Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
The Gladiator EcoDiesel was recently spotted testing in Moab! A member of sister site JLwranglerforums spotted an EcoDiesel Gladiator and two EcoDiesel Wranglers refueling at a gas station in Moab.

When a test driver was asked what they were up to, they shared that the vehicles were undergoing Ecodiesel heat and vibration testing.

It’s been nearly two years since the diesel JL Wrangler was first promised by Mike Manley during the JL’s debut at the 2017 LA Auto Show, but if this recent report is true, the diesel JL may be available by the end of the year (pending the CARB certification by California). The diesel JT Gladiator likely wouldn't be far behind...

Jeep-JL-Wrangler-JT-Gladiator-Diesel2-780x405.jpg
Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Diesel1.jpg
Sponsored

Jeep Rigg

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT-RU Sting Gray, 2014 Toyota 4-Runner
Pros: slightly better gas mileage

Cons: tow less, higher fuel costs, wrong power delivery for crawling

I'll stick to my gasser

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel

I'll stick to my gasser
I thought you wanted low rpm power for crawling?
Yeah gets better MPG so fuel cost is lower and has more TQ in lower RPM range which is what is needed, so don't get the comments either....

Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure

I'll stick to my gasser

I’d love to see someone explain to me how 390ftlb of torque to the ground at 1600 rpm is wrong for crawling.

As far as mileage, talk to GDE. They’ve got guys in rams on 37s getting 29mpg highway. MAYBE the 3.6 will get you 17. As far as towing, pulling north of 5000 lbs on a JT is for the very brave or novice tow-r. Same thing with crossing over 9500 in a half ton. Sure it can, no you shouldn’t.

E3E1680A-4146-41E7-A6FD-585BBA3BBCEF.png

Last edited:

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
how do these curves compare to the manual?

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I’d love to see someone explain to me how 390ftlb of torque to the ground at 1600 rpm is wrong for crawling.

As far as mileage, talk to GDE. They’ve got guys in rams on 37s getting 29mpg highway. MAYBE the 3.6 will get you 17. As far as towing, pulling north of 5000 lbs on a JT is for the very brave or novice tower. Same thing will crossing over 9500 ina half ton. Sure it can, no you shouldn’t.

I really doubt those Ram guys are truelly getting 29 MPG with 37"s. My WK2 with GDE tune, 32" tires, a fairly areodynamic roof rack and steel bumper went from 29 mpg highway to 23. The diesel took the hit worse than I thought it would. But around town I still get 19. That stayed the same. But the diesel doesn't seem to retain it's MPG with mods at highway speeds like it does around town. Which makes since with its torque curve.
Most of the RAM guys drop to about the same on 35-37s"

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I really doubt those Ram guys are truelly getting 29 MPG with 37"s. My WK2 with GDE tune, 32" tires, a fairly areodynamic roof rack and steel bumper went from 29 mpg highway to 23. The diesel took the hit worse than I thought it would. But around town I still get 19. That stayed the same. But the diesel doesn't seem to retain it's MPG with mods at highway speeds like it does around town. Which makes since with its torque curve.
Most of the RAM guys drop to about the same on 35-37s"

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
He needs to do a hand calc. The GDE tune is optimistic in the EVIC. That is nice, but those were my tuned pre bumper/rack/tire numbers in a lighter more aerodynamic jeep grand cherokee.
I got about 12 pulling a 5-6k travel trailer.
Again not the same vehicle, but same engine.

Sponsored

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Diesel. Toyota 4Runner
As far as mileage I to have seen numerous posts of users getting calculated economy from the diesel int he low to mid 30s modified vehicles. The most reports where from the gme tune using the ram 1500 eco diesel. With no felt lag, better mileage, more power and a good amount of torque. This is definitely the way that we have been leaning for our whole project since it’s inception.

