Sponsored

Gladiator Q4 2019 sales numbers out - thoughts?

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,
I see 4 other Jt's driving around my neighborhood/town area, literally 3 Jt's at one intersection one time! It's definitely a middle class suburban dad kind of truck.
Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
It's definitely a middle class suburban dad kind of truck.
I was going to say that doesn't apply to me (being neither a parent nor even middle-class) but then I remembered I have a 2 month old and started my first job that puts me in that category. And then I saw I had the "bod" to go with it :(

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,
I was going to say that doesn't apply to me (being neither a parent nor even middle-class) but then I remembered I have a 2 month old and started my first job that puts me in that category. And then I saw I had the "bod" to go with it :(
Same here, Im not even a dad, but I have the bod!

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
In the past, I've had:

2 Ford Rangers
1 Nissan Frontier
3 Ford F-150s
2 Chevy Silverado/K1500s
2 Ram 1500s

Tonight I used my father's 2017 GMC Sierra 3500HD with the Duramax diesel to haul a couple of church pews. Yes, that 900+ lbs/ft of torque was N I C E but otherwise it solidified in my mind that I do not ever want a 2500 or 3500 pickup as a daily driver, and maybe not even a 1500 again. By the end of the drive I actually missed my Gladiator. Comparitively, full size trucks are clumsy, awkward, and harder to drive and park in town. I couldn't hardly see over the hood. There was no where to rest my left foot. The transmission kept jerking like it was trying to decide whether to lock or unlock the torque converter. The suspension feels like it's not up to the task of handling all that weight, giving a choppy ride. It was just not pleasant at all.

I mean, if you're towing 5-10 tons then that's the truck you must buy. But otherwise the mid size segment is where it's at. That's just the best way to go. And in the mid size segment the Gladiator outclasses the competition in most categories including build strength and quality. FCA missed the boat with their marketing. They should have been touting this as a TRUCK all along. Anybody with eyes can look at it and see that it's a Jeep. Advertising should have focused on it's capability as a truck.

wch_Chip

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
In the past, I've had:

2 Ford Rangers
1 Nissan Frontier
3 Ford F-150s
2 Chevy Silverado/K1500s
2 Ram 1500s

Tonight I used my father's 2017 GMC Sierra 3500HD with the Duramax diesel to haul a couple of church pews. Yes, that 900+ lbs/ft of torque was N I C E but otherwise it solidified in my mind that I do not ever want a 2500 or 3500 pickup as a daily driver, and maybe not even a 1500 again. By the end of the drive I actually missed my Gladiator. Comparitively, full size trucks are clumsy, awkward, and harder to drive and park in town. I couldn't hardly see over the hood. There was no where to rest my left foot. The transmission kept jerking like it was trying to decide whether to lock or unlock the torque converter. The suspension feels like it's not up to the task of handling all that weight, giving a choppy ride. It was just not pleasant at all.

I mean, if you're towing 5-10 tons then that's the truck you must buy. But otherwise the mid size segment is where it's at. That's just the best way to go. And in the mid size segment the Gladiator outclasses the competition in most categories including build strength and quality. FCA missed the boat with their marketing. They should have been touting this as a TRUCK all along. Anybody with eyes can look at it and see that it's a Jeep. Advertising should have focused on it's capability as a truck.
I agree 100%. While I liked the commercial I already own the truck. They need to show it doing truck stuff and compare it to the competition. The fact that it's a Jeep means it has the fun factor. Show the potential buyer the truck factor.

Sponsored

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
I need/want a truck, need it by September-kid taking my car to college. Test drove a JTR and the steering was very loose, so I drove an Overland, and the steering was also very loose. Salesperson said they were all like that, so I decided to wait a while while this gets sorted out. I drove a 1984 Samurai for four years while in college, the steering was awesome. Been looking around for another JT with the options I want to test drive, I'll not order, because of the steering issue, I want to make sure its good to go before I buy it. Maybe the steering issue is holding others back. I'll get one, its just a matter of finding one with the options I want and good steering.

