First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Engineer
I've owned a Mojave for 11 months. Unfortunately I totaled it in an accident. I'm looking to purchase a new Gladiator and am considering the diesel option for fuel efficiency. I'm looking for REAL MPG numbers on the diesel from someone that owns one. My Mojave got 15-18mpg (City or freeway). Sticker states 17 city, 22 hwy. I could NEVER get it above 18 mpg. Since the Mojave doesn't have the diesel option, I'll have to go with the Rubicon.

Does anyone have the actual mpg for the Rubicon diesel option. (NOT what the sticker claims)
I'd like to know
- Daily all round driving MPG
- Freeway only driving MPG (NOT towing)
- Freeway driving pulling a travel trailer (Approx 5,000 lbs)
I live in Northern California, in the foothills at approx. 2,300' altitude.

Thank you
Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
To and from work I was getting in the summer 26.8
Went on a longer trip and saw 29 all hwy driving.
My average currently is around 25 combined.
I usually only drive it to and from work.
I live at 4100 ft.
Sorry it's a Sport S Ecodiesel with 3:73 gears. Same as all diesel Gladiator's

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
You can check my thread on my trip back home to ca from TN but on 37s im in the mid 22s highest 28. have not towed yet.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I've owned a Mojave for 11 months. Unfortunately I totaled it in an accident. I'm looking to purchase a new Gladiator and am considering the diesel option for fuel efficiency. I'm looking for REAL MPG numbers on the diesel from someone that owns one. My Mojave got 15-18mpg (City or freeway). Sticker states 17 city, 22 hwy. I could NEVER get it above 18 mpg. Since the Mojave doesn't have the diesel option, I'll have to go with the Rubicon.

Does anyone have the actual mpg for the Rubicon diesel option. (NOT what the sticker claims)
I'd like to know
- Daily all round driving MPG
- Freeway only driving MPG (NOT towing)
- Freeway driving pulling a travel trailer (Approx 5,000 lbs)
I live in Northern California, in the foothills at approx. 2,300' altitude.

Thank you
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/rubicon-diesel-mpg-at-what-speed.36974/

Here's a good one, https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...pg-what-are-you-getting-in-your-diesel.39143/

Paulator

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BU, 2021 Gladiator Sport Diesel on order
My JT is on 285/70R17 General Grabber AT
Milage Highway at 120 km/h 29mpg (100 km/h 30 mpg)

City driving stop and go: 20/21

Trip Computer says after 7000 miles 22,8 mpg

Thats my range. I´m always using the speedometer .

Hope it helps

Sponsored

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
If you're not in love with a turbo diesel the real question is if it's cheaper to own. It depends on a lot of factors, but probably not for most people.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Here's my advice: Go to Fuelly.com and look at the data there. It's hand calculated and takes out all the "I get 30 MPG on 37s!" lies you find on the internet.

As of right now, if we combine JL and JT EcoDiesels nationally, with hundreds of thousands of miles totalled, it looks like the average is 21.7 MPG.

My personal average over the last six months is 19.7 MPG. Granted I have 295/70R18 tires.

So realistically you're looking at low 20s stock on a daily commute with the diesel.

ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist
Here's my advice: Go to Fuelly.com and look at the data there. It's hand calculated and takes out all the "I get 30 MPG on 37s!" lies you find on the internet.

As of right now, if we combine JL and JT EcoDiesels nationally, with hundreds of thousands of miles totalled, it looks like the average is 21.7 MPG.

My personal average over the last six months is 19.7 MPG. Granted I have 295/70R18 tires.

So realistically you're looking at low 20s stock on a daily commute with the diesel.
You cannot make that assumption as the data is not apples to apples.
Low 20s on an open road commute is too low.

My Willys stock with MT tires 32" stock is getting 25MPG average. I drive around town and open road (minimal highway). My truck is also not broken in yet. Diesels get better mileage as they loosen up and break in. Highway only at 70-75 I am getting ~27MPG.

