Gorilla Glass

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I ordered that windshield for my Gladiator, it is sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. My original has a crack right down the middle. Was worried it may get dicey once the colder temps hit. It is crazy how light that windshield is. I was able to carry it in the garage under one arm.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I wouldn't say that it's garbage as much as it's a nearly vertical plane and extremely susceptible. Still not sure it's worth the cost of Gorilla glass when my insurance includes glass coverage.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The HGP glass with the litebrite discount was 690 delivered to my door. Factory glass cheapest quote was 580 all the way to 650. So for a 110 dollars I get a 2 year warranty, possibly more robust and clear glass. Seems like it is worth a try to me. My insurance specifically said they only cover 100 dollars on jeep wrangler and gladiator glass. I have American Family insurance. Been good on most things but this is a crock.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Dang you got a good deal! Mine was $760 and I still haven't sorted out the install. Had one big divot that prompted the order, just picked up another one Sunday. I was quoted $550-$580 for OEM glass (to keep the Easter Egg) and figured it was worth it out of pocket for the 2yr warranty. $500 deductible applies to glass replacement with my otherwise VERY good coverage.

The HGP glass with the litebrite discount was 690 delivered to my door. Factory glass cheapest quote was 580 all the way to 650. So for a 110 dollars I get a 2 year warranty, possibly more robust and clear glass. Seems like it is worth a try to me. My insurance specifically said they only cover 100 dollars on jeep wrangler and gladiator glass. I have American Family insurance. Been good on most things but this is a crock.

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it all depends what is attached to your windscreen from the factory. Mine is bare bones. So 699 for windscreen then 50 dollar litebrite discount and 40 dollars tax

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I did this for $200. Granted, it will need to be replaced about every 2 years, but I can do this 3x for less than a replacement window. Not sure how much it protects, but so far so good.

https://racingopticsjeep.com/
That looks pretty cool. Can you even see that something is applied on the stock windshield?

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
That looks pretty cool. Can you even see that something is applied on the stock windshield?
Nope, the optical quality is a lot better than the film I had professionally applied to my WK2 about 7 years ago. You do need a dust-free environment or you will get little spots trapped in it. You don’t notice them unless you look for them.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Nope, the optical quality is a lot better than the film I had professionally applied to my WK2 about 7 years ago. You do need a dust-free environment or you will get little spots trapped in it. You don’t notice them unless you look for them.
What about when it rains or it gets washed? Does water get in between the layers?

Sponsored

WaterDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I bought glass protection from my dealer. It $350. They put a coating on the windshield. Broken glass is covered for 5 years.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
No issues with rain... I never wash my Jeep. Lol
In all seriousness, no issues with rain. It’s just like a tear-off visor for a helmet. It would take some seriously bad luck for a car wash to rip it or a layer off. Probably not impossible, but damn near.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I had a new windshield put in a couple of months ago. TEENY rock chip turned into a 2' crack.
I was cleaning the bugs off, applying RainX and installing new wiper blades and found 4 small chips in the glass already. This is crazy. I had my Chevy 8 years and not a nick or chip anywhere, my Ford took a hit, yeah, but that was early on and it went another 5 or 6 years without so much as a tiny nick in it and my 2004 WJ has 127,000 miles on it, looks like it was sand blasted as far as the glass but not a single chip or nick other than it's not as clear as it used to be.
So when this glass finally goes, that will be 2 times and they ain't cheap. over 900 installed.
My insurance covers it with a $500 deductible (odd when for my wife it's a 250? what gives?)
So I paid almost a grand out of pocket to not lose the 10 year claim-free discount (it's a heavy discount) as the most I'd have saved turning it the claim was about 500.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
I bought glass protection from my dealer. It $350. They put a coating on the windshield. Broken glass is covered for 5 years.
For 5 yrs, that’s a pretty good deal.
Sponsored