What to buy Mojave or Rubicon?

calicorks

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
I’ve had my heart set on an almost loaded Rubicon diesel with just about everything except the extra safety stuff, and bed liner. Was planning on doing 37inch tires, and a 3 inch lift. I also wanted to add a winch to my steel bumper.

I’m not interested in hard core rock climbing but I want a capable truck that can go off the beaten path and not worry at all if my truck will make it. And going in snow is important too. We like to go camping, drive in harsh snow conditions to go snowboarding. I don’t own anything to tow. The Rubicon is more than capable and I like the option that if I was going to go up a trail with rocks, I’m good.

Now that Jeep is bringing out the Mojave I’m doing some comparisons for my personal needs. I love going fast, and I actually live in the desert for now. I’m leaning towards the Mojave as going fast in a desert setting is appealing. I have a muscle car now and love how fast it goes. When I drove a Gladiator it felt too slow. The diesel will definitely feel stronger with the extra torque and have better gas mileage.

My concern is, do you guys think the Mojave is just as good as the Rubicon in snow? I know I can’t add the steel bumper, or winch (I mean I can but Jeep said they didn’t because of too much weight). I’m also concerned about adding any lifts due to the Mojave is set up well the way it is for extreme speeds (drools). Are any of you guys doing a lift on Mojave, if so what’s it going to do to performance?

This thread was not set up to ask witch is the better set up, Sport max tow, vs Rubicon, vs Mojave. They are all built to do something specific so I don’t care to have a debate over what’s better, save that for another thread.

Any input is helpful. One thing for sure, I will have a Gladiator!
Sponsored

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
If you’re planning on lifting it, why buy the Mojave with its specific suspension? I think I’d rather buy the Rubicon to get the sway bar disconnect (which should have been included for a solid front axle vehicle that’s trying to play in an IFS world). Short of the interior and other aesthetic items, you’d ultimately be buying the Mojave for the reinforced frame and beefy knuckles if you’re changing the suspension. I think you get a lot more with the Rubicon.

Alternatively if you’re planning on changing things around and don’t want the sway bar disconnects, sway bars, rock sliders, front lockers, steeper transfer case, yadda yadda... Why not get a Max Tow Sport and build yours from there? Of course I’m saying all this with no idea on the Mojave’s price point and only anticipating it to be in line(ish) with the Rubicon.

OP
OP
calicorks

calicorks

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
If you’re planning on lifting it, why buy the Mojave with its specific suspension? I think I’d rather buy the Rubicon to get the sway bar disconnect (which should have been included for a solid front axle vehicle that’s trying to play in an IFS world). Short of the interior and other aesthetic items, you’d ultimately be buying the Mojave for the reinforced frame and beefy knuckles if you’re changing the suspension. I think you get a lot more with the Rubicon.

Alternatively if you’re planning on changing things around and don’t want the sway bar disconnects, sway bars, rock sliders, front lockers, steeper transfer case, yadda yadda... Why not get a Max Tow Sport and build yours from there? Of course I’m saying all this with no idea on the Mojave’s price point and only anticipating it to be in line(ish) with the Rubicon.
I was planning on lifting it because it’s more capable and looks better. The Mojave I would think is best in its stock form. I like that it already has a slight lift.
My biggest concern is if the Mojave is as capable off roading as the Rubicon? Obviously they both specialize in different things. I don’t care to rock climb. I think the Mojave would be perfect for me, I’m just wondering if I’ll be missing out on anything other than rock climbing. I want to drive off road Hard, camping, and most importantly drive in the snow and not worry. A winch so I don’t get stuck (I know a winch isn’t for desert really).

no offense to the Sports, but it’s either Rubicon or Mojave for me. If the Mojave is a lot more $$ than Rubicon it is. I think they will be priced fairly close.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
I was planning on lifting it because it’s more capable and looks better. The Mojave I would think is best in its stock form. I like that it already has a slight lift.
My biggest concern is if the Mojave is as capable off roading as the Rubicon? Obviously they both specialize in different things. I don’t care to rock climb. I think the Mojave would be perfect for me, I’m just wondering if I’ll be missing out on anything other than rock climbing. I want to drive off road Hard, camping, and most importantly drive in the snow and not worry. A winch so I don’t get stuck (I know a winch isn’t for desert really).

no offense to the Sports, but it’s either Rubicon or Mojave for me. If the Mojave is a lot more $$ than Rubicon it is. I think they will be priced fairly close.
I think that is my approach as well. Don’t get me wrong, the thing will be stupid capable. I just like redundancies. Why only have a rear locker when you can have a front, too? If you plan to change out the suspension, then you’re removing its top party trick and the truck doesn’t seem to have that much appeal. If they’re similarly priced and you’re changing out the suspension, I feel you get more for your money on the Rubicon with more of a base. Lockers at speed can be done with a $300 Tazer.

But as many have said, there is no right answer. Only you know your needs.

OP
OP
calicorks

calicorks

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
I think that is my approach as well. Don’t get me wrong, the thing will be stupid capable. I just like redundancies. Why only have a rear locker when you can have a front, too? If you plan to change out the suspension, then you’re removing its top party trick and the truck doesn’t seem to have that much appeal. If they’re similarly priced and you’re changing out the suspension, I feel you get more for your money on the Rubicon with more of a base. Lockers at speed can be done with a $300 Tazer.

