Sponsored

Your truck is Ugly!?

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
Function before form.
I have to face it - my wife didn't marry me for my looks. (or my money, for that matter - I'm still trying to figure it out)
MAYBE she liked my Comanche I had at the time?
That's funny!!! I met my wife in college, when I had zero money and a '86 Jeep Comanche!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ghostarmy

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 TJR, 2017 JK, 2020 JT
Occupation
Automotive
I just reply that somewhere there is a village missing their idiot!

JayHop

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Creative Director
Ever heard that? My 16 yo son's friend said, "that's the ugliest truck ever - why would your Dad want one of those", when my son mentioned I was thinking about buying a Gladiator. Funny thing is the friend's Mom just bought a new Porsche and I've never really been a big fan of Porsche looks especially the Boxster's and SUV's (too Jelly Bean for me). Not saying the Gladiator is gonna win any design or style awards with that box hanging off the back but you can still go rock crawling, pull the doors and top off plus the extra utility of a pickup bed combined with higher tow capacity. To each his own, I guess.:)
I do think they look way better when you lift them, put on at least 35s, and add a few more things like sidesteps, after-market front bumpers, etc. I suspect the designers knew that going in.

Sponsored

Cowboy JK

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 2dr JK Sahara
I love things that look more function than form. So the Gladiator fits that bill. I think it looks awesome. But I get that others don't like it. Personally, I don't like all the other new mid-sized trucks. They are all too soft looking.

I fully agree with the OP, a lot of Porsches are jelly bean looking.

I do love the look of the new Bronco. I think a bronco truck would look pretty nice too.

The Gladiator just looks all business.
All kinds of ugly here. White Mojave and a green jelly bean.

image4.jpeg

IMG_0579 (2).PNG

Brickicon

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Gladiator LE
Occupation
Technician
Who buys a Jeep for the design? I always tell people who call it ugly, "Good thing I spent my money and not yours then, huh?"

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator

gmendoza

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, my friend, I love both! Love that Vanagon! It is is the second kind of cool... you get the double take... the chuckle... then the, “okay that’s effing cool” for those that know what you’re purpose of use is.

Few things uglier than my Vanagon but I fell in love with her. They can be made to look better, just like the Gladiator. Eh, to each his or her own. For me, form follows function, but I like the look of both!

Sponsored

slothead

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Overland
Occupation
NASA Consultant - EE
Vehicle Showcase
Ever heard that? My 16 yo son's friend said, "that's the ugliest truck ever - why would your Dad want one of those", when my son mentioned I was thinking about buying a Gladiator. Funny thing is the friend's Mom just bought a new Porsche and I've never really been a big fan of Porsche looks especially the Boxster's and SUV's (too Jelly Bean for me). Not saying the Gladiator is gonna win any design or style awards with that box hanging off the back but you can still go rock crawling, pull the doors and top off plus the extra utility of a pickup bed combined with higher tow capacity. To each his own, I guess.:)
Only from my wife, everyone else who sees it loves it!

Geo Jeep

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator Sport S (Max Tow)
Occupation
Geologist
Well, my friend, I love both! Love that Vanagon! It is is the second kind of cool... you get the double take... the chuckle... then the, “okay that’s effing cool” for those that know what you’re purpose of use is.
Thanks, yeah me too! I've gotten more compliments and offers to buy her than I can count. So many people want to check her out and I've heard many stories from people who have had a VW bus. Sadly it's time for Molly to go. I have found a great VW family to buy her though. 13 years of great trips, Home Depot runs, and it's a great field vehicle for a geologist like me. They don't make anything like it, but the Jeep will be fun. And it checks off many of the boxes. There's pros and cons to both. It was just time for a change.

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When I first saw the Gladiator, I thought WTF? Then I saw one with bigger wheels and tires. Then they grew on me...fast.

And its funny that the Porsche 911 is being brought up as a negative design; the 911 has been heralded as one of the most iconic and celebrated designs in automotive history. I agree with that celebration. Again, I guess, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Boomer#1

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've only received compliments on my Gladiator, not a single bad comment. I'm with you on the Porsche. Enjoy your's

IMG_2794.JPG

DRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2016 Vette, 2019 Land Cruiser
Occupation
Retired
Well I have owned a 911 and a Boxster and the only thing I ever found is that you can go fast. With my Gladiator I have pulled my trailer through New Mexico, Colorado and Texas, plus had the room to take all my camping and fishing gear with me. I wouldn't trade my Gladiator for a Porsche with the fun I'm having.
Sponsored