The main awesome things about the diesel:

1) torque
2) driveability
3) transmission (under driveability but it's very nice)
4) noise
5) fuel consumption

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You cannot make that assumption as the data is not apples to apples.
Low 20s on an open road commute is too low.

My Willys stock with MT tires 32" stock is getting 25MPG average. I drive around town and open road (minimal highway). My truck is also not broken in yet. Diesels get better mileage as they loosen up and break in. Highway only at 70-75 I am getting ~27MPG.

The main awesome things about the diesel:

1) torque
2) driveability
3) transmission (under driveability but it's very nice)
4) noise
5) fuel consumption
You absolutely can make that assumption because the OP specifically asked about mixed driving, highway driving, and towing. And the users on Fuelly all contribute data from their own driving which incorporates ALL of those types. Over a million combined miles, the law of averages takes over and you get the most accurate numbers you will ever find, far more accurate than the EPA window sticker ratings which are done in perfect conditions.

I can attest that the Fuelly averages are correct because as I mentioned my results are similar. I've had two of these Gen 3 diesels and neither would EVER get 25 MPG on a tank unless I was 100% highway at 55-60 MPH.

Sponsored

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Overland with rubicon tires and 1.5" front level kit
23 mpg avg.
25 mpg Highway full tank at 73 mph
Trailer is 28ft x 8.5 high x 7.5 wide and 5600 loaded
12 mpg @ 70
14 mpg @ 65

20210809_151015.jpg

Last edited:

The dude

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I have averaged 22 mpg with a mix of city/hwy. when I tow get between 12-14 depending on trailer. Wind resistance is really the deciding factor my heavier trailer gets 14 but has a sloped v nose.

ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist
You absolutely can make that assumption because the OP specifically asked about mixed driving, highway driving, and towing. And the users on Fuelly all contribute data from their own driving which incorporates ALL of those types. Over a million combined miles, the law of averages takes over and you get the most accurate numbers you will ever find, far more accurate than the EPA window sticker ratings which are done in perfect conditions.

I can attest that the Fuelly averages are correct because as I mentioned my results are similar. I've had two of these Gen 3 diesels and neither would EVER get 25 MPG on a tank unless I was 100% highway at 55-60 MPH.
You cannot because all vehicles on Fuely are not in the stock configuration. You for example, run non OEM tire setup. Your gas mileage isn't relevant for OP. Some may run extreme 40 inch setups lifted which would yield terrible fuel economy and get the averages down.
OP is asking for real world stock Rubicon mileage. My truck has the same suspension as Rubicon minus lockers and 1 inch tire difference.
This is what I meant :)

raypla

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD Stingray
Occupation
Facility Planner

This is consistent with my findings, approximately 9k miles on my JTRD. Did a full tank or two on a highway trip, gauge showed 26.5 when I got back home. Towing through the mountains, 16’ deep V w/50 hp boat, showed 18.5. Back and forth to work gets around 21. I’ve found the gauge displays ~1 mpg more than actual when hand calculated.
Mpg is nice but after driving my Jeep, the smile/mile the gobs of torque provides, I could give a poo about mpg.
I had the 3.6 in a jk, mpg was junk and might as well be driving a minivan. Towing my boat was lucky to get 10 mpg. The peak numbers are near redline, how often are you there, vs just on the throttle where you always are. Def usage is ~1 gal/1000 mi.

F1REICE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon diesel
Occupation
Paramedic health care
I have a 2021 JTRD currently 8,643 miles. Right now completely stock no changes. I live in Va around the Blueridge mts. Driving back and forth to work say 36 miles round trip. My average is 24-25 mpg. I have seen my mpg in the high 20s on interstate but I dont have any long straight trips to give you a direct highway mpg. I hope my 2 cents helps... p.s. I love the torque of the diesel and have ZERO regrets.
Sponsored