Sport S Build - Trac-Lok Anti-Spin Rear Diff

grmays

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I'm planning on doing a Sport S - Max Tow Build for my uses...much as I'd like a Rubi reality of implications for towing as well as price driving me because I tow a travel trailer or a 19 foot sport boat routinely. Love the Rubi but just don't do enough hard-core wheeling to justify and want max towing/payload capability that only comes with the Sport S and Max Tow at this point.

Question is if the Trac-Lock anti-spin rear diff is a worthy addition to the build? I'd think so since I won't have locking diffs, would give me some of the advantages if needed.

Thoughts/experience with this in the JT? I assume this has also been an option in JL/TJ, etc. but not sure so if your experience is there also like to hear about it.

Thanks!
Greg
Sponsored

Krazy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 310gs
They don't let you get a tru track with max tow, I keep going back and forth between a Rubicon and a sport ,an overland with max tow would be perfect for my needs

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
They don't let you get a tru track with max tow, I keep going back and forth between a Rubicon and a sport ,an overland with max tow would be perfect for my needs
Who's "they" ? I've just built - on line website - the Sport S with Auto, Max Tow AND the $995 option for the Locking Rear Diff . . . No Issues doing it ! SO unless "they" are the Dealer Salesperson then . . . ??? that would totally such; BUT in checking InComing JT's in my area I've FOUND a Sport S WITH Max AND the Locking Diff options . . . In Transit ! I'll be anxiously waiting / calling every day so I can go check it out & hopefully test drive . What I find "disturbing" is that many of the Sport S's in transit either have the Locking rear diff and Basic tow or max tow without the locking rear . . . go figure ! ? SO seeing the ONE with both got me excited !

Krazy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 310gs
Jeep won't let you do it , in the order matrix, plenty of discussion in the threads , just trying to help you out

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
The Trak-Loc is just a friction clutch limited slip differential, which I'd put in the category of 'better than nothing, but barely.'. I have one in my current daily driver, a 2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, and I can detect that it does in some instances provide a little bit better traction than an open differential, but not enough that I'd ever count on it to get me out of trouble. It is a pale shadow in its minor effectiveness compared to the helical gear (Torsen-type) rear axle that I once had in the factory AAM rear axle in an '06 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins. That 06 should have lost traction really easily in 2wd, with so much available torque, but, instead, it, with all season 'all terrain' tires, would go up and uphill winding driveway with 4-5 inches of un-plowed snow on it.

If you want a serious differential in the back of a Sport S, the answer is to install something.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
As mentioned, you cannot order Max Towing and Trac-Lok together, because the Max Towing package comes with a different axle that's normally equipped with Tru-Lok differential for Rubicon models. FCA has apparently decided that retrofitting those axles with Trac-Lok units for Sport models wouldn't make a good business case.

Given the choice between Trac-Lok and Max Towing, I'd go Max Towing all day every day. FAR more useful package.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
As mentioned, you cannot order Max Towing and Trac-Lok together, because the Max Towing package comes with a different axle that's normally equipped with Tru-Lok differential for Rubicon models. FCA has apparently decided that retrofitting those axles with Trac-Lok units for Sport models wouldn't make a good business case.

Given the choice between Trac-Lok and Max Towing, I'd go Max Towing all day every day. FAR more useful package.
Just to clarify on this, when I go to Jeep's website I can choose Max Tow AND Trac-lok Anti-spin with no problem. This post is the first time I had heard you couldn't order Trac-lok with Max Tow... so I'm curious to find someone that DID order both.

Edit: I just looked at local inventory and of the 15-20 vehicles I can find on any local dealers, they are either Max Tow w/ no Trac-lok, or they're no tow or regular tow and Trac-lok. That sucks.

OP
OP
grmays

grmays

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Thanks all for your input but like Lou3.6 and Eternus...I have been able to build a Sport S Max Tow WITH the Trac-Lok so those comments are confusing unless it is a disconnect in the Build and Price tool and reality...which it well might be.

KD1YT's thanks...the more I look at it the more I agree. It looks like I could potentially have an ARB Air Locker (or something like it) for about that amount of $s...though without installation cost...so I think I might save the $s and look at those options at some point later.

Thanks all!

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Thanks all for your input but like Lou3.6 and Eternus...I have been able to build a Sport S Max Tow WITH the Trac-Lok so those comments are confusing unless it is a disconnect in the Build and Price tool and reality...which it well might be.

