Yes, another start/stop question.

Puch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Electronics technician
Recently unmarried the Tazer on my 2020 JT. When it was installed I had the Start/stop disabled.
After I removed the tazer I installed the super chips/flashcal. No reason other than it was easier to use and had all that I needed for features.
I did not set the “disable start/stop feature” with the flashcal. However, I was driving around yesterday and realized it wasn’t working. I scrolled to the start/stop menu and it said “not ready, charging”.
I’m guessing based on other discussions that the 2nd batt is dying or defective.
Has anyone removed the 2nd batt and also disconnected the hood switch and current sensor on the main batt?
My thought is that this will totally eliminate any chance of the 2nd battery damaging the main batt as well as permanently eliminate the start/stop feature. The only down side would be the warning message on startup and the Avengers symbol above the gas gage. I can live with that.
Does anyone see any issues or long term damage that I might be missing?
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The ESS system cannot be disabled or removed, it is always on and active. All that can be done is to prevent it from activating, using either the button on the dash or one of the devices that tells the computer the button is set to off. Moving the hood plunger will prevent activation, but it also creates an error condition.

Removing the second battery requires some rewiring, as the computer checks for and expects it to be there. The primary purpose of the second battery is to keep the computers stable during ESS events.

The Intelligent Battery Sensor is a component of the Smart Charging System. The alternator is not a constant output type like in older vehicles. The computer uses the sensor in making decisions to adjust alternator output.

A replacement ESS battery is around $110, if out of warranty. A Genesis Dual Battery kit is another option. It connects the ESS system to the second battery and eliminates the ESS battery.

There was a quality issue with the ESS batteries, and a lot have been replaced under warranty. My ESS battery is about three years old, and still in good shape. The ESS system still activates, when I forget to turn it off. I have yet to see the ESS charging message.

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 23 JL Sahara 4xe
If you disconnect the hood switch you also disable remote start if you have that on your truck.

OP
OP
Puch

Puch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Electronics technician
The ESS system cannot be disabled or removed, it is always on and active. All that can be done is to prevent it from activating, using either the button on the dash or one of the devices that tells the computer the button is set to off. Moving the hood plunger will prevent activation, but it also creates an error condition.

Removing the second battery requires some rewiring, as the computer checks for and expects it to be there. The primary purpose of the second battery is to keep the computers stable during ESS events.

The Intelligent Battery Sensor is a component of the Smart Charging System. The alternator is not a constant output type like in older vehicles. The computer uses the sensor in making decisions to adjust alternator output.

A replacement ESS battery is around $110, if out of warranty. A Genesis Dual Battery kit is another option. It connects the ESS system to the second battery and eliminates the ESS battery.

There was a quality issue with the ESS batteries, and a lot have been replaced under warranty. My ESS battery is about three years old, and still in good shape. The ESS system still activates, when I forget to turn it off. I have yet to see the ESS charging message.
Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking if I disconnected the current sensor and the hood switch, the computer wouldn’t look for the battery. Guess not. Stupid computer!
Not a big deal. I might switch to a dual battery kit??

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Recently unmarried the Tazer on my 2020 JT. When it was installed I had the Start/stop disabled.
After I removed the tazer I installed the super chips/flashcal. No reason other than it was easier to use and had all that I needed for features.
I did not set the “disable start/stop feature” with the flashcal. However, I was driving around yesterday and realized it wasn’t working. I scrolled to the start/stop menu and it said “not ready, charging”.
I’m guessing based on other discussions that the 2nd batt is dying or defective.
Has anyone removed the 2nd batt and also disconnected the hood switch and current sensor on the main batt?
My thought is that this will totally eliminate any chance of the 2nd battery damaging the main batt as well as permanently eliminate the start/stop feature. The only down side would be the warning message on startup and the Avengers symbol above the gas gage. I can live with that.
Does anyone see any issues or long term damage that I might be missing?
The "not ready charging" message is based on the battery sensor's reporting of the main battery, the system has no way of knowing the status of the aux battery except for a brief pass/fail test of the aux battery every cold start. If the aux battery fails this test, the error light comes on and auto stop/start is disabled.

Some JL owners have had the aux battery disconnected for years with no adverse affect, the trick is to get past the pass/fail test if you don't want the error light on. This can be done by just unplugging the battery relay so it can't separate the batteries, but the more common method is to install a fused (for safety) bypass jumper that accomplished the same thing. Auto stop/start needs disabled if you're using the jumper.

There's lots of information over on the Wrangler forums about this.

Sponsored

Jugotit

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
ESS not working.. I took my 2020 JT Overland to the dealer to have it check yesterday, they kept the vehicle an a $200.00 to do a diagnostic. Waiting for a call from the dealer, to see what's the answer!
Sponsored