Sponsored

Tops! Canopy / covers / toppers / racks possibilities for Gladiator - Show me!

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Do you mind if I ask what made you pick Alu-Cab over RLD? I’m on the fence. Thanks
I'm curious as well. There is good cases for both. One thing I'm interested in seeing is how the cab fits the profile of the Jeep from the front. I know on the Tacomas it doesn't follow the contour of the Taco well. I think it'll fit better on a JT.
@LifesaverJT started an alu-cab thread, he's got the first official alu-cab for a JT in the states.

His photos show an almost perfect slope matching the cab.
The hinges run the whole length of the doors.
There are built in load bars on top and bottom of roof.
The top load bars don't stick up as much as the rlds.
The top is equal height of cab in the middle, but edges taper down on cab, see @LifesaverJT s photos.
It's lighter.
Looks more utilitarian.
Alu-cab has A TON of accessories and I believe is a more tried/tested company from the searches I've done, might be wrong.
@smlobx ordered one and he's cool, look at his profile pic.

Cons,
Dynamic load is less
Possible stainless is stronger than aluminum
Stainless is easier to repair (I think).
Alu-cab can't be factory painted (but I'm probably keeping mine black anyways).

I was willing to give up the dynamic load for better hinges, better look IMO and the load bars under the roof built in.
Sponsored

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
I think I'm going to wait to see the RSI Smart Canopy...they say they're putting a lot of effort in to the design so it matches the look of the gladiator and I think it might be the best looking one yet. Should be some photos available late March so I'll be waiting to see what they come up with.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
@LifesaverJT started an alu-cab thread, he's got the first official alu-cab for a JT in the states......
@smlobx ordered one and he's cool, look at his profile pic......

I was willing to give up the dynamic load for better hinges, better look IMO and the load bars under the roof built in.
@steffen707 you’re a funny guy!

But I do agree with all you points.

Sponsored

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Just went with the Rebel Off Road half rack myself. Went up easy enough and fits like a glove. Its a beefy rack with heavy duty bolts and nice welding throughout. Have to say, this rack comes with panels and cross bars galore. Its a tad more than some of the others, but it comes with three uprights on each side.

ror1.jpg

ror2.jpg

ror3.jpg

ror4.jpg

ror6.jpg

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2014 Durango, 2020 Ibis Ripley
Vehicle Showcase
Here's the Rebel XPLOR full rack. The rack served as a massive cage when we moved my daughter's belongings home from her dorm room.

I also installed an Access Literider tonneau roll up cover. It works, but won't roll up directly. I need to angle it around the vertical supports, then roll. I don't mind the minor inconvenience to have the benefits of both the rack and tonneau.

I didn't mount all of the rails on top, and I used 4 'through' carriage bolts with wing nuts on the rear cross bar. This allows me to remove the rear cross bar when I want to transport bikes on a tailgate pad (secures up to 5 bikes). I sprayed the exposed parts of the stainless carriage bolts with bedliner spray so they'd blend with the rack.

Jeep Gladiator Tops! Canopy / covers / toppers / racks possibilities for Gladiator - Show me! Bed Rack rear

Jeep Gladiator Tops! Canopy / covers / toppers / racks possibilities for Gladiator - Show me! Bikes on Tailgate

Jeep Gladiator Tops! Canopy / covers / toppers / racks possibilities for Gladiator - Show me! QR bolts

Jeep Gladiator Tops! Canopy / covers / toppers / racks possibilities for Gladiator - Show me! Bed Rack QR bolts

Jeep Gladiator Tops! Canopy / covers / toppers / racks possibilities for Gladiator - Show me! Bed rack & Tonneau mounts

Jeep Gladiator Tops! Canopy / covers / toppers / racks possibilities for Gladiator - Show me! Decals on

JT “Charlie”

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
You make a valid point. Few thing:

1). I like the way the Outpost HD looks better. (Less like a work truck, more like an overland vehicle)
2). I like the way the Yakima racks are constructed with the wider base that sits along the side of the bed rather than a small point of contact.
3). I tend to trust Yakima engineers more. Grew up using Yakima for canoes and kayaks as a kid so it has some equity for me.

