JK2JL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 JK
Oh nice! Math for the win!
I don’t think this is accurate as the hinge point is lower than the bed itself, then add width of the gate as well... I’m sure it will be closer to 15” but I’ve been trying to find that spec to decide as well....

Someone at the show please measure the cargo bed depth from bed floor to top of bed rail!
Sponsored

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
It's kind of funny, they are really playing up how easy it is to reach over and into the bed. Obviously, it's somewhat shallow to make sure the top follows the body line while the bottom can be high enough to house a 35" spare tire and still be able to have 11" of clearance. I don't think it is this way to make it easy to reach into, so they have to do some marketing spin. I'm fine either way, just amused.

To look at the pictures it seems to be somewhere in the 18-20" range.
I had the same reaction when I heard the guy touting how easy it is to reach in. I get the reasons why it is shallow and would not change it, but it would be nice if they fessed up and gave that spec. It is not like someone will not take a tape measure to it. Looks like an ice chest or fridge should fit ok. Regarding the spare, I can live with 35s. I wonder how wide the 35s in those pictures were. Hopefully you can fit a 12.5 under there.

mfran12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
I don’t think this is accurate as the hinge point is lower than the bed itself, then add width of the gate as well... I’m sure it will be closer to 15” but I’ve been trying to find that spec to decide as well....

Someone at the show please measure the cargo bed depth from bed floor to top of bed rail!
Correct as to why I said about 18 inches. It shouldn’t be more than that.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Correct as to why I said about 18 inches. It shouldn’t be more than that.
Upland to go to the Fort Worth auto show hoping the JT will be there, as the JL was there last year after the LA auto show. If so, I’ll get the measurement if not made public.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
One frustrating thing to me, the stupid flippin LED headlights... why the heck is this ONLY an option for the Overland and Rubicon. I honestly almost consider the Rubicon so I can get a good Mopar headlight that doesn't flicker or require harnesses or whatever. It looks like its $1k for headlights and almost $500 for fog lights in the Mopar JPP catalog... and I'm not 100% sure they're the same thing.

Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Thats marketing, trying to get the upsell

BTW, there are tons of aftermarket LED headlights available for JK and JL that will of course fit the JT. I have a set of Inspired Engineering that cost under 300 with anti flicker harnesses.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Thats marketing, trying to get the upsell

BTW, there are tons of aftermarket LED headlights available for JK and JL that will of course fit the JT. I have a set of Inspired Engineering that cost under 300 with anti flicker harnesses.
Yah I kinda hate marketing, but I also hate the headlights in my JKU. I'll look into Inspired Engineering. I'll also just consider those cool KC Hilites again

Hooch1

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
If I'm reading the specs correctly, the bed width is 44.8" wide at the wheel wells. That is exactly 3.2" less than a sheet of plywood. I was really hoping for a 48" width between the wells. Beautiful vehicle indeed, but not having a full 48" will make it hard for my family to pull the trigger on this truck.

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
If I'm reading the specs correctly, the bed width is 44.8" wide at the wheel wells. That is exactly 3.2" less than a sheet of plywood. I was really hoping for a 48" width between the wells. Beautiful vehicle indeed, but not having a full 48" will make it hard for my family to pull the trigger on this truck.
In the release they said that with the tailgate at half lock you can fit a sheet of plywood in the back of the truck. Obviously it will hang out the back some, but they specifically pointed this out at the debut.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
It'll be 48" wide above the wheel arches then. Put tailgate at half open and can probably put a lot of plywood above the wheel arches.

I only haul plywood maybe two times per year, so this is still sufficient.

Sponsored

fourlow78

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'77 J10, '20 Gladiator Rubicon, '62 Ford Fairlane
Vehicle Showcase
Oh nice! Math for the win!
I'm going with just under 18". I converted the published cubic bed volume to inches and then divided by both of the published length and width dimensions to get just under 18" for the bed height. Ribbing in the floor will complicate that simple math solution some, but anyway you look at it, it'll definitely be a shallow bed. I'm not concerned.

audibahn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT, 2013 JKUR
Happy to see how many custom options are offered. It'll come down to pricing, but leaning toward the Sport version with max tow package. Main capability difference of the Rubicon for me would be the 4.10 low range and stock lockers. All else that matters to me would probably get changed anyway (bumpers, sliders, etc.) I wonder how big of a tire size one can run on the 4.10 axles. May not be worth it getting the max tow package with 4.10 gears vs. 3.73 if I'll plan on upgrading gears anyway. I do wish a leather package was available on the Sport.

Bottom line, if I plan on keeping the JT stock, a Rubicon would make more sense. If I plan on building up gears, suspension, armor, etc. I might as well start with the Sport. I'd only give up the 4.10 low range.

Now anxiously awaiting the diesel specs.

Decisions decisions.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I'm going with just under 18". I converted the published cubic bed volume to inches and then divided by both of the published length and width dimensions to get just under 18" for the bed height. Ribbing in the floor will complicate that simple math solution some, but anyway you look at it, it'll definitely be a shallow bed. I'm not concerned.
Did you subtract the wheel arches taking space out of the bed?

fourlow78

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'77 J10, '20 Gladiator Rubicon, '62 Ford Fairlane
Vehicle Showcase
Did you subtract the wheel arches taking space out of the bed?
My quote was really just meant to be a joke about the "math for the win" post earlier, so no. I did not try to guestimate the size of the wheel wells that are obviously taking up way more space than the ribbing in the bed floor. If I was trying to make any kind of legitimate comment, it was that I'm not too concerned about how shallow the bed is. Some one will take a tape measure to the thing soon enough and we won't have to guess much longer.

Gecko-JKU

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Gecko Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Gone but not forgotten), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Toyota 4 Runner
In one of the videos they already confirmed the 18" bed height. In a round about fashion. They mentioned the bed is 5 foot or 6.5 feet with the tailgate down. Just enough to hold things in and grab them easily.
Sponsored