Sponsored

Meet the new boss...same as the old boss

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Pentastar design from early on accounted for DI and turbo applications for later growth. Sounds like Stellantis is going to get their moneys worth out of that.

Also, the "Tornado" inline 6 like is meant to replace the Hemi V8's so there would still have been a gap in the high 200hp, low 300hp engine line the Pentastar currently fills.

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Hopefully not DI, its a fu&$%#g nightmare. Learnt that with two DI cars I had. It would be nice if they could bump the power 315/300 or somewhere in that neighborhood. Overall I like my 3.6, its adequate with heavy 35” and 4.10. Like anyone more is nice but keeping it reliable is key.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep has already basically said the I6 will replace the hemi.
The 3.6 is already made there in MI as well as Mexico.

Investing money in an existing plant doesn't mean no new engine. They could be pulling production from other locations - OR - simply need added production capabilities.

Pentastar design from early on accounted for DI and turbo applications for later growth. Sounds like Stellantis is going to get their moneys worth out of that.

Also, the "Tornado" inline 6 like is meant to replace the Hemi V8's so there would still have been a gap in the high 200hp, low 300hp engine line the Pentastar currently fills.
Yeah, don't count the I6 out. It's coming, it's been talked about officially. The hemi isn't going to spread, the I6 will go there instead.

DI was the plan for the Pentastar 3.6 but I'm glad it's not here yet. They will eventually have to go there because of the improvement of mpg, better torque and lower emissions. Torque can be improved by a lot with DI.
However, until they deal with the carbon build-ups and oil issues, it will be problematic.
Even GM is coming up with new technology, new ways, to deal with the problem of oil on the valves and carbon build-up in DI engines. They have patented an internal "catch can" type of device. What will Stelantis do to handle it?

From the web -

The Pentastar V-6 engine family consists of three displacements: 3.6-liter; 3.2-liter (Jeep Cherokee) and 3.0-liter (Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Wrangler and Chrysler 300 sold in China). Three FCA US facilities produce these engines:
Trenton Engine Complex, Trenton, Mich. (3.6-liter, 3.2-liter, 3.0-liter)
Saltillo South Engine Plant, Saltillo, Mexico (3.6-liter)
Mack Avenue Engine Plant, Detroit (3.6-liter, 3.2-liter)

Sponsored

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
For some context, our small school district is building a new bus barn for $6 million. We already own the land, that is just the facilities.

$24 million for an update to a major auto maker is not a huge investment. This seems like a minor update to an existing facility. Look up the cost of new plants or major upgrades.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
For some context, our small school district is building a new bus barn for $6 million. We already own the land, that is just the facilities.

$24 million for an update to a major auto maker is not a huge investment. This seems like a minor update to an existing facility. Look up the cost of new plants or major upgrades.
Actually it's a pretty small investment these days. Not a real big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Why not use both port and direct injection? There are some engines already doing this to combat the carbon issue and split the duty cycle depending on RPM and engine temp.

jwolfejt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Why not use both port and direct injection? There are some engines already doing this to combat the carbon issue and split the duty cycle depending on RPM and engine temp.
Extra complication, cost for little gain in terms of efficiency - not worth it (i'd rather stick with port injection).

Sponsored

jwolfejt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
I highly doubt they will drop the 3.6 pentastar soon - its great on emissions and efficiency as is and I am more than certain that its turning profits for them.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I don't expect any engine changes for the JT until the electric model is available. I think the main reason the diesel was added was due to European requirements.
Sponsored