Sponsored

Midsize shootout review: Gladiator vs Ranger, Tacoma, Colorado (Autoblog)

relapsekg

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon; 2012 VW GTI ; 1999 S10 ZR2
Occupation
IT
New comparison review:

Full review @ https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/12...ma-ford-ranger-jeep-gladiator-chevy-colorado/

Second place: 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport — 243 points

If we were voting solely with our hearts, the Gladiator would have won by a mile. It's hard to beat the truck's cool factor, packing in all the same charm as the Jeep Wrangler with the added utility of a bed. It was also the one we all wanted to spend more time in. "It's the Jeep truck we've all been waiting for," Migliore said, "and it certainly delivers."

Our editors agreed. "From a simple enjoyment standpoint, it's the clear winner — it has a fun and interesting character inside and out, the ride is supple, the powertrain is the most sophisticated we tested," Kierstein said. "You can take the top and doors off! I think this is the most entertaining truck around, save the F-150 Raptor."

The design drew praise, especially inside. Despite being designed to withstand dirt and grime, Migliore called it "best in class" and said that it "felt the most special." It's high on style without compromising functionality. The cabin is narrow and the greenhouse a bit shallow, but otherwise, the Gladiator is comfortable and roomy. The biggest complaint was road noise on the highway, even with our truck's optional hardtop and sound-dampening headliner (a $500 option). Still, it isn't loud enough to warrant earplugs like some Jeeps of the past.

The powertrain was the best of the bunch, thanks to a refined V6 and a buttery-smooth transmission, though we do wish the engine had a bit more grunt. With the Tacoma and Ranger, you're always aware of what the powertrain is doing, especially the transmissions. With the Gladiator, everything just works smoothly and effortlessly. And while it couldn't match the Colorado's refinement, the ride and handling were far better than expected. The long wheelbase might hurt it off-road, but it keeps the truck straight and stable on the highway. The steering is light and numb, but felt direct enough to mitigate constant corrections to keep the truck centered in the lane.

As expected, the Gladiator was a champ off-road. Stepping up to a Rubicon adds equipment such as bigger tires, rock rails, locking differentials and beefier Dana 44 axles, but the base Sport is still plenty good. "It has legit, rugged off-road underpinnings, even in the Sport trim we tested," Kierstein said. "The break-over angle is terrible, but there's enough capability here for forest service roads and mild trails. If you want to go crawling, get a two-door Wrangler."

It does all the truck stuff well, too. "It's much more than a Wrangler with a bed in the back," Migliore said. "Jeep took care to make this a legit truck." The Gladiator had the best tow rating of the bunch, though payload was just third best, and the 35.5-cubic-foot bed was only slightly larger than the Tacoma's.

So why didn't the Gladiator win? It's expensive, and we factored that into the equation — just as any truck buyer would. Unless you find a smoking deal, you're not getting into one for less than $35,000. A base Gladiator is almost $10,000 more expensive than a base Ranger and nearly $13,000 more than a Colorado. You get more capability with the Gladiator out of the box — and lots of stuff that you can't get on any other truck, such as a solid front axle, standard four-wheel drive and removable doors and roof — but even this base Sport needed thousands of dollars in options to meet the other trucks' equipment levels. Its options include a $3,200 package that adds power tinted windows, a power tailgate lock, power heated mirrors and automatic headlights; $995 for heated seats and remote start; $795 for adaptive cruise control; $1,195 for a black hardtop; and $2,000 for an automatic transmission. Most of that is either standard equipment or available at a far lower price point with the other three trucks.

Because of those options, the as-tested price was the highest here, and a loaded-up Rubicon can cost upwards of $60,000. Sure, you could forgo some of the options this particular Gladiator came with, but you'd be driving a comparatively spartan truck.

Kierstein put it well: "This truck's absolute price is hard to swallow, but as I kept reminding myself, it does a LOT that none of the other trucks can do."

Full review @ https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/12...ma-ford-ranger-jeep-gladiator-chevy-colorado/
Sponsored

megamucho

First Name
mega
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Durango R/T, '18 BMW R1200GS
Interesting results... thanks for posting it.