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I need/want a truck, need it by September-kid taking my car to college. Test drove a JTR and the steering was very loose, so I drove an Overland, and the steering was also very loose. Salesperson said they were all like that, so I decided to wait a while while this gets sorted out. I drove a 1984 Samurai for four years while in college, the steering was awesome. Been looking around for another JT with the options I want to test drive, I'll not order, because of the steering issue, I want to make sure its good to go before I buy it. Maybe the steering issue is holding others back. I'll get one, its just a matter of finding one with the options I want and good steering.
Not to derail the thread, but I’ve also noticed my Overland steering is quite loose. The “deadzone” is pretty big. I figured it was a Jeep thing. I took an hour drive north on some backroads and it wasn’t really an issue. It wasn’t enough to deter me from buying it, but if I did a lot of xway driving, I could see it being an issue. Of course, if I did a lot of xway driving, I probably wouldn’t have bought a Jeep lol.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I think Jeep is responding to the pricing with the new value packages they are rolling out on the Sport and Overland, seems like about a 2k savings. I like the new Mojave but I think some sort of rancher/explorer package (Scrambler?) where they put Rubicon tires, rear locker, 4.10 gears, 1” lift, payload package, better shocks, cloth seat with rear armrest/heavy duty material and cargo utility package for bed racks (kayak, gear,RTT) under 40k MSRP would generate some interest.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I think Jeep is responding to the pricing with the new value packages they are rolling out on the Sport and Overland, seems like about a 2k savings. I like the new Mojave but I think some sort of rancher/explorer package (Scrambler?) where they put Rubicon tires, rear locker, 4.10 gears, 1” lift, payload package, better shocks, cloth seat with rear armrest/heavy duty material and cargo utility package for bed racks (kayak, gear,RTT) under 40k MSRP would generate some interest.
Now that I like

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
You basically want a Rubicon, minus front locker, plus cargo rack and other stuff for less than a Rubicon.

Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
You basically want a Rubicon, minus front locker, plus cargo rack and other stuff for less than a Rubicon.
yes, the rack would be aftermarket. Want the rails. Don’t expect the disconnecting sway bars (better transfer case, suspension) that is part of what makes a Rubi a Rubi. I think it is ludicrous that the Sport S package with max tow has a crap radio and worthless rims that you can barely get $25 a piece for, no garage opener (conv package), no trailer brake, no LEDs, and no advanced safety equipment as standard options Almost all those features are standard (led headlights are $400) on the midsize sales leader Tacoma (Off Road/sport) plus you get power seats. That is why the JT is not taking more of the mid-size market share with a wonderful truck.
FCAs intent with the Gladiator to bring buyers to the brand, not to take buyers from other products in their brand. To do this, FCA has to offer value to bring mid-size truck buyers from Ford, Nissan, Chevrolet, and Toyota. If they don’t, they will piddle along at between 30 and 50k units a year.

Last edited:

Mastiff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK Rubicon
Interesting thread, though I did not read all of it. I was wondering if the JT was tanking, since I see almost none in my City. I'd like one, but the price is too high. All said and done, the dealer wanted my 2011 Rubicon + $30K for a JT Sport (not S) with max tow and a lift. Just too much and I punted on the deal.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
yes, the rack would be aftermarket. Want the rails. Don’t expect the disconnecting sway bars (better transfer case, suspension) that is part of what makes a Rubi a Rubi. I think it is ludicrous that the Sport S package with max tow has a crap radio and worthless rims that you can barely get $25 a piece for, no garage opener (conv package), no trailer brake, no LEDs, and no advanced safety equipment as standard options Almost all those features are standard (led headlights are $400) on the midsize sales leader Tacoma (Off Road/sport) plus you get power seats. That is why the JT is not taking more of the mid-size market share with a wonderful truck.
FCAs intent with the Gladiator to bring buyers to the brand, not to take buyers from other products in their brand. To do this, FCA has to offer value to bring mid-size truck buyers from Ford, Nissan, Chevrolet, and Toyota. If they don’t, they will piddle along at between 30 and 50k units a year.
All brands make compromises when it comes to equipping their model trims with a "good, better and best" model trim layout. But you are right, FCA is not directly chasing or expecting to poach the mid truck size market share and they are basically treating the Gladiator like the Wrangler as being in a model class of their own.

