Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
So update on the Ecodiesel.....uggggg
Just got off the phone with the dealer. According to them the injector pump failed catastrophically. They are going to be pulling the fuel tank today to make sure I didn't get a bad batch of diesel.
If I did. Need to contact insurance and place where I bought the diesel. See where that goes.
If diesel is clean. Which initial test said it was. Then the wait begins.
Parts list.
Injector pump
Fuel lines
Guessing injectors
Possible motor yet to be determined because it's not running.
Basically everything involved in the fuel system.
Current cost of parts 8,100$
Wait time as being there is not one single injector pump in the entire nation 45+ days.
Hell I could go to Italy build the pump myself and fly home by the time they had the part in hand.
Center of the circle is nothing but metal shavings.
Jeep Gladiator WTF this just happened! IMG_20210722_122459
:swear: :swear: :swear::angry::angry::time::time::time:
Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Just got off the phone with the dealer. According to them the injector pump failed catastrophically.
CP4 pump failures in the Ram and Wrangler EcoDiesels are rare, but they can happen. Hopefully it was just a defect pump. In the future, run a fuel additive or biodiesel for lubricity. CP4 pumps will live a long happy life with lubrication.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
They do, but it's just powertrain.
Engine is part of the powertrain - thus the old moniker "PCM" - power train control module which controlled the engine and transmission.

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
CP4 pump failures in the Ram and Wrangler EcoDiesels are rare, but they can happen. Hopefully it was just a defect pump. In the future, run a fuel additive or biodiesel for lubricity. CP4 pumps will live a long happy life with lubrication.
I would think that jeep would have this figured out and you wouldn't have to put any additives in an oil burner

Sponsored

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
I would think that jeep would have this figured out and you wouldn't have to put any additives in an oil burner
It’s not for fca to figure out. It’s our epa…
Not much a manufacturer can do to make a pump that can put out 29000 psi without proper lube. Our fuel is dry. Only way to lube the pump is to add an additive. It’s the whole diesel world in the US… I run an additive in every tank. I use hotshots edt. Primary reason for the hot shot over any other is the ez measure bottle lol

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
It’s not for fca to figure out. It’s our epa…
Not much a manufacturer can do to make a pump that can put out 29000 psi without proper lube. Our fuel is dry. Only way to lube the pump is to add an additive. It’s the whole diesel world in the US… I run an additive in every tank. I use hotshots edt. Primary reason for the hot shot over any other is the ez measure bottle lol
I'm more along the lines of thinking it is the manufacturers or FCA to figure out as it is their product

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
It's a fuel problem. Look for biodiesel blends as much as possible and/or run a fuel additive. I fill up at Love's truck stops as I travel from coast to coast. They list biodiesel blends on their website. B2 is all that you need.

Here are my fuel stops in the last 7 days.

Love's - Gallup, NM (B5)
Love's - Texhome, OK (B5)
Love's - Ottawa, KS (B15)
Love's - Macon, Missouri (B19)

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I run an additive in every tank. I use hotshots edt.
I run biodiesel in every tank, but I also run EDT in every tank just to keep the system clean. The small bump in cetane is nice, too. I also use Diesel Extreme every six months. It might be overkill, but I've never had a problem with my fuel system or injectors. Peace of mind goes a long way.

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
I run biodiesel in every tank, but I also run EDT in every tank just to keep the system clean. The small bump in cetane is nice, too. I also use Diesel Extreme every six months. It might be overkill, but I've never had a problem with my fuel system or injectors. Peace of mind goes a long way.
In your Gladiator?

Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I'm more along the lines of thinking it is the manufacturers or FCA to figure out as it is their product
Unfortunately, that's not how it works. Outside of warranty, you're on the hook for a very expensive repair if you lose your CP4 pump. The repair can cost as much as a new engine.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
In your Gladiator?
In my 2020 Ram EcoDiesel, which is the same engine as your Gladiator. I also use it in my 2015 Ram EcoDiesel.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
It's a result of the sulfur being removed from the fuel to clean up emissions. It provided the lubrication for the fuel system. With my 2006 Duramax diesel, I added outboard engine (TCW3) oil to the fuel to lubricate the system. It was still running great when I traded it in for the Gladiator.

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Do any of these void warranties? What is EDT? Link? Cetane? Diesel extreme?

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel