Sponsored

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Thanks, I will definitely continue to share!

Yes I am having it tuned for 87 octane.
That's a nice upside. Not necessarily cost wise depending on annual mileage but convenience for sure. According to MOPAR "The fuel grade required for both 5.7L and 6.4L engines is premium (91 octane or greater)" so I am curious if the 6.4L could also be detuned to run on 87 since it's also a NA engine
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mopar King

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2022 JLU 392
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
That's a nice upside. Not necessarily cost wise depending on annual mileage but convenience for sure. According to MOPAR "The fuel grade required for both 5.7L and 6.4L engines is premium (91 octane or greater)" so I am curious if the 6.4L could also be detuned to run on 87 since it's also a NA engine
Not sure where you are finding the information but I have owned more than a handful of 5.7s and they all recommend and have run 87. This one as I mentioned is also specifically being tuned for 87.

I mean, I would think anything is possible. That's a good question and worth an ask!

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
It's in this crate engine instruction sheet from MOPAR. The 6.4L in the FCA trucks runs on 87 but I don't think that is the SRT version. It's on page 3 here. I'll ask Rubitrux if they have different tunes available

Attachments

Last edited:

Snzzbry_Ovrlnd

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Army
Vehicle Showcase
I would love to put a hemi in but not sure how to swing and extra $35K in addition to paying $40-59K for the truck. However, more power to you (in more ways than one).

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Yeah that would be fun. Can you expand a little on what you are thinking?
My initial thought is kinda of like what TFL on you tube does,, comparing models of truck. Towing, off roading, fuel mileage, acceleration tests.

Sponsored

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
FWIW stuck with 91 for the 6.4L. Would be fun to do a comparisons series between your 5.7L and a 6.4L in terms of towing, mileage, crawling etc. maybe throw a diesel and 3.6L in there as well. That would be good TV. Wondering if the TLF guys would be open to that with an audience supplied truck ha ha

hobbsserv

First Name
K Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon white
Occupation
Business Owner
Thank you for this thread. I plan to wait 2 years and see if Peugeot is going to put a V8 in the JT. My hope is they go with the 5.7. If I want a 392 hot rod Ill get a Wrangler. I think the utilitarian aspect of the 5.7 in the JT is the perfect set up.

The price to convert is not that bad. If it becomes factory available it will be simple math to determine if it will be better to trade in what I have for the factory V8 or send it off for the conversion. I bet I will have to come up with $30-$35K to trade.

OP
OP
Mopar King

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
Thank you for this thread. I plan to wait 2 years and see if Peugeot is going to put a V8 in the JT. My hope is they go with the 5.7. If I want a 392 hot rod Ill get a Wrangler. I think the utilitarian aspect of the 5.7 in the JT is the perfect set up.

The price to convert is not that bad. If it becomes factory available it will be simple math to determine if it will be better to trade in what I have for the factory V8 or send it off for the conversion. I bet I will have to come up with $30-$35K to trade.
Yeah, I unfortunately don't think we are going to see a V8 in the JT inside of 5 years. The CEO of FCA has already said they have no plans to put the 392 in the Gladiator anytime soon. My guess is they will evaluate sales for the Wrangler and then consider it from there.

It's slightly irritating and confusing to me why you would put a 392 in a vehicle with a towing capacity of 1500 lbs. instead of the JT were you could more appropriately use that power.

Anyways, from my understanding the Eco Diesel is the answer to them for more torque with no future plans to expand the powertrain anytime soon. You and I know that could change tomorrow if Bronco announces a truck with a V8 but....the reality of that is also slim for a few years.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition

My expectation would be less V8s post Peugeot merger as it's so US specific and the merger is also done to accelerate both companies switch to electric. But one never knows. If anything we will get the 392 in the Mojave as that's a low cost low hanging fruit. I doubt we even get it for the JTR.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I'm interested to see the MPG difference, I'm thinking it might not be bad or could even be better then the hard working 3.6. My wife already knows that if they come out with a small V-8 in the Gladiator I'll be justfying how we HAVE to trade for it...Jack

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the problem is having a V8 midsized truck. It will get in a weird territory that steps on the Ram doorstep, and then there are the cooling, chassis, etc concerns with this thing punching way above its weight class

Reactions: N83
OP
OP
Mopar King

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
My expectation would be less V8s post Peugeot merger as it's so US specific and the merger is also done to accelerate both companies switch to electric. But one never knows. If anything we will get the 392 in the Mojave as that's a low cost low hanging fruit. I doubt we even get it for the JTR.
I agree to some extent, we will see FCA expand upon electric but I don't see Dodge/Jeep downsizing its V8 market. That is what's hot here and it would grossly effect their reach in the market.

OP
OP
Mopar King

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
I'm interested to see the MPG difference, I'm thinking it might not be bad or could even be better then the hard working 3.6. My wife already knows that if they come out with a small V-8 in the Gladiator I'll be justfying how we HAVE to trade for it...Jack
My mileage will be better by 3-4 MPG. Partially due to the power/RPM range I'll be riding at as well as the regear and other work being done as well.

Side note, my mileage SUCKS right now with the supercharger. On average I can get 14 mixed...less if its all highway. Thats driving like a 90 year old.

OP
OP
Mopar King

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
I think the problem is having a V8 midsized truck. It will get in a weird territory that steps on the Ram doorstep, and then there are the cooling, chassis, etc concerns with this thing punching way above its weight class
Maybe....but the people who buy the Ram want the interior room, the foot room, the extra hauling ability.....stuff the JT won't check the box on. I have owned 5 Rams and I love them, honestly more comfortable than my JT but I just love Jeeps. Not taking anything away from the JT, it isn't a bad ride.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am around 14, which is about what I got in my 15 Ram Sport. My 2019 limited would do 18
Sponsored