Sponsored

Ceramic Coating and Alternatives

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
If you want help with cups and scratches beyond swirls, you want clear bra.
Yep I've been looking into clear bra. I don't know if it's better than a wrap at protecting the paint from offroading with rocks and shrubbery brushing up against the Jeep. I worry about pinstripes... What's everyone's thoughts on the matter?
Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Yep I've been looking into clear bra. I don't know if it's better than a wrap at protecting the paint from offroading with rocks and shrubbery brushing up against the Jeep. I worry about pinstripes... What's everyone's thoughts on the matter?
They’re both gonna scratch at some point. Clear bra is significantly thicker and gonna be a lot more rock proof. If I wasn’t wrapping mine in company logos, I’d be doing stealth clear bra to get a matte finish

MustangSally74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland Ed.
Occupation
Aviation Maintenance Officer
My last vehicle (2015 LexusGS) I had paint corrected and ceramic’d at a professional installer. It was wheels off, did the rims, wells, brakes, treated the lenses and glass and interior. Warranty was 2 years. $1,500. The finish held up till I sold it (over 3 years) and it was mostly garaged and driven daily.

The dealer I just purchased my JT from sold me paint correction (perfection) and ceramic, dual layer undercoating, interior McKinley leather protection package, and three-layer ceramic tint package for $1,500. Warranted for lifetime of the vehicle, nationwide. I’ve never really been sold on interior or undercoating but it didn’t change the cost to not get them so I just got them too. Goes in next Wednesday for everything.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
My last vehicle (2015 LexusGS) I had paint corrected and ceramic’d at a professional installer. It was wheels off, did the rims, wells, brakes, treated the lenses and glass and interior. Warranty was 2 years. $1,500. The finish held up till I sold it (over 3 years) and it was mostly garaged and driven daily.

The dealer I just purchased my JT from sold me paint correction (perfection) and ceramic, dual layer undercoating, interior McKinley leather protection package, and three-layer ceramic tint package for $1,500. Warranted for lifetime of the vehicle, nationwide. I’ve never really been sold on interior or undercoating but it didn’t change the cost to not get them so I just got them too. Goes in next Wednesday for everything.
Sounds like a steal!

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
They’re both gonna scratch at some point. Clear bra is significantly thicker and gonna be a lot more rock proof. If I wasn’t wrapping mine in company logos, I’d be doing stealth clear bra to get a matte finish
I was just reading that some folks get the clear bra and then add the ceramic on top of it. Probably not cheap, but the best of both worlds.

Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
I was just reading that some folks get the clear bra and then add the ceramic on top of it. Probably not cheap, but the best of both worlds.

I had that done on my model 3 but I think it’s overkill on a Jeep. My car was $7k for paint correction, 10 year clear bra and 8 year warranty ceramic. The same shop told me it would run more than that for the gladiator

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had that done on my model 3 but I think it’s overkill on a Jeep. My car was $7k for paint correction, 10 year clear bra and 8 year warranty ceramic. The same shop told me it would run more than that for the gladiator
Wow that's a lot... No free lunch these days!

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if it would make as big of difference if you only apply the bra to the key areas of abuse vs the entire vehicle?

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
I wonder if it would make as big of difference if you only apply the bra to the key areas of abuse vs the entire vehicle?
I guess that’s relative to what you consider the key areas. Someone on here posted a thread on wrapping his Jeep he’s gonna know more than me. I’ll see if I can find it

MustangSally74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland Ed.
Occupation
Aviation Maintenance Officer
The installer I go to here in Virginia Beach does lots of partial installs on 3m films. I see a lot of cars just get the front clip (bumper, hood, front fenders) and then multiple coats of CQuartz Finest of Gyeon MOHs etc...damn expensive for those films...

Sponsored

OP
OP
rvillano8188

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
If you want help with cups and scratches beyond swirls, you want clear bra.
usually I always stuck to clay bar and gloss. I saw a Rubi yesterday with the Ceramic, and while it looked great on the wheels, I couldn't notice a big difference on the body (it was white so maybe that had something to do with it)

jncomatrix

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR LE Black, 1996 XJ 4.0 5.5" long arm, 2003 Matrix XRS,
Occupation
Commercial Vehicle Director
Just completed the gtechniq crystal serum ultra on the exterior and the wheels. Professionally done by a shop.

received_931448580530612.jpeg

received_2330808020569448.jpeg

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, E36 BMW M3, E92 BMW M3
I did a full write up of the ceramic coating process I had done to my Gladiator Rubicon here...I need to post a video of water beading off the truck, it’s insane. I’m a month in and have zero regrets! Find a reputable shop, then talk to/see/feel customer vehicles who have had their vehicle done at that shop. You want to find one of these shops where the guys applying it have actually gone offsite for training. Also...Make sure the shop does paint correction prior to ceramic coating.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...headed-to-buy-it-now.17569/page-2#post-268699
So am I correct that with the coating you have, you don’t have to wax it for 3 years? Only wash it and it will always bead the water like that? If so. Worth every penny of the $600 you paid and I will he getting it as well

WakesurfVT

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 Centurion Enzo SV233
Occupation
Director of Inside Sales
So am I correct that with the coating you have, you don’t have to wax it for 3 years? Only wash it and it will always bead the water like that? If so. Worth every penny of the $600 you paid and I will he getting it as well
Depending on the quality/level of application you get, yes. I’m expecting I’ll have to get some sort of “refresh” after a year or two and my detailer also gave me a bottle of liquid/spray wax for touch ups. I’m curious to see how the ceramic coating lasts through a cold/salty/sandy VT winter?!

Last edited:

Dave S

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport s
Occupation
Sales Manager
Hydro Silex. Used it on other vehicle and did one cost on Gladiator

great part is you can use on plastics and glass