $110. The prices are much cheaper when compared to homedepot prices even when they have sales. All comes with a risk of course.

What i'd suggest is purchase a brand and stick with it since many of the tools can use the same batteries.

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 JLU
I went with a Ryobi impact gun. Mostly because I have a bunch of Ryobi cordless tools and plenty of batteries. Just installed a leveling kit and the impact gun saves a boatload of time. I think you'd be fine going with any of the major brands.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Does nobody use Craftsman anymore? I have professional air tools at a friends house in my tool box but purchased these the other day.

https://www.craftsman.com/product/c...ordless-38-impact-wrench-tool-only?tid=568801
https://www.craftsman.com/product/cmcf930d1/v20-38-cordless-drive-ratchet-kit?tid=568801

Have not really used the impact yet but I figured it would be good enough for lug nuts at 165 lb-ft, and it's smaller/lighter

However they also have a 1/2" rated at 1,000 breakaway
https://www.craftsman.com/product/c...orque-impact-wrench-hog-ring-anvil?tid=568801
After reading this thread, I bought one. It's time to swap out my tires. I already have a bunch of Craftsman V20 tools and batteries, so I checked Lowes. They have it on sale, but none of the stores have it in stock. I was able to get it from Amazon for the same price, with same day delivery, and use my $19 in rewards points.

CRAFTSMAN V20* Impact Wrench Kit, Hog Ring, Cordless, 1/2-Inch (CMCF900M1) https://a.co/d/0EuyHZe

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Most of my stuff is Dewalt due to battery interchangeability (several impacts, grinder, blower, vacuum, fan, chainsaw, drill, ratchet and assorted lights all use the same batteries), but what I need more and don't have a breaker bar handy...I have an Ingersol Rand that's never failed. The IR isn't cheap nor or the crazy priced batteries. I have Amazon knockoffs and they work well.

Sponsored

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Most of my stuff is Dewalt due to battery interchangeability (several impacts, grinder, blower, vacuum, fan, chainsaw, drill, ratchet and assorted lights all use the same batteries), but what I need more and don't have a breaker bar handy...I have an Ingersol Rand that's never failed. The IR isn't cheap nor or the crazy priced batteries. I have Amazon knockoffs and they work well.
years ago when doing some low voltage stuff i got a bunch of 18v dewalt tools. Not long after that they discontinued the line. I was rather disappointed. The tools now still work but the batteries dont last long. Their adapter is bulkey too so eventually i will just swap everything to 20v. The nail guns i have are 20v and work well but hopefully they dont discontinue that line also

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
years ago when doing some low voltage stuff i got a bunch of 18v dewalt tools. Not long after that they discontinued the line. I was rather disappointed. The tools now still work but the batteries dont last long. Their adapter is bulkey too so eventually i will just swap everything to 20v. The nail guns i have are 20v and work well but hopefully they dont discontinue that line also
Mine are all 20v. A buddy of mine has both 12v and 20v. While the 20v max tools are remarkably small, the 12v tools are smaller and he uses them all day on his hand held tools as they reduce fatigue.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I found my mega-milwaukee does the job for me. I need bolt busting power in the old cars - rust, ya know.
I've swapped springs too many times.
2020 - swap front and rear springs, swap LCAs, then time to trade it in, swap back.
2022 - swap front springs and LCAs, nope, not good enough, swap in taller front springs.
That's a lot of loosening and tightening.
The Milwaukee took everything loose SOO easily, and actually tightened things back close to spec where needed (other than the torque plus angle parts.
Crazy valuable.
And when stripping the old cars down - the bolt has two choices - come loose or break. The impact will do either in most cases.

There are OTHER great tools out there, it's certainly not the only, but I have zero regrets. A friend who restores cars for others put me onto this impact after he gave me a demo while I was visiting him a couple of years back. He can take rusty suspension apart on a 40+ year old car in short order.

OP
OP
SargeDiesel

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
This is the mid-torque:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...with-Pin-Detent-Tool-Only-R86012PDB/318507293

Again, I wanted like the subcompact since it would be my on-board tool but I canā€™t find any other channels that could replicate the 500 ft-lbs of torque, which would be AMAZING from such a small tool.
After reading your first post, I did look at the Ridgid... I was surprised they had such a selection. Do you use the Ah batteries or the regular (original style) ?
Seems the Ah batteries run longer and are smaller/lighter...

OP
OP
SargeDiesel

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
After reading this thread, I bought one. It's time to swap out my tires. I already have a bunch of Craftsman V20 tools and batteries, so I checked Lowes. They have it on sale, but none of the stores have it in stock. I was able to get it from Amazon for the same price, with same day delivery, and use my $19 in rewards points.

CRAFTSMAN V20* Impact Wrench Kit, Hog Ring, Cordless, 1/2-Inch (CMCF900M1) https://a.co/d/0EuyHZe
Glad this thread helped you out... lots of good info here. You will have to report back and let us know how it performed for you.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SargeDiesel

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
I have two , both are craftsman, a 3/8 and 1/2... I've had both forever. Mostly use the 1/2. I have a pipe that is the same length slid over the top of it... I pinched the end so it doesn't pull off ... adds a ton of leverage.

Mflowers11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Hi Alt, 2017 Wrangler, Rcky Mtn
Occupation
Finance
So I need some help/advice/recommendations.
I use the Earthquake XT and the 90 degree Hercules from Harbor Freight. Donā€™t know how I lived without themā€¦. For ā€˜home garageā€™ wrenching its worth it. If I was a mechanic, Iā€™d blow the extra for a big name but for my once or twice a month need, highly recommended!

IMG_1440.jpeg

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
no pic avail at the moment, but I've been using a Milwaukee 1/2" HD impact and love it. The only downside is it's size, but damn is she powerful. I use it for all tire rotations on the regular and it was a god send when I installed the lift. I'm a Milwaukee fan boy so that's why I chose it, but am so because of the faith and experience I've had with their tools over the years and never have issues. Good luck.
Same here.

My M18 1/2" is rated up to 1400ftlbs if memory serves me right.......it's a beast and I can swap batteries with my other M18 tools

Yossarian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Retired
Just curious, since I want to purchase an Impact Wrench but want to avoid, as much as I can, having a variety of batteries and chargers. My understanding being, that the batteries are kind of proprietary. Are there brands where the batteries will work across different manufacturers?
Sponsored