Gladiator JT as is also the Wrangler JL, are more lifestyle vehicles. They followed the same page that most other makers do in that the first few months of a new model launch, it is all about the high option, high trim models like the Rubicon and lower models are discouraged being built out and sold. Eventually the dust settles and once the new adopter sales rush is over, they adjust the models and marketing offers with the incentives and option packages as they are now doing to add value and increase sales.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I would say that if Fiat models don't start selling at a slightly higher rate, something is going to get sold off. a 50% decline over the previous year? ugh.

wv_gladiator

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jt rubicon diesel
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
So 4th quarter 2019 sales figures were just published this morning. Jeep sold 16,663 Gladiators in q4, bringing the total to 40,047 for 2019.

Wondering if most think that is successful or not?

Here are my (mostly uneducated) thoughts:

I expected higher q4 numbers for a few reasons. Color availability of gobi, gator and hydro blue, as well as seeing dealer discounts on Rubicons of up to $6500 locally, and robust inventories on lots in general.

Q3 sales were very similar- just over 16k. If this trend holds it would mean full yearly sales of 65k or so. I have to believe that is well below Jeeps expectations for the Gladiator. For some perspective 52k wranglers were sold q4.

So what does everyone think- is the Gladiator selling as or better than expected- or is this starting to look like a flop?

PRESS RELEASE

FCA US Reports Fourth-quarter and Full-year 2019 Sales

• Ram brand reports record fourth-quarter and full-year sales
  • Jeep® Wrangler achieves record fourth-quarter sales of more than 52,012 vehicles
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee notches record full-year sales of 242,969 vehicles
  • Dodge Charger reports record fourth-quarter and full-year sales
January 3, 2020 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC closed the fourth quarter and 2019 with a handful of records as America’s love of capability, power and speed pushed Ram, Dodge and Jeep® to new sales levels.

Topping the year were the successful launches of the redesigned Ram Heavy Duty pickup trucks and the Jeep Gladiator. The Gladiator finished 2019 with 40,047 vehicle sales following its May debut.

U.S. sales for the fourth quarter were 542,519 vehicles, down 2 percent, while sales for the year were down 1 percent at 2,203,663 vehicles. Retail sales were 419,273 vehicles for the quarter. Fleet accounted for 22.7 percent of total sales.

The Ram brand led the portfolio with record-setting sales of 190,655 for the quarter and 703,023 vehicles for the year – an 18 percent increase over 2018. It was the highest level of sales since Ram became a standalone brand in 2009.

Jeep Wrangler, which notched a variety of records throughout the year, reported its highest fourth quarter with sales of 52,012 vehicles. Grand Cherokee reported a full-year record with sales of 242,969 vehicles.

Dodge also bucked the trend in passenger cars by turning in one of its strongest years as the Charger notched record sales of 25,829 vehicles for the quarter and 96,935 vehicles for the year. Dodge muscle cars Charger and Challenger combined sales in the second half were a record 84,216 vehicles.

“Our dealers did an outstanding job in 2019, not only with meeting consumer demand, but also handling the introduction of the redesigned Ram Heavy Duty and new Jeep Gladiator,” said Reid Bigland, Head of U.S. Sales. “We have read the expectations that sales may slow a bit in 2020. However, we believe there is still plenty of demand in the market and we are ready for a new year.”

jeep-sales-q4-2019-png.png
Vehicles are just getting way to expensive imo.
Sponsored