Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
i am planning on weighing my rubi before any mods and then again after to see how much it changed.
Mine has changed so much at this point, I’m not sure it’s even worth it. It did handle a 9 rated trail on Friday like a champ. Not a single issue. Just rolled over it, including any available hard line choices. Then drove home 5.5 hours at 75. Couldn’t be happier with its progression.
Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Same as the Max tow or Rubicon. .75"/side, a total of 1.5" wider hub to hub.
I didn’t remember the measurement. Thanks. That’s helpful when lifting and gaining height, to offset roll issues, but why would they bother on the HA trim? It’s a mall crawler, but a good looking one.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I didn’t remember the measurement. Thanks. That’s helpful when lifting and gaining height, to offset roll issues, but why would they bother on the HA trim? It’s a mall crawler, but a good looking one.
It's basically identical to the Overland other than axle width and the fancy trim.
IF, still a big IF, if I trade, it could be one way to get the wider axles for more stable towing.
I'm a bit baffled, though, as to why a model with the higher end trim (like a Limited or higher Grand Cherokee??) would get the wider axles?
Makes no real sense to me.
The various levels of Grand Cherokee are mostly options and the higher you go, the more chrome and bling you get, more standard creature comforts - but why wider axles on the fancy trim Gladiator?

Now here's a real hoot - payload and towing for High Altitude - two different sources, different numbers for same truck -
They agree on towing of 6,000 pounds, identical to the Overland which is the same thing, really, but they are 100 pounds apart on payload. 1025 compared to 1124 for the same truck?

Jeep Gladiator So max towing or not. 1651464510315

Jeep Gladiator So max towing or not. 1651464550751

Jeep Gladiator So max towing or not. 1651464595447

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It's basically identical to the Overland other than axle width and the fancy trim.
IF, still a big IF, if I trade, it could be one way to get the wider axles for more stable towing.
I'm a bit baffled, though, as to why a model with the higher end trim (like a Limited or higher Grand Cherokee??) would get the wider axles?
Makes no real sense to me.
The various levels of Grand Cherokee are mostly options and the higher you go, the more chrome and bling you get, more standard creature comforts - but why wider axles on the fancy trim Gladiator?

Now here's a real hoot - payload and towing for High Altitude - two different sources, different numbers for same truck -
They agree on towing of 6,000 pounds, identical to the Overland which is the same thing, really, but they are 100 pounds apart on payload. 1025 compared to 1124 for the same truck?

One of them is the diesel.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
One of them is the diesel.
Yes, in the top chart, but I mean compare the gas from the top chart to the gas in the lower chart.
The top chart shows a payload of 1025 for gas.
The bottom chart (in TWO parts) shows a payload of 1124 - for gas.

JD Power agrees High Altitude MAX payload is 1124.
The other chart is way low and I guess proves - you can't believe every chart you see on the web about these. Doing searches for payload for some of the other trims gets conflicting numbers as well.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, in the top chart, but I mean compare the gas from the top chart to the gas in the lower chart.
The top chart shows a payload of 1025 for gas.
The bottom chart (in TWO parts) shows a payload of 1124 - for gas.

JD Power agrees High Altitude MAX payload is 1124.
The other chart is way low and I guess proves - you can't believe every chart you see on the web about these. Doing searches for payload for some of the other trims gets conflicting numbers as well.
Don’t disagree there, but 100lbs in either direction isn’t likely to matter under real world conditions. The vehicle will be slightly less efficient, but not unsafe. But if gvwr isn’t totally ignored and surpassed by high percentages, then of course there will be consequences.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
If I were to venture a guess, the wide axles probably allow for a bit more payload but the 3.73 gears and I'm guessing softer springs don't allow for the full GVWR of the Max Tow and Rubi.

Or in a probably more realistic take, Jeep didn't want to have it match the Max Tow payload because then there would be no reason to buy the Max Tow if you wanted the farkles.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If I were to venture a guess, the wide axles probably allow for a bit more payload but the 3.73 gears and I'm guessing softer springs don't allow for the full GVWR of the Max Tow and Rubi.
I had run that through my mind last night as well. You may be onto something.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don’t disagree there, but 100lbs in either direction isn’t likely to matter under real world conditions. The vehicle will be slightly less efficient, but not unsafe. But if gvwr isn’t totally ignored and surpassed by high percentages, then of course there will be consequences.
This was my point exactly. The truck doesn't suddenly explode when you reach the published limit. And it doesn't necessarily do well when you are just a bit under it.

