Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2022 JLU 392
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
Curious what MPG you getting? I just talked to the guys at AMW4x4, Doing a 392/Hellcat a Gladiator or going TRX/HellCat Durango possibly. Really Looking at TRX vs Gladiator love the gladiator size hate the size of the TRX.
Best thing I can tell you is if MPGs is even a consideration - don't get any of them. Part of the reason I initially went with the 5.7 was to be conservative and I never stopped kicking myself for doing so. On top of mileage being a concern fuel prices are going to be hitting $5 a gallon in most places for premium too.

As far as fuel economy - I have had nothing but subzero temperatures here since getting the Hellcat back. Its fresh and not broken in so my experience/data wouldn't be valid yet.

My thoughts are if the TRX gets 13MPG mixed.....the Gladiator should get that too. That very much depends on a ton of variables: how you drive, weight in gear, tire size, gear ratio and etc.

I also have a 392 Durango (Mopar 18 Edition). I bought it brand new, and it has less than 2k miles on it right now. I am about to sell it because I don't drive it. If I am not in my Hellcat JT I am in my JLU (stock 3.6) and waiting on my wife's 22 392 JLU order to come in. What I am getting at is regardless of the powertrain I would just rather drive my Jeeps.
Sponsored

EdgeMan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can share my mileage experience with the 392. It entirly depends on the rest of the setup. On 35s I got 15 average and now on 38s I am getting 12.5 on average. I can get 20 when going 50 on a flat road but interstate at 80-90 is about 13 only. If you add one ton axles and 40s can probably take off another 2MPGs
Thanks you definitely made me decide AMW 4x4 is the way to go! vs. TRX!

EdgeMan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Best thing I can tell you is if MPGs is even a consideration - don't get any of them. Part of the reason I initially went with the 5.7 was to be conservative and I never stopped kicking myself for doing so. On top of mileage being a concern fuel prices are going to be hitting $5 a gallon in most places for premium too.

As far as fuel economy - I have had nothing but subzero temperatures here since getting the Hellcat back. Its fresh and not broken in so my experience/data wouldn't be valid yet.

My thoughts are if the TRX gets 13MPG mixed.....the Gladiator should get that too. That very much depends on a ton of variables: how you drive, weight in gear, tire size, gear ratio and etc.

I also have a 392 Durango (Mopar 18 Edition). I bought it brand new, and it has less than 2k miles on it right now. I am about to sell it because I don't drive it. If I am not in my Hellcat JT I am in my JLU (stock 3.6) and waiting on my wife's 22 392 JLU order to come in. What I am getting at is regardless of the powertrain I would just rather drive my Jeeps.
Yeah, I'm not worried that much about MPG. But if the MPG is better vs. the TRX my vote is the Jeep. I heard TRX on avg is 10 mpg

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
Yeah, I'm not worried that much about MPG. But if the MPG is better vs. the TRX my vote is the Jeep. I heard TRX on avg is 10 mpg
Either way....talking 10 MPG vs. 12 or 13 MPG.....thats going to make or break your decision?

EdgeMan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Either way....talking 10 MPG vs. 12 or 13 MPG.....thats going to make or break your decision?
Lot more than that, trying to avoid the TRX due to it's size.I dont plan to run big tires like you guys, likely will be 35-37's. $ wise we're talking about 140K vs. TRX is half the cost. Now that I think about it typing this... I have some thinking to do haha!

Sponsored

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
Lot more than that, trying to avoid the TRX due to it's size.I dont plan to run big tires like you guys, likely will be 35-37's. $ wise we're talking about 140K vs. TRX is half the cost. Now that I think about it typing this... I have some thinking to do haha!
Right - the two options aren't even close in my opinion. The JT is a fair bit smaller and keeps you in the Jeep world. A fully loaded TRX is running $97k or so MSRP. Even if you go cheap on a JT Hellcat build your going to be in around $125-$130 K if you start with a Sport.

Also, my Hellcat JT was quicker than my local dealers TRX if it matters :)!

EdgeMan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right - the two options aren't even close in my opinion. The JT is a fair bit smaller and keeps you in the Jeep world. A fully loaded TRX is running $97k or so MSRP. Even if you go cheap on a JT Hellcat build your going to be in around $125-$130 K if you start with a Sport.

Also, my Hellcat JT was quicker than my local dealers TRX if it matters :)!
TRXs I can get 10K off MSRP.so the price it puts it at or around 85K but... a like 3-6 month wait.

So looking at the difference in price $40K I could just put that into a nice Daily driver that sips. But now I got two cars to deal with and double insurance. ha. We will see I've been researching for a long time and have started to narrow it down. I think resale will matter as well. I appreciate your input!

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
An engine swapped JT is going to be a very different experience than a stock truck like TRX or Raptor in terms of wow factor but also complexity when stuff needs fixing. Though AMW and Rubi did a great job when I had my oil leak. So the support will be good.

The question really is what do you want out of it? I like it's a Jeep with all that comes with that and I like to take it rock crawling and make it unique and my own. And most importantly I love the form factor. The TRX though will be much more roomy luxurious and refined on the interior.

EdgeMan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An engine swapped JT is going to be a very different experience than a stock truck like TRX or Raptor in terms of wow factor but also complexity when stuff needs fixing. Though AMW and Rubi did a great job when I had my oil leak. So the support will be good.

The question really is what do you want out of it? I like it's a Jeep with all that comes with that and I like to take it rock crawling and make it unique and my own. And most importantly I love the form factor. The TRX though will be much more roomy luxurious and refined on the interior.
I'm probably going to head up to Holly, MI to drive the 505 and 707 models. I think it might be the closest I'll get to a proper decision. I don't want to hijack the thread, Perhaps I'll create my own thread with a poll. All great questions, and it's helping me decide. I have had many cars/trucks at all prices, and I'm really taking my time on this next one.

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator rubicon and 2018 Rubicon JL

your gonna love the 392 JLU! Bought my wife one then traded in my supercharged gladiator for a second .. btw reading these posts helped me make that decision …. good stuff here

Sponsored

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
your gonna love the 392 JLU! Bought my wife one then traded in my supercharged gladiator for a second .. btw reading these posts helped me make that decision …. good stuff here
Thanks. Yeah, after owning a few 392s I had no doubt about one in our Wrangler. It's a 2022
Tuscadero pink with the Recon Package. Already have 37s and a bunch of mods sitting here waiting too. Should be here in just a few short weeks.

I started out with a supercharger on my JT and that wasn't for me either. Hellcat though is perfection!

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator rubicon and 2018 Rubicon JL
Thanks. Yeah, after owning a few 392s I had no doubt about one in our Wrangler. It's a 2022
Tuscadero pink with the Recon Package. Already have 37s and a bunch of mods sitting here waiting too. Should be here in just a few short weeks.

I started out with a supercharger on my JT and that wasn't for me either. Hellcat though is perfection!

Nice we got a 2021 Tuscadero and then I went basic black on my trade in… I went ripp on the charger and got great power … after driving her 392 I had made my mind up but was either that or hemi swap on the glad … glad traded in at a great great great deal btw
Sponsored