Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
When the 3.0L EcoDiesel Gladiator arrives in 2020, it will boast the most torque of any Jeep — at 442 lb-ft of torque. But, the diesel Gladiator won’t reach the full 7650 lbs tow capacity of the 3.6L Pentastar Gladiator. It’s expected to tow approximately 500 pounds less.

And a big reason reason for that is with more power comes more need for cooling. The larger air cooler unit on the EcoDiesel engine cuts down some of the front airflow coming through the grille, which results in reduced cooling area, which results in less tow capacity.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JEEPN X 4

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep JK Unlimited Sport, 2014 Manley ORV Original Trailer
Interesting. For me this is yet another reason to stick with the tried and true Pentastar as opposed to the diesel. When towing with my JK in the summer the cooling system definitely gets a big time workout. If the diesel is worse in this regard, I am not interested anymore.

Also have to wonder if the Pentastar for Gladiator will ever get the BSG version of that engine if they want to maintain this best in class tow rating. As we have seen in the 2.0L in the JL it has even more cooling needs because of the battery.

JEEPN X 4

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Because the Rubicon is heavier by quite a bit (due to the 4:1 tcase, front swaybar disconnect actuator, etc.), and the larger and heavier tire size on Rubicons. I think Rubicons are heavier by about 350-400 lbs across the board.

Sponsored

Eugene the Jeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Because the Rubicon is heavier by quite a bit (due to the 4:1 tcase, front swaybar disconnect actuator, etc.), and the larger and heavier tire size on Rubicons. I think Rubicons are heavier by about 350-400 lbs across the board.
This. And beefier / wider axles.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It also has to do with weight. Actually, weight is the biggest contributor, which is why the Sport will tow more than the Overland or Rubicon, despite the Rubicon having deeper axle gearing.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Makes sense. It has to tow itself, and the trailer. So if its heavier to begin with, can't tow as much.

Works for me. 7000lbs is still plenty

CaliJK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Is that also part of the reason why a manual transmission tows so much less than auto? I'm buying this truck for sure, but was happy to be going back to driving stick before I saw the tow difference. I wanted at least 5000 lbs for horses and hay.

Also, I know sales/delivery is Q2 2019, any indication when we can actually start ordering?

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
When the 3.0L EcoDiesel Gladiator arrives in 2020, it will boast the most torque of any Jeep — at 442 lb-ft of torque. But, the diesel Gladiator won’t reach the full 7650 lbs tow capacity of the 3.6L Pentastar Gladiator. It’s expected to tow approximately 500 pounds less.

And a big reason reason for that is with more power comes more need for cooling. The larger air cooler unit on the EcoDiesel engine cuts down some of the front airflow coming through the grille, which results in reduced cooling area, which results in less tow capacity.
So will the diesel be available on all trims? As I thought the Rubicon only towed around 7K

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Is that also part of the reason why a manual transmission tows so much less than auto? I'm buying this truck for sure, but was happy to be going back to driving stick before I saw the tow difference. I wanted at least 5000 lbs for horses and hay.

Also, I know sales/delivery is Q2 2019, any indication when we can actually start ordering?
In the case of the manual trans, hardware capacity also comes into play. Today's automatics are much more robust than manuals. In order to do a manual with a 7,650 tow capacity they'd have to select a different clutch and that would increase pedal effort in order to keep costs in check, and they'd also need to greatly beef up the transmission itself. I consider us to be lucky we even got a manual transmission at all for the new model.

JEEPN X 4

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
It might also have to do with the forward gear ratios of the manual trans they had available, and what RPMs that runs the engine at on the highway under a trailering load. May be a cooling thing. Just guessing tho.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
In the case of the manual trans, hardware capacity also comes into play. Today's automatics are much more robust than manuals.
What he said ^
Back in the day I ordered a '01 7.3L Super Duty 6-speed. You got hard gears vs clutch packs.
It's tow capacity was lower than the automatic, even back then -