Bad steering box 68418449AE

1. jrf

jrf Well-Known Member

First Name:
    J.R.
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I have one of those and it did NOT fix my problem. My problem is clearly inside the steering box which this brace can not help. I have given up hope on Jeep and can ONLY hope one of the aftermarket steering companies will come out with a properly working box.

Scrubb84 likes this.
  2. TJ Mitchell Films

TJ Mitchell Films Well-Known Member

First Name:
    TJ
    Vehicle(s):
    Red Rubicon JT
    Liked:
    Interesting. You are the first person I have heard say that it didn’t make a difference for them. PSC offers kit that replaces the steering box with a traditional one with a belt driven pump.

I wouldn’t hold my breath for Jeep to actually fix it though. Not a good track record there.

3. jrf

jrf Well-Known Member

First Name:
    J.R.
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    It made a difference..but not nearly enough. Jeep still wanders all over the road. If there is enough play in the box, just supporting the sector shaft at the other end isn't going to fix gear play.

I've contacted PSC. So far the only have a JL kit. The JT is a slight bit different from what I understand. And yes...when PSC has a JT overlander kit available...I'll be one of the first ones purchasing it. Problem solved...and a proper beefy metal steering box to boot. I'll be leaving the support brace on as well.

Scrubb84 likes this.
  4. cecaa850

cecaa850 Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
    Liked:
    I saw that but the measuring procedure says that it's non adjustable. I have no idea why they have a picture of someone with an alen wrench in their hand and the wrench in that particular bolt.

5. OP
    OP
    Scrubb84

Scrubb84 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JTR
    Liked:
    That was the whole reason for my comment about it. Anyways, I’m with jrf at this point. I could keep wasting my time and fight to get a 4th steering box, but the problem is they are sending these boxes from the same pile of unknown # of garbage boxes from a warehouse somewhere. Apparently my luck is so bad that if there is a hundred boxes in that pile and only 10 of them are the bad ones, those will be sent to me, while 90 other ppl would get the good ones. F M L

6. Rayzzz

Rayzzz Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator
    Liked:
    I've installed the Steering rack brace and a Fox ATS steering stabilizer and it is better but nothing but a good steering box will fix this problem with loose steering. Sure wish I would have kept my 04 TJ Rubicon.
    My Jeep likes my money

7. cecaa850

cecaa850 Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
    Liked:
    Thankfully mine seems to drive fine. For those that are having the issue, would you say it's predominately a wander issue on the highway or slop in the steering between the steering wheel and road wheels?

8. Gren71

Gren71 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Matthew
    Vehicle(s):
    Jeep JT sports S
    Liked:
    TEMS / National Guard MP
    mine isn’t profoundly bad, just feels like a bit of bump steer. Ill give this a shot. $200 on quadratec before club discounts. So seems like its worth a shot!

TJ Mitchell Films likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Scrubb84

Scrubb84 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JTR
    Liked:
    There are many parts that could cause the dead-zone between the steering wheel and the tires. The slop that we have is in the steering box itself. You can turn the input shaft or steering wheel and visually see that the pitman arm (steering box out put shaft) does not move for a considerable amount, 1-4” inches.

10. Rayzzz

Rayzzz Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator
    Liked:
    You said it spot on Scubb84. Play is in the steering box. I can say that that I'm glad I did add the steering sector shaft brace to Gladiator because my Jeep needs help staying out of the ditches and out of peoples front yards. .

There are many parts that could cause the dead-zone between the steering wheel and the tires. The slop that we have is in the steering box itself. You can turn the input shaft or steering wheel and visually see that the pitman arm (steering box out put shaft) does not move for a considerable amount, 1-4” inches.

1238413869_a40316232c_z.jpg

Gren71 and Scrubb84 like this.