Sponsored

Bad steering box 68418449AE

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
We have $200 aftermarket brackets out there that I guess help fix this issue, but I have 350 miles on mine and shouldn't have to shell out $200 for an engineering goof?
I have one, it doesn't "fix" it. It seems to help a bit by supporting the other end of the sector shaft. But only a corrected steering box will actually fix it.
Sponsored

Gottype

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1973 Bronco, 1972 C-10
Welp, I got a 3rd new box on the way. Here’s how bad my luck is...now that the end of the world is starting, who tf knows when I can finally get this fixed once and for all.
How are you getting them replace your gear box, my dealer says mine is fine. Had it there 4 time. Thanks

OP
OP
Scrubb84

Scrubb84

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
How are you getting them replace your gear box, my dealer says mine is fine. Had it there 4 time. Thanks
Make an appt for the “over-center” check on the steering gear box specifically. Then they have no choice, it will fail the torque spec and the only option is to replace the box. I been trying to tell ppl this for a while now.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
They knew it was an issue on the JL, but still kept with it on the JT? That blows my mind. At any rate it's a matter of time before somebody dies because of this and sadly that's what it's going to take for them to address it. We have $200 aftermarket brackets out there that I guess help fix this issue, but I have 350 miles on mine and shouldn't have to shell out $200 for an engineering goof?
what bracket? Ive started to get random bump steering at around 17,000 miles. Already replaced the steering stabilizer and it did nothing to help.

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Make an appt for the “over-center” check on the steering gear box specifically.
Can you elaborate on this? What exactly would I make an appointment for?

Sponsored

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
No problem. I love how it sais adjustment is not possible, but in the pic it shows someone doing just that. ‍♂
It looks like they're taking measurements not adjusting.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Scrubb84

Scrubb84

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
This is what tightened up my steering. Night and day difference. It doesn’t look like Jeep is going to address it so this might be your best fix.

You are correct. Jeep will not fix the bad steering boxes. C19 or not. I’m on my 3rd bad steering box as of today. What gets me angry is how they flat out lied, and said we know about the problem & are working on a new/revised box. Bull $hit. They just say that so you’ll go away and stop complaining for a period of time.

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is what tightened up my steering. Night and day difference.
I have one of those and it did NOT fix my problem. My problem is clearly inside the steering box which this brace can not help. I have given up hope on Jeep and can ONLY hope one of the aftermarket steering companies will come out with a properly working box.

TJ Mitchell Films

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.YouTube.com
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubicon JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Welder
I have one of those and it did NOT fix my problem. My problem is clearly inside the steering box which this brace can not help. I have given up hope on Jeep and can ONLY hope one of the aftermarket steering companies will come out with a properly working box.
Interesting. You are the first person I have heard say that it didn’t make a difference for them. PSC offers kit that replaces the steering box with a traditional one with a belt driven pump.

I wouldn’t hold my breath for Jeep to actually fix it though. Not a good track record there.

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. You are the first person I have heard say that it didn’t make a difference for them.
It made a difference..but not nearly enough. Jeep still wanders all over the road. If there is enough play in the box, just supporting the sector shaft at the other end isn't going to fix gear play.

I've contacted PSC. So far the only have a JL kit. The JT is a slight bit different from what I understand. And yes...when PSC has a JT overlander kit available...I'll be one of the first ones purchasing it. Problem solved...and a proper beefy metal steering box to boot. I'll be leaving the support brace on as well.
Sponsored