Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I took my trailer on a 500 mile trip through the mountains of western VA with this controller and it did work flawlessly. The detent of the settings keeps the setting in place and yes the lighting only really works when the trailer is hooked up (yet seems to come on initially at startup when you are unhooked but then turns off). My initial review? It's a brake controller. Nothing special. If it works on your truck it will work (I even had to test locking up the trailer tires on the Capital beltway due to DC idiocy). Sorry I forgot to ask the wife to check the 'California compliance'. I will see if I can get that checked tonight.
Do u happen to know approx build date of your truck?
Good review, too bad u had to test the trailer brakes that way....but glad it worked and perhaps saved your truck from a big owie.
Sponsored

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Do u happen to know approx build date of your truck?
Good review, too bad u had to test the trailer brakes that way....but glad it worked and perhaps saved your truck from a big owie.
9/11/20 was my build date. It is also a diesel but I don't think that makes a difference with the BCM related functions like the trailer wiring.

When I get some time I will hook AlphaOBD back up and scroll through some of the functions that are enabled/disabled on my BCM because I still think it is a hardware/software change with the BCM and not the wiring harness. Has anyone checked on part number changes with the BCM itself? Did the dealer update your BCM when they were troubleshooting? It could explain some MY20 working while others don't because they have not been updated.

As far as the hard stop I had plenty of space to go before hitting anything and the truck itself never even squeaked a tire so although it was a hard brake I might have had the trailer set a notch too high and the trailer was doing most of the braking. I guess that is where the half detents come in on the wheel...

If you have ever driven on the Capital Beltway leaving too much space just invites people to cut in front of you...

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
I took my trailer on a 500 mile trip through the mountains of western VA with this controller and it did work flawlessly. The detent of the settings keeps the setting in place and yes the lighting only really works when the trailer is hooked up (yet seems to come on initially at startup when you are unhooked but then turns off). My initial review? It's a brake controller. Nothing special. If it works on your truck it will work (I even had to test locking up the trailer tires on the Capital beltway due to DC idiocy). Sorry I forgot to ask the wife to check the 'California compliance'. I will see if I can get that checked tonight.
Thanks for the update, I noticed the same when it comes to the switch lighting up at vehicle startup then turning off. Do you have the issue others have reported where if you push the brake button manually without a trailer hooked up the dash goes crazy?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the update, I noticed the same when it comes to the switch lighting up at vehicle startup then turning off. Do you have the issue others have reported where if you push the brake button manually without a trailer hooked up the dash goes crazy?
It happens with trailer connected, too............ at least according to Jeff and possibly one other.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
@kclendaniel what about you, does the dash light up when you press the button?
Not sure what you mean by "does the dash light up" specifically. I do not get any of the messages or warning lights others are getting. The backlight and the green/red light on the knob itself only light up when the trailer is connected but do seem to light up initially when you restart the vehicle after disconnecting. It might just be that it is attempting to sense a trailer on start up and then going into a sleep/standby mode. I had a similar experience with my Teknosha P2.

As far as the "California Compliant" question I don't believe the device is compliant. When you hit the brake button only the trailer brake lights do not activate. They only activate with the brake pedal.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure what you mean by "does the dash light up" specifically. I do not get any of the messages or warning lights others are getting. The backlight and the green/red light on the knob itself only light up when the trailer is connected but do seem to light up initially when you restart the vehicle after disconnecting. It might just be that it is attempting to sense a trailer on start up and then going into a sleep/standby mode. I had a similar experience with my Teknosha P2.

As far as the "California Compliant" question I don't believe the device is compliant. When you hit the brake button only the trailer brake lights do not activate. They only activate with the brake pedal.
This is what we mean by "dos the dash light up" - you'd know it if it happened. Sort of like - no description needed, you'd recognize it ;)

atoy74

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Good news! I confirmed the Tekonsha 3073-P will fix the issues. Verified all the pin outs are the same and the resistor is there. Did the same test as before when I had the issues and no dash lights or warning this time. This is the fix for now if you have issues.
Just wanted to pass along that I have also tested the 3070-P and it works fine. Still need to full test with a trailer but no more dash lights and, when hitting the brake button, I can hear an audible clicking from the controller.