But as many have said, there is no right answer. Only you know your needs.
Definitely good advice, thank you. In more time I’ll do more research but yes I agree not to touch the suspension on the Mojave.

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I love the Mojave, but, I have the Rubicon JT now and I love it also..... Bottom- line, the Rubicon is better in extremely tough, slow going, terrain --- rocks, mud, climbing, snow.... I have wheeled my Rubicon JT in all these terrains.... In the mud, I really appreciated the front lockers.... In the really tough terrain with rocks and climbs, I really loved the sway bar disconnect, it makes a big difference...
I also like the dunes, and at Pismo, I bottomed out the front shocks a few times going too fast, and I used 4WH the whole time, 4WL was too low ...., so, the Mojave would have been better at Pismo for sure...
Since I insist on the manual transmission, I still prefer the 4:1 transfer case, because it almost takes the clutch out of the equation.
I guess, If you are worried about getting stuck in the middle of nowhere, get the Rubicon; If you want to go faster at Pismo, get the Mohave.

Either way, great choices, I probably would have still bought the Rubicon because my other 4WD, an FJ62, does not have lockers, nor the sway bar disconnect, and I have always wanted those features. I also wanted to try the 4:1 transfer case with the manual transmission. I have never had a transfer case lower than approx. 2:5 to 1, so, I thought it would be cool to try it and compare it to my FJ62.

Last edited:

Sallaman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
I think both Mojave and the rubicon are awesome and you'll be happy with either. IMO If they were both priced the exact same then the rubicon would be a better buy. It would be easier to upgrade the suspension to match the mojave then upgrade the axles and sway Bar disconnect to match the rubi.. plus if deep snow is a factor 4 tires turning are better than 3

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
In this article, Jeep Gladiator Brand Manager Brandon Girmus said the Mojave is just as trail capable as the Rubicon:
"You'd want a Desert Rated Jeep for the desert, but this can do phenomenally well on a trail too. It can still do the Rubicon [Trail], it can still manage 30 inches of water fording. It's gonna be very off-road capable in pretty much any trail situation."

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
In this article, Jeep Gladiator Brand Manager Brandon Girmus said the Mojave is just as trail capable as the Rubicon:
"You'd want a Desert Rated Jeep for the desert, but this can do phenomenally well on a trail too. It can still do the Rubicon [Trail], it can still manage 30 inches of water fording. It's gonna be very off-road capable in pretty much any trail situation."
$100 says Brandon Girmus has never driven off road other than some piles of dirt they hauled into the corporate yard and set up a course for executives to experience their product on.

It would take a full on idiot to tell you much less believe, that a vehicle without a front locker, a vehicle without a dis-connectable sway bar and a vehicle with 30% less gear reduction will go the same places an otherwise identical vehicle will go.

He is either being misquoted or he's completely unaware of real world use of his products.

ETA: and all of that is before you consider the compromises found in the Gladiators wheel base.

Sponsored

MMMII

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR - 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Redfin - Real Estate Consultant
Same debate going on here BUT I’m leaning Rubicon. IMO I’m not going to be putting enough stress on the frame to warrant the extra beefiness of the Mojave frame and I foresee my suspension changes eliminating what the Mojave brings to the table.

That Mojave hood though! Why do I want a Knight Rider style LED in there real bad?

Tacoman03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bright White JT Gladiator Rubicon; 2018 Range Rover Velar; 2017 Jaguar F Pace
Vehicle Showcase
I am with you on the hood, but I am really digging the light grey leather! I hate, hate black leather!
Same debate going on here BUT I’m leaning Rubicon. IMO I’m not going to be putting enough stress on the frame to warrant the extra beefiness of the Mojave frame and I foresee my suspension changes eliminating what the Mojave brings to the table.

That Mojave hood though! Why do I want a Knight Rider style LED in there real bad?

OP
OP
calicorks

calicorks

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
The Rubicon still sounds good, but so dose the Mojave. I’m glad I’m not ready to buy yet, I want to see the price on the Mojave, that could make things easier.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager

The Mojave will not be as good for rock crawling, specifically, as the Rubicon. It'll be every bit as capable as every other Gladiator and that means it'll do fine in 90% of the offroading most people would do. You have the rear locker which some (including myself) would argue is all you need for most offroading even rock crawling.

If I were to buy the Mojave I would not spend money lifting it, nor adding bigger tires. I'd go with pretty much exactly what they've included... if I feel the need to get sway bar disconnects I can add them aftermarket, they won't be electronic, but that's fine with me. I definitely prefer the Mojave transfer case for most of MY needs (which sound similar to yours.) As it is, I was always leaning towards the Max Tow so I can make it my own... this just does a lot of what I was already planning to do. Now I wait to see the price for it and the additional price for the Diesel.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Rather you lift it or not will play a huge factor in what you should get. If you are set on running 37s (which are not needed for your stated use cases are), the Rubicon would be a better choice for you.

To me it sounds like you would be well served by the Mojave. If you don't have plans on becoming a rock crawler and you only plan to see normal snow conditions (as apposed to breaking trails in the snow), the Rubicon might not offer you that much compared to the Mojave.
Sponsored