Scrubb84

Scrubb84

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I just checked mine again. How much play are you getting in the bad ones? Mine only moves like 3/8” before resistance. Maybe slightly more, I was eyeballing it.
The first 2 boxes I had were horrible/comical, up to 4 inches when it’s warm out (above 50). This 3rd box is much better (but still shitty) up to 2 inches. I would be happy with 1” or less free-play.
Sponsored

Gottype

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1973 Bronco, 1972 C-10
Never heard back from them today, will have to wait till Monday and find out what they found.
Still never head anything today, will contact them tomorrow and find out what is going on. Will update you after I talk to them.

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks. Now there's some hope.

geochaf1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Occupation
Geologist
Got my 4th box installed today. Zero dead zone. Its amazing to drive now. For all those who say “its a Jeep thing” or its not your steering box...middle fingers for all you
That is good to hear. Does the 4th steering box have any different numbers on it?

Sponsored

Gottype

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1973 Bronco, 1972 C-10
I had mine it to get tested and they said ( checked right and left preload which was 3 and 3.5 inch pound and on center preload was5 inch pounds. Which makes it 1.75 inch pounds higher. on center pre load is within spec )

Jeep still floats around on the road, this is the 4th or 5th time in for steering . Would like to get it fixed, still like the JT . Just a pain to drive on the highway !

Is there a good Jeep dealer service department in Houston TX ?

Thanks.

5chema

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Canada Launch Edition (1of419)
Vehicle Showcase
Same numbers/letters
If you want, please keep us informed about it after a few hundred miles. Just to be sure it is a permanent fix or not...

But I really hope and wish you finally found the remedy!!!

Nannook of the north

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport
I saw that but the measuring procedure says that it's non adjustable. I have no idea why they have a picture of someone with an alen wrench in their hand and the wrench in that particular bolt.
The screw on the top of the box is to set the preload for the worm gears, it's not an actual adjustment.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
The screw on the top of the box is to set the preload for the worm gears, it's not an actual adjustment.
Huh? How is adjusting the preload not an adjustment?

By the way, the preload removes play in the sector shaft, hence the steering wheel.

Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
That screw has been the adjustment point to remove slop in every steering gear I've ever messed with.

DunnMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Got my 4th box installed today. Zero dead zone. Its amazing to drive now. For all those who say “its a Jeep thing” or its not your steering box...middle fingers for all you
Man, you must be happy. I'm waiting at least another week for my Gladiator/Rubicon to show up and I'm super paranoid the steering is going to suck. The two I test drove were terrible but based on forums here I assumed the likelihood of a 3rd (mine!) having the problem would be slim.

These people saying 'it's just a Jeep thing' are on glue. When you drive a bad one it is SUPER obvious. I guess when mine arrives at the dealer I will test drive it before accepting it and if it has the problem I just won't take it.

OP
OP
Scrubb84

Scrubb84

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Man, you must be happy. I'm waiting at least another week for my Gladiator/Rubicon to show up and I'm super paranoid the steering is going to suck. The two I test drove were terrible but based on forums here I assumed the likelihood of a 3rd (mine!) having the problem would be slim.

These people saying 'it's just a Jeep thing' are on glue. When you drive a bad one it is SUPER obvious. I guess when mine arrives at the dealer I will test drive it before accepting it and if it has the problem I just won't take it.
Like it shoulda been from the beginning now! I love it!
The ppl who say its not a problem really piss me off. Just because they havent had the pleasure of driving a bad one, means that every single JT is just like theirs in their minds.
Sponsored