Sponsored

2020 Jeep Gladiator Specifications Sheet & Feature Availability

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
My quote was really just meant to be a joke about the "math for the win" post earlier, so no. I did not try to guestimate the size of the wheel wells that are obviously taking up way more space than the ribbing in the bed floor. If I was trying to make any kind of legitimate comment, it was that I'm not too concerned about how shallow the bed is. Some one will take a tape measure to the thing soon enough and we won't have to guess much longer.
my comment was also kind of a joke. it should be like 18.15" now. =)

I think i'll like the shallow depth. Easier to grab stuff. If I need to move a ton of stuff i'll use a trailer or topper.
Sponsored

WanderingTrail

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wanderingtrail.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Rubicon
Occupation
SSHO
A lot of the beds out there are 20-22" in depth, so 18" isn't that bad. Even in the full sizes at work, we typically try to stack the plywood on rails above the wheel wells, just keeps it out of the dirt, and it's easier to get a hold of and pull out without damaging the sides.

Ron

Last edited:

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
If I'm reading the specs correctly, the bed width is 44.8" wide at the wheel wells. That is exactly 3.2" less than a sheet of plywood. I was really hoping for a 48" width between the wells. Beautiful vehicle indeed, but not having a full 48" will make it hard for my family to pull the trigger on this truck.
That's the purpose of the half-open tailgate position - it's the same height as the wheel arches so it will support the back of a sheet of plywood loaded on top of the wheels.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
i missed where they said its the same height as the wheel arches.

i only saw them say if you put 2x4s out the back they'll stick up, so they can't fall out.

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
That's the purpose of the half-open tailgate position - it's the same height as the wheel arches so it will support the back of a sheet of plywood loaded on top of the wheels.
This was specifically designed this way to be able to put a full sheet of plywood in the back.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This was specifically designed this way to be able to put a full sheet of plywood in the back.
That's probably why its designed to support 1600 lbs. Actually, i thought one video they said 1800, but i thought the payoad capacity was only 1600.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
That's probably why its designed to support 1600 lbs. Actually, i thought one video they said 1800, but i thought the payoad capacity was only 1600.
Hah! Great point. But I think this is a crowd that appreciates all things over-built... so thats what they did.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I thought I saw, and was mentioned in a video, that the front of the bed had a notch to slide in a 2x4. This, in conjunction with the half position of the gate, work to support sheet goods.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I thought I saw, and was mentioned in a video, that the front of the bed had a notch to slide in a 2x4. This, in conjunction with the half position of the gate, work to support sheet goods.
You're correct, its not so much a notch as depression (yah same thing kinda) in the middle of the wheel well. You can see it here.

2020-jeep-gladiator-jt-pickup-truck-la-auto-show-3-jpg.jpg

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Yes there are rounded plastic notches that the tailgate cables slide over that lock the tailgate at wheel well height. I think he said three different height locks in the video. Could be all way up, all way down, and halfway. Or maybe several heights between open and closed. I did see the midpoint demonstration and they are designed to hold the weight on the tailgate.

Sponsored

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Yes there are rounded plastic notches that the tailgate cables slide over that lock the tailgate at wheel well height. I think he said three different height locks in the video. Could be all way up, all way down, and halfway. Or maybe several heights between open and closed. I did see the midpoint demonstration and they are designed to hold the weight on the tailgate.
The 3 heights are closed (full height), mid (hooked around the loop) and open (level with bed.) There are a couple of videos about the 'mid height' setting, you have a cable that hooks around a loop at that height, non-adjustable.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're correct, its not so much a notch as depression (yah same thing kinda) in the middle of the wheel well. You can see it here.

2020-jeep-gladiator-jt-pickup-truck-la-auto-show-3-jpg.jpg
so you cut a 2x4 to fit accross the wheel arches, and then load the plywood on top? Neat.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That sounds like sarcasm.
Jeep Gladiator 2020 Jeep Gladiator Specifications Sheet & Feature Availability {filename}
lol, no i wasn't being sarcastic, that is neat that they thought of that. I don't haul plywood often, but when i do, i hate getting out my trailer from the back yard to do so. I also don't want a full size truck. So this is a smart way of getting it done. =P

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
lol, no i wasn't being sarcastic, that is neat that they thought of that. I don't haul plywood often, but when i do, i hate getting out my trailer from the back yard to do so. I also don't want a full size truck. So this is a smart way of getting it done. =P
Ah, well your phrasing made me start to realize that I probably won't always have a 2x4 of the proper length with me, though remembering to have a board in the truck will be better than going home to pick up the trailer.
Sponsored