Looking at the Mopar wiring harness I wonder if just some of them shipped without the appropriate diode. Maybe an earlier production batch? I would love it if someone with a working (no dash lights) controller can inspect the harness and see if there's a diode there.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Something to add - Anyone who has checked out this controller and says that it doesn't "light up the dash" - push the button with your foot OFF THE BRAKE PEDAL.

If you had your foot on the brake, the system is expecting a signal and won't go nuts.

Normally if you are pushing that button you are doing it for trailer brakes ALONE so will not be touching the brake pedal.

So if you previously tried it and it was fine - BUT you had your foot on the brake, Try with NO FOOT on the brake pedal.

Just wanted to pass along that I have also tested the 3070-P and it works fine. Still need to full test with a trailer but no more dash lights and, when hitting the brake button, I can hear an audible clicking from the controller.

Looking at the Mopar wiring harness I wonder if just some of them shipped without the appropriate diode. Maybe an earlier production batch? I would love it if someone with a working (no dash lights) controller can inspect the harness and see if there's a diode there.
That was an earlier idea but I don't think anyone who hasn't had the issue ever bothered testing for a diode.
Only one way to know -someone without the codes and errors flashing up - check the harness for a diode in the brake lamp line wire.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Another member was having issues as well and his dealer was trying to figure it out and ran across this -
This explains it. There IS a problem - LOL - with the TRUCK.
In fact, this publication indicates it's date-related AND covers Redarc controllers, too.
So it's the truck, not the controller. And if this is correct, people wanting the Redarc and having a JT after the date this bulletin mentions won't need the harness with diode (I'm assuming based on the wording of this document)

My dealer tech found the codes, reported them to the star team - at that time star said they'd never heard of such a thing and HAD NO RECORD OF ISSUES. Was this tech the first to report it.... officially, that is? I dunno.

But pushing this issue has gotten Mopar to admit there's an issue.

Further, they admit the harness in the instructions is EXACTLY as I figured out using Mopar wiring diagrams - not a fix but for Wrangler only, NOT JT.
They say IGNORE THE ADH notation - and the harness is NOT for JT.
After searching through wiring diagrams, comparing Jeeps, wire colors, locations, connections and so on, that was pretty obvious.

Finally, we're getting somewhere.

Jeep Gladiator Mopar factory trailer brake controller - my impressions and review 044DD5A4-59F8-4180-B3FB-907D1B3E90FF

HemiMagnum1

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody, Durango SRT 392
I had error lights using the manual brake button when installed with the Mopar wiring harness. After switching to the Tekonsha harness the lights went away. Seems to be functioning correctly now. 2020 Max Tow, Dec 2019 build.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I tried every scenario and couldn’t get the issue to happen. I pushed the button while in park/drive/neutral and for each I tried with and without the brake pedal depressed.

Just as a reminder, it’s a fully loaded Rubicon trim built June 2020. I ordered the trailer brake control very early in the year from BAM Wholesale so I imagine I got one of the first they received.

Said it before and I’ll say it again, it looks to be an issue with earlier builds. Anyone in the 2020 time frame have an issue?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I tried every scenario and couldn’t get the issue to happen. I pushed the button while in park/drive/neutral and for each I tried with and without the brake pedal depressed.

Just as a reminder, it’s a fully loaded Rubicon trim built June 2020. I ordered the trailer brake control very early in the year from BAM Wholesale so I imagine I got one of the first they received.

Said it before and I’ll say it again, it looks to be an issue with earlier builds. Anyone in the 2020 time frame have an issue?
It hasn't been stated what Jeep did to fix it, but anything built after January 2020 doesn't have the problem.

Do the trailer brake lights come on when the manual button is pressed?

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It hasn't been stated what Jeep did to fix it, but anything built after January 2020 doesn't have the problem.

Do the trailer brake lights come on when the manual button is pressed?
Haven’t hooked a trailer up yet to test it, might be able to tomorrow though. I assume they SHOULD come on when I push it, right?
Sponsored