The Jeep Gladiator IS a CAR!!

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
So, I’ve literally lost count how many times ppl on this site making references to the Jeep Gladiator as a “car” have been excoriated for not properly referring to it as a truck, or as a Jeep. Hmm...If you watch Taylor Langhals recent interview, notice at 2 min 22 secs he refers to the reveal of the “car” at the LA Auto show. This particular “car” was the Gladiator. I suppose as the chief designer of the Jeep Gladiator, and being a mere 4th generation member of a Jeep family in Toledo, OH, Mr. Langhals may not know what he’s talking about, but I for one will take him at his word

From here on out, let’s please don’t lambast folks posting here using the word “car” to refer to any Jeep, even the Gladiator.
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
So, I’ve literally lost count how many times ppl on this site making references to the Jeep Gladiator as a “car” have been excoriated for not properly referring to it as a truck, or as a Jeep. Hmm...If you watch Taylor Langhals recent interview, notice at 2 min 22 secs he refers to the reveal of the “car” at the LA Auto show. This particular “car” was the Gladiator. I suppose as the chief designer of the Jeep Gladiator, and being a mere 4th generation member of a Jeep family in Toledo, OH, Mr. Langhals may not know what he’s talking about, but I for one will take him at his word

From here on out, let’s please don’t lambast folks posting here using the word “car” to refer to any Jeep, even the Gladiator.
Can we excoriate you for using the word "excoriated"? Just kidding...

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

Jeep Gladiator, the FIRST Jeep car to haul plywood.

Sponsored

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
i agree i have trouble calling something that small a truck its a ute in aussie speak even a ram is a ute its not a truck till its a real truck

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Here we go again. :ontheloo:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
i think in the USA anything with 4 wheels, a gas pedal and a bed is a TRUCK, except the Subaru Baja, and El camino, and Ranchero and..........

Whatever, the JT is a truck to me, you can call it a lollipop if you want to.:giggle:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought of another thing on the way to work. The Gladiator is being built in Toledo (so USA naming convention applies) , the guy that designed it called it a truck, so its truck enough for me.

Also I would run the 4 year old test, my son would call this a car driving down the road,
USC60CHC111C021001.jpg

and this a truck
2018-ford-f150-roush-lariat-oxford-white-0-m.jpg

and this a Jeep
2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-first-drive-review.jpg

I'll ask him tonight what this is and report back. Hopefully he says COOL TRUCK DAD!
https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2018%2F11%2Fjeep-2020-gladiator-truck-debut-2019-release-6.jpg

Sponsored

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
i think in the USA anything with 4 wheels, a gas pedal and a bed is a TRUCK, except the Subaru Baja, and El camino, and Ranchero and..........

Whatever, the JT is a truck to me, you can call it a lollipop if you want to.:giggle:
You forgot the frame. It musnt be unibody, thats why pickups like a baja aren't a truck.
But ya I pretty much call anything with 4 wheels, a frame, a engine and 4x4 a truck. Even suvs like suburbans.
To me if it has a bed and fits the other requirements then it is a pickup truck but if it doesn't have a bed (SUVs) it is a SUV truck.

Last edited:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
This is EGREGIOUS. Jeeps are NOT cars. The reason every Ute out there gets called a Jeep is because the Willys, the CJs and the Wranglers are so iconic. SO, I hereby declare that calling a JL or JT anything but a Jeep is HERESY! To the pit of misery to those who would blaspheme the almighty Jeep name!

:CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL:

Dear OP, please read this with the intended sarcasm it was written in. Call it any damn thing you want, but I plan to call one MINE.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You forgot the frame. It musnt be unibody, thats why pickups like a baja aren't a truck.
But ya I pretty much call anything with 4 wheels, a frame, a engine and 4x4 a truck. Even suvs like suburbans.
To me if it has a bed and fits the other requirements then it is a pickup truck but if it doesn't have a bed (SUVs) it is a SUV truck.
I've heard plenty do this as well. I for one am not a fan of a honda pilot being called a truck, but i'm cool with it.

To the pit of misery to those who would blaspheme the almighty Jeep name!.
Blaspheme......lol

This is a good read on the history of Semi Trailer Trucks. I had no idea that a Semi was actually just an abbreviation of the name for the trailer. Now I know! And knowing is half the Battle. :muscle:
https://www.gwtrans.com/the-history-of-semi-trailer-trucks/

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
I've heard plenty do this as well. I for one am not a fan of a honda pilot being called a truck, but i'm cool with it.
No!
Honda pilot is not frame based so it is not a truck but instead a crossover Suv.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No!
Honda pilot is not frame based so it is not a truck but instead a crossover Suv.
Oh, so you mean like suburban (assuming frame based)?

What mid-size suv is frame based other than wrangler?
Sponsored