First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
I may be waiting for the eTorque version of the Pentastar Gem. I test drove this a few times on the RAM DT and it made the ESS work so much better than my 2016 WK2. If you have any doubts, you owe it to yourself to Drive both versions. So, I am hopeful for the JT and wondering WHERE will Jeep PLACE the 48 volt battery pack? Same as the JL 2.0L - under the vehicle, or will jeep make room behind the rear seat (like the DT) or perhaps under the rear seat, where apparently there is a lot of room (minus that optional storage container thing! With a year of this under jeeps belt (DT) I'm hopeful the transition into the JT will be "seamless" (ugh!).
Anyone else curious or wanting or willing to wait like I am on this ? Can't wait for some scoop (inside) photos when it's installed !
Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
This tech bothers me more and more. I'll jump in or not despite all the nonsense. If it's priced Right, I'll be a guinea pig for the ESS and all the other questionables. If I'm in the used market due to sticker shock, by then it'll all be worked out so no matter, whether people know how to disable, workaround, or jeep fixes... Who puts a kill switch you have to turn off?

OP
OP
Lou3.6

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You an keep your electric motor off my engine. I can do without them.
All about choices (I hope) . . . ain't my motor, and I'm not sure I'm all that excited about all the additional "stuff" required or where THAT "stuff" is attached ! One of the reasons I opted out of the 2.0L on the JL (if I decide to go the JL route .
I really do need to change Lou2.0 to Lou3.6 - as I've done over at the JL Forum, with photo . I'm still gonna give the electric motor a "shot" - SEE where they stuff the "parts" and make my decision after the new smoke settles with it - if & when they do this .

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
I'm glad I opted for a Manual Transmission in my Challenger, they aren't putting that crap on the manual Transmission model engines right now, but I'm sure they will figure out a way eventually. :(

Sponsored

Malarkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1993 BMW 325is, 2016 Triumph Street Twin
All about choices (I hope) . . . ain't my motor, and I'm not sure I'm all that excited about all the additional "stuff" required or where THAT "stuff" is attached ! One of the reasons I opted out of the 2.0L on the JL (if I decide to go the JL route.
I really do need to change Lou2.0 to Lou3.6 - as I've done over at the JL Forum, with photo . I'm still gonna give the electric motor a "shot" - SEE where they stuff the "parts" and make my decision after the new smoke settles with it - if & when they do this .
The 3.6 in the ram (DT) is changed from the 3.6 used in the wranglers and probably the gladiator. Different locations of alternators, cam profiles, and intakes would be a basic guess. The new Rams has the etorque system using a BSG (belt starter generator) instead of the ESS that is on the wranglers with the 3.6. Basically the difference is that the DT uses the alternator in reverse, turning it into a giant electric motor so they really are not adding any "New parts" other then the 48 volt battery. It functions like a normal alternator to charge the batteries and when needed they switch it and then it turns the crank instead of the crank tuning it. I don't think you will see many issues with the physical unit since alternators have been on engines for a long long time, electric motors are pretty robust these days.

ESS uses the starter motor still. They are beefed up to deal with the heat from all the use and usually are also constantly engaged to the flywheel instead of the usual starter that has to spin and slides to engage. Its also already on manual transmission JL.

If I could pick between the two systems, I would take the BSG all day. Below is a video where they talk about some other things it is designed to do other then just "save fuel". its pretty cool

Hope I could help explain the systems a little bit!

OP
OP
Lou3.6

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The 3.6 in the ram (DT) is changed from the 3.6 used in the wranglers and probably the gladiator. Different locations of alternators, cam profiles, and intakes would be a basic guess. The new Rams has the etorque system using a BSG (belt starter generator) instead of the ESS that is on the wranglers with the 3.6. Basically the difference is that the DT uses the alternator in reverse, turning it into a giant electric motor so they really are not adding any "New parts" other then the 48 volt battery. It functions like a normal alternator to charge the batteries and when needed they switch it and then it turns the crank instead of the crank tuning it. I don't think you will see many issues with the physical unit since alternators have been on engines for a long long time, electric motors are pretty robust these days.

ESS uses the starter motor still. They are beefed up to deal with the heat from all the use and usually are also constantly engaged to the flywheel instead of the usual starter that has to spin and slides to engage. Its also already on manual transmission JL.

If I could pick between the two systems, I would take the BSG all day. Below is a video where they talk about some other things it is designed to do other then just "save fuel". its pretty cool

Hope I could help explain the systems a little bit!
Thanks Malarkey, but I have all that knowledge behind me over the course of the initial reveal videos of the DT and the Many 3rd party Reviewer Videos, etcetera . BSG and ESS are 2 distinct animals, as you know . I have the initial ESS as designed into my 2016 WK2 V6, with the smaller 2nd (regular) battery . Supposedly (dealer techs.) I have no issues with the alternator or the batteries, the belts are snug and the computer soft booted or whatever the heck they call what they do to attempt a "fix" electronically ! ? SO as it turns out (apparently) it's my fault for not driving long-enough trips to get the battery fully charged after sitting in a cold garage for 2 to 3 days at a time . I come to believe this is the case (in my wk2) because I don't usually have the problem during Late Spring thru mid Fall, when I drive more often - as I go to and fro to fly fish in my part of the world (NW) . My concerns, on the JL/JT are about the added equipment, referred to as the heating and cooling lines to the 48 volt pack & the packs location (JL) . Heck even between the DT's V8 "electric motor" (air cooled) and V6's (water cooled), and their locations are different - but you know that ! I don't know how much smaller the engine bay of the JL/JT is vs. the DT's, so I've been wondering if JEEP could possibly make the JT's V6 eTorque System's "electric motor" Air Cooled as well ! Less complicated ! ? Just more time killing speculation ! It's too cold to fly fish and I'm not into Ice Fishing .

