Who is waiting for the diesel?

Are you going to wait for the diesel?

• Total voters

Jeep383-S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A 392, 1968 Plymouth Barracuda 383-S
How many people are going to wait for the diesel to be released?
Sponsored

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
I'm going to go with the 3.6 Pentastar, if the diesel was available at launch then I would have gone with it. I don't really need a diesel right now and when I do I will be going with a Ram 2500. If they had offered it with the 5.7l Hemi I would have waited for that!

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
Since the color I want is "late availability" anyways, I might as well wait another 5 months (or a year) for the diesel to come out. Also... it gives the aftermarket people time to make some kool shit I can put on this beast.

Fishdoc

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler X
My service mgr is looking into a Hemi install for me. If he can’t I will get a diesel later and sell the v6. That shouldn’t be hard to do

Sponsored

Gecko-JKU

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Gecko Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Gone but not forgotten), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Toyota 4 Runner
I really want to wait for the diesel, but as they have yet to release it for the Wrangler I'm worried I'm chasing a unicorn. Maybe if we had some spy pics of them testing the diesel I'd feel more confident about it actually coming.

OP
OP
Jeep383-S

Jeep383-S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A 392, 1968 Plymouth Barracuda 383-S
I really want to wait for the diesel, but as they have yet to release it for the Wrangler I'm worried I'm chasing a unicorn. Maybe if we had some spy pics of them testing the diesel I'd feel more confident about it actually coming.
Jeep had a diesel Wrangler JL testing on Hell’s Revenge a while back.

Plus, they could be testing them in public and not many people would notice.

Wilk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Dakota
I was hoping for a diesel with manual option way back before they released any info on that. Once they thoroughly crushed my dreams of a 6 speed diesel, I figured a 6 speed pentastar will have to do and then maybe put a hemi in when some money is freed up after a few years have been paid.

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
i have to wait whether i want the diesel or not the JL isnt even here yet:(

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
My wife is in Indianapolis for work, she called last night to tell me she stopped at a red light along side a clad Gladiator test mule. She rolled the window down & heard teh diesel :rock: She drives a GC ecodiesel every day so she knows what they sound like. Between the EPA & Jeep’s unpredictable management, I won’t trust that the 3.0 will be available until we see them on the lot -

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm not. I'm a huge fan of diesels, and I even owned two U.S. Spec diesel Jeeps about 10 years ago. But the fact is, the diesel makes no sense in today's market.

It's far more expensive, diesel fuel is more expensive, maintenance costs more, parts cost more, reliability is nowhere near what it used to be, they are laden with emissions equipment, and it's harder to find fuel. And, on a Jeep the diesel won't tow as much as the gas model. So there's literally zero reason to buy one, well, unless you just love that slow speed torque.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Since the color I want is "late availability" anyways, I might as well wait another 5 months (or a year) for the diesel to come out. Also... it gives the aftermarket people time to make some kool shit I can put on this beast.

The problem is its not even a year its a year and 2 months at the earliest and knowing Jeep it could be pushed back to a year and a half. @JAY confirmed its calendar year 2020 so not typical 2020 production year (which is usually in sept/oct/nov of the prior year).

The good news is your right more aftermarket parts. AEV should have their lift kits and rear bumper at SEMA 2019 so can save the money and not buy the steel bumper group from Jeep, and hopefully, their lift kit will work with the diesel.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not. I'm a huge fan of diesels, and I even owned two U.S. Spec diesel Jeeps about 10 years ago. But the fact is, the diesel makes no sense in today's market.

It's far more expensive, diesel fuel is more expensive, maintenance costs more, parts cost more, reliability is nowhere near what it used to be, they are laden with emissions equipment, and it's harder to find fuel. And, on a Jeep the diesel won't tow as much as the gas model. So there's literally zero reason to buy one, well, unless you just love that slow speed torque.
We get it, you hate modern diesels. Not sure why you have to go in every diesel thread on here and the JL forums and try and shit on them, why not just ignore them and move on with your day?

The diesel will have better range (assumed) and the TQ will make for a better driving experience (merging on freeways, passing, etc), and be less prone to fuel economy reduction from mods. This is prior to even considering aftermarket tunes to increase power. So there are reasons to buy the diesel even though its more expensive.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
We get it, you hate modern diesels. Not sure why you have to go in every diesel thread on here and the JL forums and try and shit on them, why not just ignore them and move on with your day?

The diesel will have better range (assumed) and the TQ will make for a better driving experience (merging on freeways, passing, etc), and be less prone to fuel economy reduction from mods. This is prior to even considering aftermarket tunes to increase power. So there are reasons to buy the diesel even though its more expensive.
I never said I hate modern diesels. In fact, if you took all the shortcomings I listed away I'd be in line to get one again. Not sure why you had to "shit on" my opinion. If you don't like it, why not just ignore it and move on with your day?

The diesel also will have better range assuming you're carrying your own fuel. Otherwise you're at the mercy of finding diesel fuel which is very doable but not nearly as doable as finding gasoline in the U.S.

As far as power goes, you can take the V6 which is standard and spend $5,000ish on a supercharger kit and end up with a Jeep that will blow the doors off an EcoDiesel for roughly the exact same money spent.

Lastly, I didn't "shit on" the EcoDiesel. I shared my opinions on it, which is the purpose of a community forum. If you want to wait another two years for an engine that might be offered, and pay a ton more money for it, and end up with no real world benefit and an engine with a track record of complete internal failures, by all means do so. :clap: That's what makes America great.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
...The diesel also will have better range assuming you're carrying your own fuel.
Actually, the diesel will have better range as long as it's fuel tank holds at least the same amount as a JT w/ a gas engine ;)
My WK2 ecodiesel can routinely reach 750 miles per tank. This gives you an advantage to stop for that 'hard-to-find' diesel when you find the best price.
I do agree modern diesels have become much too complicated, mostly due to oppressive emissions regulations. + the manufacturers have gone past the point of gouging w/ 'upcharges' :mad:
Jeep did have some issues with the earlier 3.0's, I'm thinking this is at least partly responsible for the delay in the production of the Wrangler & Pickup w/ the diesel option as they are improving the engine. Or maybe they are just wringing their hands for a year and will just punt on the idea altogether, we'll just have to wait & see.

I would LOVE to see a head-to-head competition between an ecodiesel vs. a supercharged gas JT :muscle:
Sponsored