So why do people like roof top tents

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Legal weed and lots of crime and homeless. Last time I was downtown it looked like Barter Town from Mad Max. I moved out of the Old North End to escape a lot of the crime, but I still had a meth queen break into my new house.
Seriously? That’s a damn shame. Downtown along Tejon was getting pretty nice and the Old North End was a great neighborhood? WTH? That’s terrible to hear.
Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
They are trying to gentrify South Tejon. But it's rough. Tent cities etc.

Seriously? That’s a damn shame. Downtown along Tejon was getting pretty nice and the Old North End was a great neighborhood? WTH? That’s terrible to hear.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with both sides. We used to be ground tent peeps, but got sick of sleeping on an angle, on rocks. The time to setup decreased with the RTT, and we sleep WAY better and much warmer in the mountains. and no more inflatable mattresses. :) We deal with the issue of being able to leave camp by having an RTT trailer. So we hit camp, detach and level, and deploy the tent. It stays there until we break camp, and we can take our JT on day trips. It’s not like having a full camper trailer, so tows easily and stores easily. Not for everyone, but we love it.
Jeep Gladiator So why do people like roof top tents 552D6249-4D57-48C7-8D20-442FBB679498
Jeep Gladiator So why do people like roof top tents 020D5B21-36C1-4DC7-8517-3CE24C6FCCFD

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
They are trying to gentrify South Tejon. But it's rough. Tent cities etc.
Man that Is a shame we were in that area some years back and thought man this is wonderful. A friend of mine was living somewhere around Colorado Springs but moved. He said that the Cali crowd drove up the prices on everything and the area just wasn't the same anymore.

RobbertCole

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1997 Mustang GT
You know who mounts a tent on a gladiator way up above the roof line? Dopes, that's who.

I like mine because it's light, folds out like a pop tent, if I'm stopped I'm stopped for the night and I'm continuing on my journey the next day, I don't have to sleep on the ground like a peasant, a mattress is built in, bugs and scary mice can't get me.

The small Yakima skyrise is 92lbs or something like that. I don't even notice it on the rack. Because I am big masculine man and not a 12 year old girl I can lift it off by myself and let it sit in the corner of the garage the 356 days a year I'm not using it.

Jeep Gladiator So why do people like roof top tents PXL_20220114_202558997

Jeep Gladiator So why do people like roof top tents PXL_20211113_012601861

Jeep Gladiator So why do people like roof top tents PXL_20211113_165847749

Sponsored

citadelfox

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Physician Associate
I live in Vegas and where I camp it is generally uneven and rocky. I've found it very easy and quick to put a couple rocks under tires to level the jeep, and the tent is deployed in under a minute.

I'm able to camp comfortably in places that I would never be able to use a ground tent due to uneven and rocky ground.

Plus, how else would people know that I'm overland AF if I didn't have a tent on there?

With how I have mine mounted, I didn't notice any change in mpg, for what it's worth
Jeep Gladiator So why do people like roof top tents PXL_20211113_165847749
"Overland AF". That should be a T-shirt, or bumpersticker...

citadelfox

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Physician Associate
I know it's an old thread, but...

I love my Skycamp Mini. I have slept in truck beds with hard top, Softopper, ground tents, and hardshell Rooftop tents. The RTT is the most comfortable option, and I don't have to rearrange any cargo I may be hauling in the bed. A lot drier than the ground in a rain storm, and fuck tarantulas. Hell no.

PXL_20220828_011806517.jpg

PXL_20220828_014111553.jpg

PXL_20220828_014154221.jpg

graham5david

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel Rubicon
Occupation
RN
You know who mounts a tent on a gladiator way up above the roof line? Dopes, that's who.

I like mine because it's light, folds out like a pop tent, if I'm stopped I'm stopped for the night and I'm continuing on my journey the next day, I don't have to sleep on the ground like a peasant, a mattress is built in, bugs and scary mice can't get me.

The small Yakima skyrise is 92lbs or something like that. I don't even notice it on the rack. Because I am big masculine man and not a 12 year old girl I can lift it off by myself and let it sit in the corner of the garage the 356 days a year I'm not using it.

Jeep Gladiator So why do people like roof top tents PXL_20220828_014154221

Your response made ne laugh so hard. I remember someone asking about a lift for getting his mountain bike in the bed of his tacoma once. My reply was similar. Be a man. Pick it up and set it in the bed.

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professional
RTT all the way. Back injuries and ease of convenience to setup/pack down. Leave bags and pillows inside, a mattress that’s almost as nice as my bed in my house, and better views and useful windows from higher up, and rain protection…. It’s not a must for camping, but I’m not 12 and crawling around on leaves and rocks anymore trying to get comfortable; never going back to those days.

Haden

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport
Build Thread
Link
I ground camped for years and loved it. Got a Condor XL to lure my12 year old daughter into taking a month long camping trip with me and we had a great time. Favorite things about RTT camping: set up/break down time, awning with high ceiling, no worries with flooding, added breeze being up higher, and comfort of sleep. Cons: cost, cost, cost. I can’t just drive off and leave camp site, but most of my camping is on trail or at the end of the day, so not much of an issue for me.

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I camp often but just pitch it on the ground. Have a mountain hard wear 3 man, a go-lite shangiila 5, and a 6 person seek outside tipi. I use a kifaru medium stove in the tipi and shangrila.

it’s easy to ground camp; and then you can drive off to go to town, go to a deer stand, or go scouting on the fire roads.

What’s the purpose of camping on the roof? I can sure see why in Africa considering dangerous game and snakes, but what’s the advantage in the USA?

It must eat gas mileage too with all the stuff up top??
I agree with you 100%, think of the weight disadvantage to an RTT and how little space a pop tent takes. BUT that's my .02, I grew up camping, the Boy Scouts and 20 years in the Army.

Shit we have our own style and preference.......that's what being a Jeeper is all about.

Cheers

21Moja

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
I really enjoyed mine when I had it but have to admit the pricetags for these things have gotten way out of hand...I hated having mine on the Jeep all the time, if I were to do it again I would do small trailer, best of both worlds when you want to explore after setup.

Glad Jeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
As I've gotten older, I look at that ladder and think about a 2 AM trip to water the nearest tree.....yeah, NOPE!
This is the reason we choose not to do a RTT. We tried it for one weekend and the 2 am ladder issue and age was a major issue. We went with a trailer.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I really enjoyed mine when I had it but have to admit the pricetags for these things have gotten way out of hand...I hated having mine on the Jeep all the time, if I were to do it again I would do small trailer, best of both worlds when you want to explore after setup.
Agreed. We have one, and definitely don’t miss the ground camping, but we do have it on a small off road trailer. I don’t think we’d like it on the vehicle. We typically camp for 3-5 nights and really like having a base camp.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
This is the reason we choose not to do a RTT. We tried it for one weekend and the 2 am ladder issue and age was a major issue. We went with a trailer.
When we get older, I’m sure we’ll do the same. But in our 40’s we’re spending less money than a camp inside trailer and can still do the ladder. I admit I definitely find a tree right before bed to avoid the late night pit stop. We started by looking at off road tear drops, but the price tags were too high. The roof top tent trailer has been a good compromise for us. Like many have said though, they’re not for everyone.
Sponsored