Sponsored

Scrambler Seen Tow Testing

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Check it: http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/heres-why-the-new-jeep-scramblers-are-towing-those-weir-1798402798

A reader and motorcar-pilot named Angelo sent me this video of a Gladiator and another truck (a new Ram?) engaged in some sort of testing involving some odd trailers.

From what I can tell, there seems to be a place there for installing or removing weights, which I expect is how they figure out maximum towing ratings. What I’m puzzled by, though, is the massive grid-like framework at thefront of the trailer; what the hell is that for?

The weights themselves are dense and low, and don’t require much in the way of an upper superstructure. Is that grid-thing used for some kind of aero drag tests? Perhaps the grid’s squares can be sealed with panels to increase drag as needed?

I looked up the DOT number on the side of the Jeep and found it is indeed Automotive Test Services, and called their number to ask. I was able to get ahold of a representative named John Singleton, a friendly guy who laughed when I asked what that big grid thing was for.

“We have some of the ugliest trailers,” he told me, laughing.

I asked what the purpose of the big grid structure was and he said “Camouflage.”

He elaborated:

“We’re looking for a certain weight, and we do whatever we have to do to get it. I’ve seen some of our trailers that look hideous. Wooden boxes on them, covered in newspaper, feathers, anything. There’s really no science to that stuff at all. We just need to get to a certain weight and maintain it for as long as we need.”

So, there you go! Those trailers aren’t some hyper-advanced strain sensing rigs, just ugly things that do a job. I guess they work!

Now someone please find a picture of one of those with the newspaper and feathers on it for me.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Taimaishu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Good hope they are serious about its towing abilities.

Canadiancummins

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 ram 2500
First promising thing I saw was a weight distributing hitch. Hopefully we see #s bigger than 5000 but my guess is that's where it will end up.

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
First promising thing I saw was a weight distributing hitch. Hopefully we see #s bigger than 5000 but my guess is that's where it will end up.
Needs to be at least 6K to match the Tacoma. My hope is it matches the GC's 7,200 lbs (in diesel trim)

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
JK can already tow more than 5,000lbs on export model, so it's pretty certain the JT will eclipse that.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Needs to be at least 6K to match the Tacoma. My hope is it matches the GC's 7,200 lbs (in diesel trim)
My guess is the diesel beats the GC, and crests at 7,500+, and the Pentastar beats the Tacoma (6,400) and does better than 6,500+, again with a slight bump over the GC.

The suspension is a true truck suspension with proper design considerations as seen in the CAD files, I think it's pretty easy for them to beat the GC.

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is the diesel beats the GC, and crests at 7,500+, and the Pentastar beats the Tacoma (6,400) and does better than 6,500+, again with a slight bump over the GC.

The suspension is a true truck suspension with proper design considerations as seen in the CAD files, I think it's pretty easy for them to beat the GC.
Anything over the GC will just be gravy IMO. So I would be stoked at or above GC levels.

JTman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
More pics of JT Gladiator Pickup tow testing, towing a twin-axle trailer, which is "probably rated around 7,000 pounds based on comparable trailers"

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-towing-5.jpg

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-towing-2.jpg

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-towing-11.jpg

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-towing-10.jpg

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-towing-4.jpg

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-towing-3.jpg

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-towing-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Wow the difference of the look from the JL to the JT is obvious. The first pic the rear sag is apparent with only a small u-haul trailer with the JL.
Love seeing the JT pulling a large trailer.

Sponsored

MuhThugga

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Pontiac GTO, 2008 Silverado, 1981 El Camino
Wow the difference of the look from the JL to the JT is obvious. The first pic the rear sag is apparent with only a small u-haul trailer with the JL.
Love seeing the JT pulling a large trailer.
It is good to see they are actually designing it to be a truck.

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.

And with tow ratings like that, it *could* be a Jeep for truck people! ;):)

I think it'd be awesome if they beat the Taco's tow rating, even if only by 100 lbs, just to be able to claim better towing & payload capacity than the Taco.