Our main concern as per green Diesel engineering and others. Low sulfur fuel availability can be difficult when you get south of Mexico. Some estimate difficult in Mexico. But users report otherwise, as well as reports from Distibutors for last for diesel in Mexico. Either way it’s bad for the emissions. There are options with tune but even bode said tune would be at least 12months out after the release. Which, would negate the actual savings and tru fans from a tune out an extra year from release and if you plan on going south of the border. You’ll need good fuel storage for sure. At most you may end up needing to repair or replace some parts in the exhaust after an extended trip. This is something myself I am still learning. I don’t have a lot of experience with newer LSD engines.

Jeep Rigg

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT-RU Sting Gray, 2014 Toyota 4-Runner

As far as mileage, talk to GDE. They’ve got guys in rams on 37s getting 29mpg highway. MAYBE the 3.6 will get you 17. As far as towing, pulling north of 5000 lbs on a JT is for the very brave or novice tower. Same thing will crossing over 9500 ina half ton. Sure it can, no you shouldn’t.

Tru dat. Maybe power delivery was the wrong term. When we atv'ed Moab years ago, to me short fast burbs with instant response was what the crawlers needed to get through some of the terrain. I agree diesels have more power, imo I just think gasses would be better at some of the terrain I have seen crawlers attack...ie Moab, back side of Vail ski resort, large Mall Parking curbs anywhere.

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I liked my ecodiesel, But again I found it odd even with the GDE tune, I am getting 23/24 mpg in a Grand Cherokee with only 1 inch bigger than stock tires, a steel bumper and a gobi roof rack. Stock I got 28-29mpg.
Maybe it's just a Grand Cherokee thing or maybe its just MY Jeep. Maybe the RAMs have entirely different transmission tunes.
As far as lag goes, I can only comment what I've noticed. The lag was improved with the GDE tune, but still noticeable and present. Last year in Colorado it had trouble finding a good gear in 4 low in some of the passes and turbo lag was very noticeable while crawling. It'd crawl along then start to stall, so gentle pedal pressure applied, then the trubo would kick in and then all power came. It would lurch forward.
I love the torque when it kicks in and the diesel sound. I hate the regens and fear of other emissions system failure. So I'm still partially on the fence myself. But What I;ve been reading about the Gen 3 ecodiesel is promising.

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The Gladiator EcoDiesel was recently spotted testing in Moab! A member of sister site JLwranglerforums spotted an EcoDiesel Gladiator and two EcoDiesel Wranglers refueling at a gas station in Moab.

Okay, so now everyone has seen the specs for the new Ecodiesel that just came out in the Ram 1500. My question is, is this going to be the same Ecodiesel they are going to put in the Gladiator and if so do you think the spec (torque to be more specific) will change or stay the same? All thoughts prior to the 1500 coming out was that this was going to be the same Ecodiesel thay had three years ago? Any thoughts? Oh and do you think the town rating we actually go down now that we have more information about the new Ecodiesel? Just curious to what the Jeep community is thinking.

When a test driver was asked what they were up to, they shared that the vehicles were undergoing Ecodiesel heat and vibration testing.

It’s been nearly two years since the diesel JL Wrangler was first promised by Mike Manley during the JL’s debut at the 2017 LA Auto Show, but if this recent report is true, the diesel JL may be available by the end of the year (pending the CARB certification by California). The diesel JT Gladiator likely wouldn't be far behind...

Jeep-JL-Wrangler-JT-Gladiator-Diesel2-780x405.jpg
Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Diesel1.jpg

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Okay, so now everyone has seen the specs for the new Ecodiesel that just came out in the Ram 1500. My question is, is this going to be the same Ecodiesel they are going to put in the Gladiator and if so do you think the spec (torque to be more specific) will change or stay the same? All thoughts prior to the 1500 coming out was that this was going to be the same Ecodiesel thay had three years ago? Any thoughts? Oh and do you think the town rating we actually go down now that we have more information about the new Ecodiesel? Just curious to what the Jeep community is thinking.
Sponsored