KD1YT's thanks...the more I look at it the more I agree. It looks like I could potentially have an ARB Air Locker (or something like it) for about that amount of $s...though without installation cost...so I think I might save the $s and look at those options at some point later.

Thanks all!
I keep watching for this to all of a sudden say it's an option for a JL or JT.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/arb-traction-pack-117-117KIT2.html

$2k for front/rear lockers for Dana 44 axle + onboard air (for the lockers, but then having the benefit of being there for airing up on the trail.)

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I keep watching for this to all of a sudden say it's an option for a JL or JT.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/arb-traction-pack-117-117KIT2.html

$2k for front/rear lockers for Dana 44 axle + onboard air (for the lockers, but then having the benefit of being there for airing up on the trail.)
I hear you on that "wish" ! But the reality of it . . . adds another big-$2K to the already growing Numbers ! Worth it ? No sense wondering till the option is "real" ? Perhaps other 3rd parties are working on this -- If we Grip enough about the Lack-Of in the Max Tow then perhaps ? That goes for JEEP too - I don't think it's too far fetched for a reconsideration seeing as how not everyone who can (barely) even afford a Sport S, can also add-on another 2-Grand for some better Off Road Ability "Out of the Box" (factory fresh) .
ALSO . . . within the hour I once again successfully built my Sport S With Max AND Locking Rear Diff Options, along with most of the other options - this time I added the upgraded stereo for a whopping S$$ 47,900 - Ouch ! :( And I still want to add (for simplicities sake) probably, the HD Mopar slider step . Anyone looking for some "cool" patio furniture, I'll probably have the rear seats for sale ! :clap:
AND Full Disclosure -- the local dealer has reduced their JT count by 2 (5-2=3) and I no longer see that ONE Sport S that had the Max + the Locker . . . . was I hallucinating ?
@JeepCares -- you need to chime in on this apparently real controversy . . . Sport S JT with Max Tow AND Rear Locker Options ? On line it CAN be done . . . what about at any dealership ? ? ?

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I think it's pretty obvious that the online build and price tool simply has an error. It's always got errors. That's why they change it weekly.

It makes perfect sense why you can't get Trac-Lok with the Max Towing package. Those wide track HD axles were designed for the Tru-Lok differentials in the Rubicon. They were never really meant to have standard Trac-Lok clutch-style limited slip units in them.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
WX dude, I would suggest Jeep just doesn't have a Track-lock unit avail for that axle and to source one is/was not cost effective for the low expected sales volume. Or the option price to consumer would be ludicrous ~ say $1195 compared to $595 for the standard axle Track-lock - who knows.....

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
While I can offer no reason, I was just looking at the order sheets and it shows that Trac-Lok is NOT available with Max-Tow. While it might work on the jeep.com site, it wouldn't work on an order sheet.

ANTI-SPIN DIFFERENTIAL REAR AXLE N/A W/AJQ
DSA N/A 23S​

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think it's pretty obvious that the online build and price tool simply has an error. It's always got errors. That's why they change it weekly.

It makes perfect sense why you can't get Trac-Lok with the Max Towing package. Those wide track HD axles were designed for the Tru-Lok differentials in the Rubicon. They were never really meant to have standard Trac-Lok clutch-style limited slip units in them.
I hear ya, I hear ya . . . but an error gone on for weeks is . . . odd ? Is NO ONE at Jeep or jeep cares paying attention ?
I'd still like to see the Option of "any" Mopar Rear Locker (sure it need not be the Rubi's rear locker, and I'm not insisting on a front one as well . Just a Xmas Wish List Item . . . perhaps after market ?

Last edited:

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I hear ya, I hear ya . . . but an error gone on for weeks is . . . odd ? Is NO ONE at Jeep 9or jeep cares paying attention ?
I'd still like to see the Option of "any" Mopar Rear Locker (sure it need not be the Rubi's rear locker, and I'm not insisting on a front one as well . Just a Xmas Wish List Item . . . perhaps after market ?
I would prefer they provide a locking option of some sort, going aftermarket isn't something I could easily do in my driveway (or would want to try) so it'd be expensive... more than the $595 to add Trac-lok on a normal rear axle. Honestly, with the inability to add trac-lok in a Sport S Max-Tow... I'm back on the fence about a base model Rubicon.
Sponsored