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It's all fun and games until the powertrain warranty is gone and that $1,295 MGU dies or that 48V battery system and wiring gets fried or those cooling lines running under the Jeep get ruptured on an obstacle when you're miles from home.

K.I.S.S.

OP
OP
Lou3.6

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It's all fun and games until the powertrain warranty is gone and that $1,295 MGU dies or that 48V battery system and wiring gets fried or those cooling lines running under the Jeep get ruptured on an obstacle when you're miles from home.

K.I.S.S.
Exactly . . . which is why all my "hesitation" hope that when they do "it" to the JT, they have another approach . As I suggested in another post - perhaps similar to the DT V8 -- AIR Cooled Generator Vice Liquid Cooled in the V6 ! Can't even see the Generator in any photos I've seen of the eTorque system with the JL 2.0L ! I'm of the "Wait and See Approach" mindset for the JT . Who knows maybe they'll delay this too - on into 2021 !?

OP
OP
Lou3.6

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IF I could get JAY or a non-hater of eTorque (such as member 'Fuel' who has a 2 door JLU w/eTorque?) to POST the below video from 'Autoline.TV' !

IT is Very Informative FROM the key-engineer of the System ! I've always been a skeptic since the Questions of the design flaws - in regards to the hose & lines running from the engine bay to the 48 volt battery packs (various) locations !
I'm still hopeful though, that Revisions will happen to improve the application when it hits the Gladiator V6 ! I just may opt for IT, or in the JLU if Gladiator is too expensive ! ? 'Fuel' has no regrets (so far) and I'm beginning to "see the light" !?

Further insight into eTorque - from October 18, 2018, AUTOLINE.TV !

By selecting show # - ATW 2235 (Autoline This Week); HOW FCA is turning Pickups (jeeps too) into "Hybrids".
THANKS !
edit - damn auto correct SUCKS . . . even after checking my spelling IT F'ed it up after . . .
it's AUTO and LINE dot TV sorry .

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lou3.6

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Feeling the need to correct myself about my 2016 G.C.'s 3.6L/8-spd. -- Apparently it is NOT 285hp, it's 295hp & 260pf of torque ! THIS makes me wonder even more of the Capability of the Gladiator - being ~ the SAME weight > ~ 4625 lbs. !
Same Weight, Less Aerodynamic, Less Horse Power by 10 ! Not feeling good about that, as I find my G.C. with 295 to be sluggish and wanting for more when entering freeways or wanting to pass . . . No Fun Factor like with the Hemi (my old 1500 had). Or the torque . Step it up JEEP !

Big-Foot

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, 2002 Jeep Wrangler-X, 2017 Ford Raptor, 2008 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Fabricator
You an keep your electric motor off my engine. I can do without them.
You do realize, of course, that you’ll be using a re-purposed Lawn-Boy Recoil Starter rope to get that sucker started? ;)

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Yep no electric motor means no starter. The alternator is just an electric motor in reverse. Actually when you think about it realistically the BSG is less complicated since it has one less electric motor. I am not yet a fan of etorque but I am very interested in the technology. It just makes sense. The mechanics are simple the hard part in this type of system is the management software. Fortunately it is easily changed if post production problems arise. With it already on the road in other platforms it should be ready to go when released on Gladiator and Wrangler.

OP
OP
Lou3.6

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yep no electric motor means no starter. The alternator is just an electric motor in reverse. Actually when you think about it realistically the BSG is less complicated since it has one less electric motor. I am not yet a fan of etorque but I am very interested in the technology. It just makes sense. The mechanics are simple the hard part in this type of system is the management software. Fortunately it is easily changed if post production problems arise. With it already on the road in other platforms it should be ready to go when released on Gladiator and Wrangler.
Early on in the JL, there were some Hardware issues - the hot & cold "lines" connections to the 48V-pack had some leaking issues . Not an event for the vast majority, but of concern enough I trust, for FCA/Jeep to take a look . Things seem to be even better with the RAM DT's application . I say that with caution because I base it on what I read over at 5thGEN ! I did Enjoy my test drive of this system in a DT 1500 back in the Fall - "super cool," and seamless .
What most impresses me about the eTorque over the ESS ? Both systems DO save on FUEL, noticeably at every stop light while you wait that 60 + seconds your saving ~ 1+ ounces ! This was confirmed and demonstrated - seeing the amount in a glass jar, on one of the AUTOLINE TV SHOWS A FEW MONTHS AGO They had a Jeep Tech-guru explaning the system .
Both save fuel, but the added advantage of eTorque is the EFFICIENCY, the seamless efficiency, and instantaneous start up and initial "get up & go" response from the added 90pf of torque ! Zero Comparison to ESS ! The regenerative breaking and other benefits are "cool" too ! I'm not gonna pretend I can explain it, but there are a # of good videos to be had with a google search !
To say you don't like something just "because," makes no sense at all . . . so to those not willing to learn in order to make an INFORMED decision . . . well, I don't know what to say . . . ! ? I AM looking forward to the V6 JLU's getting it and hopefully the V6 JT ? I haven't checked in recently with the JL 2.0 guys in awhile, but I know "FUEL" loves his 2 door JL 2.0 w/e Torque (std.)!
I'm not a turbo fan so I opted to not go the 2.0 route early on (JL).

Last edited:

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I do like the turbo 2.0 but since I need a truck I will be getting a Gladiator to scratch the Jeep itch. What will really save fuel and I suspect is in the pipeline for every manufacturer is to convert the AC to an electric compressor so that it can run off of the 48V while the engine is off. If you have ESS or BSG you know that it only stops for a few seconds when it is hot outside. I bet the 48V system would power the AC compressor for several minutes before the engine has to restart to make power.
Sponsored