Sponsored

What Tires and Why?

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
Thought I would start off a thread for tires, since I can't buy the Gladiator yet I though we could start talking about specifics in everyones build.

I'm going to go with the BFG A/T KO2 in a 37x12.50R17 tire weight 69lbs. I bring up the weight because the weight of the 285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak M/T is 63.3lbs so not gaining to much to move up to the 37" tire.

Of course it also depends on the wheels you plan on running, I think the JLUR wheels are only 21.6lbs so most aftermarket wheels are going to wight more than stock.
Sponsored

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
I run 37" Pitbulls on 15" Hutchinson's on my TJ, about 130 lbs each, and have never had issues. So I don't see why my driving style couldn't support up to a 40" on the much stronger JT axles. I've hacked my TJ all up to make room though and wouldn't do that to the JT, so whatever fits, fits .

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
A few years ago I was in the market for new rubber. After looking into it I went with Goodyear Duratrac. This is one of the sources I used to help. I was looking for a tire that was good on the street, in snow and off road. I now have close to 60,000 on them and I am very pleased.

They have gotten a bit louder in the past few miles. But they are at the end of there life span.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheels-tires/129-1204-4x4-tire-guide/

JEEPN X 4

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep JK Unlimited Sport, 2014 Manley ORV Original Trailer
Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX.

1. Made in USA, engineered in USA, and company owned in USA.
2. Hybrid AT and MT that does well on all 4wd surfaces and still excellent in rain/snow on pavement
3. Impossibly strong sidewalls
4. Quiet (until they're 35k miles +, then they start to get noisier)

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator
I run KO2s on basically all my streetable rigs. So I will probably continue that trend.

Sponsored

JJStasen

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 RAM, 12 Tahoe, 97 TJ [RIP 99 XJ ton's and 35's]
Vehicle Showcase
I plan on Maxxis Bighorn MT-762.

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
I have heard good things about the Nitto Ridge Grapplers, but will research the Falkens. I know nothing about them. I am thinking 35s with a 2 inch lift. I want the spare to fit under it and I want to fit in a parking garage. That makes it 77 inches with the hard top. If I find myself high centering or whacking the back bumper, I can always do more lift and tires and forget about the garages.

KA350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
I have heard good things about the Nitto Ridge Grapplers, but will research the Falkens. I know nothing about them. I am thinking 35s with a 2 inch lift. I want the spare to fit under it and I want to fit in a parking garage. That makes it 77 inches with the hard top. If I find myself high centering or whacking the back bumper, I can always do more lift and tires and forget about the garages.
I’m nitto trail grapplers right now, but they suck in the snow. They have worn really well and are tough as nails! I’m switching to Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 37/12.5x17 in a load D.

Should be a solid tire!

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
I have never had good results with BFG tires. I have tried them on three seperate occassions and they only last half as long mileage wise as they claimed. I will never buy another set of BFG tires.

MACHZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 RAM Rebel, 19 subaru forester
I will be running Duratracs. I have had two sets, the first had over 60K in good shape when I sold the jeep. The current set have 72K and just passed inspection in September. They are decent in the snow and are not as noisy as most other tires.

Sponsored

marcram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep WK Diesel
35" Cooper AT3 XLT. I love the STT pros I currently have in my wk, but they are pretty noisy and don't see the mud enough. I also like the solid raised white lettering both offer and the USA brand.

Gonna use my wk aev pintlers for the wheels.

CollageMaker_20181204_102054716.jpg

OP
OP
Jeep_VB

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
I have never had good results with BFG tires. I have tried them on three seperate occassions and they only last half as long mileage wise as they claimed. I will never buy another set of BFG tires.
Interesting I have had them on other vehicles and don't have a bad thing to say about them at all. I really like the Toyo Open Country R/T as well, had them on my last jeep and they were great. They are just much heavier than the BFG's. Trying to keep weight as low as possible to negate some side affects. I will say when I rotate my tires I always Rotate in my spare as well.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Toyo AT IIs, 285/75/18, I have owned a JK and JKU, I really prefer a 285 width over 315, I have run both, the 285/75/18s are actually taller than most 35s. Toyos as I have had 3 sets, they wear very well and take very little weight to balance, also made in the US.
Sponsored