Timeless

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT CS
Thanks for the post. I wonder what can be done to reduce the road noise? Seems that is all they really complained about other than the price.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
They said the price was the biggest hit to the points. So since the others can't be open vehicles, I'd say the JT certainly won. Besides, the looks of the Ranger . . . Ugh (IMO).

OP
OP
relapsekg

relapsekg

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Thanks for the post. I wonder what can be done to reduce the road noise? Seems that is all they really complained about other than the price.
Nothing really, the road noise is mainly because of wind due to the "Wrangler" shape.
The Falken Wildpeak A/T's are really quiet.
FWIW, I barely notice it most of the time, unless on the expressway.

Sponsored

OP
OP
relapsekg

relapsekg

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
They said the price was the biggest hit to the points. So since the others can't be open vehicles, I'd say the JT certainly won. Besides, the looks of the Ranger . . . Ugh (IMO).
There are alot of quotes like this in Gladiator reviews that tell you all you need to know.....

"If we were voting solely with our hearts, the Gladiator would have won by a mile."

DamonC64

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rubicon
The competition are all FUGLY though and are not open air vehicles. This type of article is pointless to me because the bulk of the factors that they took into consideration aren't really on my radar. IMO these articles are written by someone who is being influenced by someone other than FCA with the hopes of pulling away some market share.

Elanachan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep TJ Wrangler Sport, 2014 Toyota Prius
Vehicle Showcase
Why is it that the Nissan Frontier is never looked at with these kind of comparisons? Before the arrival of the JT, their biggest rival was(and might still be), as a fellow japanese manufacturer, the Toyota Tacoma. So it would fit right in with this comparison. It would be interesting to see a ranked comparison between the Rubicon JT, Nismo Frontier, TRO Tacoma, the Z71 GM vehicles (Colorado/Canyon) and whatever offroad package is offered on the Ford Ranger (if any). Of course we all know the JT likely cannot be beat in off-roading capability compared to it's rivals, but it would be interesting to me to see who the runner-ups are.

Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
That is a really good question....... perhaps Nissan did not want to participate in this comparison

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
They applied a lot of logic to this comparison. If logic ruled, no one would buy a Jeep. In fact, it’s that Jeep defies logic that we all love it! Solidifies my choice all the more!

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator
If you add 4wd to all of the others pricing isn't a factor.

Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I think the way they equipped the trucks and how FCA packages options vs making alacarte options. I've built a few Colorados and it think GM does a better job at making options available without getting sucked into a whole package.

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2014 Durango, 2020 Ibis Ripley
Vehicle Showcase
New comparison review:
So why didn't the Gladiator win? It's expensive, and we factored that into the equation — just as any truck buyer would. Unless you find a smoking deal, you're not getting into one for less than $35,000. A base Gladiator is almost $10,000 more expensive than a base Ranger and nearly $13,000 more than a Colorado. You get more capability with the Gladiator out of the box — and lots of stuff that you can't get on any other truck, such as a solid front axle, standard four-wheel drive and removable doors and roof — but even this base Sport needed thousands of dollars in options to meet the other trucks' equipment levels. Its options include a $3,200 package that adds power tinted windows, a power tailgate lock, power heated mirrors and automatic headlights; $995 for heated seats and remote start; $795 for adaptive cruise control; $1,195 for a black hardtop; and $2,000 for an automatic transmission. Most of that is either standard equipment or available at a far lower price point with the other three trucks.

Because of those options, the as-tested price was the highest here, and a loaded-up Rubicon can cost upwards of $60,000. Sure, you could forgo some of the options this particular Gladiator came with, but you'd be driving a comparatively spartan truck.

Kierstein put it well: "This truck's absolute price is hard to swallow, but as I kept reminding myself, it does a LOT that none of the other trucks can do."
I feel like I'm missing something. Jeep Build & Price on a Sport S (which is clearly what they tested) with the options they listed results in a MSRP of $47,200. How did they come up with a price of $51,115? Granted, it's still upper 40s vs lower 40s for the others as tested. But why add all of the options they did? To create an apples to apples comparison? If so, why didn't they add more off-road options to the others to avoid the caveat "you get more capability with the Gladiator out of the box"? The comparison just seems a bit 'off' to me.
Sponsored