Sponsored

Power Sliding Rear Window - It's possible!

Austingobi

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator S
There has to be something else that can be used to open faster and less noise. Let's keep thinking about it.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
There has to be something else that can be used to open faster and less noise. Let's keep thinking about it.
There are several posts on Toyota forums regarding power back window using Honda rear passenger window power units. And they move fast!
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/benwas-2005-power-sliding-rear-window-quick-install-kit.171805/
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/power-sliding-window-mod-info-thread.468695/
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/power-sliding-rear-window-install.589615/
https://www.ebay.com/p/1322988046?iid=202801254585

Austingobi

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator S
Great find. Its going to take a bit to get thru that thread from 2011....there's also another thread in there (at the end) that is more current. There is talk of about $400 worth of parts.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
It's funny we had a dodge ram 1500 rental for two weeks....it had a power sliding window. It worked about 5 times then the cable thingy broke and the cables wound up to the roof like snakes....

Your way is way...way...simpler smarter and obviously easier to service. With a ran 1500 you have to pull the seat back/upright and yank the whole back of the cab apart.

Your way is genius.

Sponsored

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
10 months and I never opened my rear slider a single time.

But yes, the ingenuity is amazing. Well done.
About the same situation for me, but if I could open/close from the driver seat, maybe would use the rear window more often. Since I can't, I would prefer a one-piece rear window that is easier to clean.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
The hardest part was figuring out how to transfer the power from the actuator to the window. I finally landed on using 1 inch extruded aluminum tubing in black (link below) which I attached to the actuator tabs using the supplied machine screws, and then used stainless wood screws to affix the top of the tubing to the large rubber square on the bottom right of the rear sliding window.
Great idea and post!

The only thing I am not sure of is the black square tubing. Is the short vertical piece with the screws the only place where that is used?

OP
OP

Upside47

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Great idea and post!

The only thing I am not sure of is the black square tubing. Is the short vertical piece with the screws the only place where that is used?
Yes, that's the only place I used the black tubing. I should also point out that the folks at Actuonix saw the video and recommended that I try the 64:1 instead of the 256:1 and sent me the unit. It works great, and is MUCH faster.
Great idea and post!

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I should also point out that the folks at Actuonix saw the video and recommended that I try the 64:1 instead of the 256:1 and sent me the unit. It works great, and is MUCH faster.
I was thinking of trying that one, so I am happy to learn it works. But I am wondering what led you to the Actuonix product? Searching eBay revealed many different linear actuators for sale.

Another question, the Actuonix site says it has limit switches. Were you able to incorporate them?

OP
OP

Upside47

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
I was thinking of trying that one, so I am happy to learn it works. But I am wondering what led you to the Actuonix product? Searching eBay revealed many different linear actuators for sale.

Another question, the Actuonix site says it has limit switches. Were you able to incorporate them?
I like that Actuonix had a sliding actuator versus a push rod version because the sliding seemed to be a better application for this. The unit is also very small, and I didn't want anything to interfere with the rear seats or hardtop removal etc. I watched a few youtube reviews, so I also know the quality to be good. I am sure there are other options, but I didn't see to many that had a small sliding version. The limit switches are built in so the unit will automatically stop when it reach either end.

Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I like that Actuonix had a sliding actuator versus a push rod version because the sliding seemed to be a better application for this. The unit is also very small, and I didn't want anything to interfere with the rear seats or hardtop removal etc. I watched a few youtube reviews, so I also know the quality to be good. I am sure there are other options, but I didn't see to many that had a small sliding version. The limit switches are built in so the unit will automatically stop when it reach either end.
OK, I'm sold, I am ordering one. As far as the switch, I thought about this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-RAM-Rear-Power-Window-Slider-Switch-NEW-OEM-MOPAR/153320572568
It is lighted, and has symbols for the actual function.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, that's the only place I used the black tubing. I should also point out that the folks at Actuonix saw the video and recommended that I try the 64:1 instead of the 256:1 and sent me the unit. It works great, and is MUCH faster.
Do you have a new video with the replacement unit? Thx.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Plumbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT MaxTow, 2015 Harley Triglide, GMC Terrain
Occupation
Plumber
What about a DEI power window module. They wouldn’t need a end switch because the DEI unit senses the window stop.
Sponsored