I’m still not convinced that mid height rack, on tonneau adaptor, on bed side, attached to bed rails is going to be secure enough for my needs. I might buy one and put it together and post a video & pictures to see if it works.
Hey have you followed up on this by chance. I’m in the same boat. I have the Yakima outpost rack on my gladiator now. I would like to run a tonneau due to having the fridge back there now, however concerned about the height. But that’s a different problem I need to work on. However, I see on eBay the elevated tally rails for the gladiator for 135 which is good. I just would hate to order if they won’t work with the Yakima t-slot bases. Those are additional 100+/- themselves. I believe a guy on the “what did you do to your gladiator today” has the elevate rails on his gladiator. I need to go back and double check. I wish retrax or PE would just hurry up and make their covers with the rail options for the gladiator.

2532746F-1B60-435C-AB48-DE986A99EE69.jpeg

47B11277-41FD-492B-BC93-B2B2E9FCCA2B.jpeg

Sunnysideup

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Pumpkin Gladiator/ 2007 Steel Blue JKU
Occupation
Pastor
I'm thinking on building my own.... it will be more vertical with the cab, it will be a solid welded frame that sits exactly over and inside angle on the bed. I will run some dimpled steel supports up the middle. It will sit below the roof line even with the drip rails. Then it will have RTT rails built so it clears the roof by 2 inches or so. I'll have the framework powdercoated. The framework will then have 1/2 thick orange Plastic sheets bolted from the inside unto the framework... sealed with black rubber sealer. there can be hinged access doors, rotopax mounts, etc. on the side. 4 boat windows near the top two on each side, that open. Cab side wall will have sliding camper window. Back will have a door with small window that doesn't open. Probably will be all black...no plastic. The roof will also be sheets of plastic bolted up to framework from inside. Kind of drew this up.... just thinking about what I want in a topper... the plastic prices out around 200 bucks, the steel is less... powder-coating will be a couple hundred for the frame... Boat windows are 150 for 4, camper window is 80. Back door will be 100 to build. about 900-1000 to build? Save my money for the tent then?

An idea of what I'm talking about....

homemade top.jpg

Sponsored

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
RSi posted some photos of their canopy in another thread - these are the first images of it on a Gladiator that are not renderings I believe:

1d75bc75-52a4-454e-978f-279823134b53.jpg
1f549be3-ba7e-46fe-bfcf-d57f41924d93.jpg
3a649ffb-90e7-4c27-af17-5f2c01f66e8c.jpg
4f549c07-61fe-489d-8b5e-144b8af63063.jpg
4f565fdf-b94a-4a0b-9a78-359aad9090a6.jpg
8b116a08-8512-451d-acc1-87a754ae2e95.jpg
8e7b0cb0-faf8-4fa5-ac18-60c2040d07c4.jpg
079f8649-b16f-4fd9-bd59-5bcf581cf46b.jpg
81407715-4e6b-470e-9537-43d1fb576299.jpg
b36d4679-6564-4b56-a802-7c4103e268da.jpg
cfdfd932-3c99-4770-ae95-cb1fa5afcdc7.jpg
This is by far my favorite looking of the metal toppers. With that being said, I've heard very mixed reviews regarding the fit and finish of the RSI caps, so I'm a bit hesitant...

Do I want to go with this and a rooftop tent? Wait to see if A.R.E. does release their CX HD series, and bolt on my tent? Or sell both of my tops, sell my tent setup, save up money and go with the eventual offering from Ursa Minor? According to them, they are aiming for a bed cover/hard top replacement; a fully-integrated design similar to their JK/JL builds, which I find *very* appealing. Decisions, decisions...the worst part is the longer I wait, the less camping I'll be able to do. I may just grab a cheap ground tent and tonneau in the meantime so I can still get out there this year.

AKID_RBM

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave, 23 GCL, 15 Cherokee TH
Occupation
Construction
That RSI Cap seems intriguing. I like how they allow you to configure the window setup to fit your needs. Look forward to hearing some real world feedback on them come fall.

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Those are sure nice caps. A little expensive, but nice. Except for those big ugly clamps that hold it to the bed. Think I would rather drill the rail cap and secure it with bolts.

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
Those are sure nice caps. A little expensive, but nice. Except for those big ugly clamps that hold it to the bed. Think I would rather drill the rail cap and secure it with bolts.
Just paint them black, you'll hardly notice they're there...:CWL:
Sponsored