The HA is a real truck. Its not an off road truck, but its a truck.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This was my point exactly. The truck doesn't suddenly explode when you reach the published limit. And it doesn't necessarily do well when you are just a bit under it.

Put different tires on it and it's exactly like mine but with the wider axles.
So, why isn't it an off-road truck? Too pretty?
Other than trim and wider axles, change shoes for outdoor play and it's identical.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Put different tires on it and it's exactly like mine but with the wider axles.
So, why isn't it an off-road truck? Too pretty?
Other than trim and wider axles, change shoes for outdoor play and it's identical.
I'm purely talking about tires.

People were saying its somehow less of a Jeep. My point is that in stock form, its a real jeep, it just isn't going to do well off road.

If you change tires, then like you said, its a fancier overland.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

You couldn’t be more right.

billfraley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
The altitude is a "sport". It just an option package on top of the sport. The altitude is a sport with the 24T package. A lot of delears get it confused with the High Altitude, because the marketing team at Jeep did a great job naming things.
The Altitude is a trim level. I can show you the Window Sticker if you like. It is different than a Sport but has some similarities to a Sport S. With the Altitude you get the better (not steel but better) bumpers and Fenders just like the Sport S. The Altitude also has unique interior and exterior appearance items as well as unique wheels. The standard options with an Altitude would cost you more to add to a Sport as optional equipment.

The main reason I chose the Altitude is because I just got rid of a heavy tow rig and no longer need that capability. I wouldn't have said no to Max Tow, it just wasn't a requirement for this vehicle and my needs. I like the standard upgrades offered by the Altitude and I prefer a blacked out appearance. I mostly wanted a Jeep to take the top off and to have basic offroad/trail capability. I am not looking to do any serious off-roading. If that was my goal I would start with an older used Wrangler. That is just my point of view on the whole thing with Max Tow and not needing the wider axles either.

By the time I am ready for another one, those needs could change.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The Altitude is a trim level. I can show you the Window Sticker if you like. It is different than a Sport but has some similarities to a Sport S. With the Altitude you get the better (not steel but better) bumpers and Fenders just like the Sport S. The Altitude also has unique interior and exterior appearance items as well as unique wheels. The standard options with an Altitude would cost you more to add to a Sport as optional equipment.

The main reason I chose the Altitude is because I just got rid of a heavy tow rig and no longer need that capability. I wouldn't have said no to Max Tow, it just wasn't a requirement for this vehicle and my needs. I like the standard upgrades offered by the Altitude and I prefer a blacked out appearance. I mostly wanted a Jeep to take the top off and to have basic offroad/trail capability. I am not looking to do any serious off-roading. If that was my goal I would start with an older used Wrangler. That is just my point of view on the whole thing with Max Tow and not needing the wider axles either.

By the time I am ready for another one, those needs could change.
No, it's a SPORT. Code JTJL98
I can show you the order guide! The altitude is a package for the SPORT.
It's not a trim level.
Altitude is shown on the Sport pages of the order guide. There is no distinct code for an Altitude trim level
Trim levels are
Sport JTJL98
Overland JTJP98
Rubicon JTJS98
Mojave JTJH98
Anything else is based on one of those.
High Altitude is a package for Overland
Altitude is a package for Sport
Willys is a package for Sport.
When an Altitude is ordered, they start with the Sport code.
Max tow code for Sport Altitude is AJQ

Here ya go - Sport order guide and all of the possible Sport special packages -

Jeep Gladiator So max towing or not. Screenshot 2022-06-22 12.11.38 PM

billfraley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
No, it's a SPORT. Code JTJL98
I can show you the order guide! The altitude is a package for the SPORT.
It's not a trim level.
Altitude is shown on the Sport pages of the order guide. There is no distinct code for an Altitude trim level
Trim levels are
Sport JTJL98
Overland JTJP98
Rubicon JTJS98
Mojave JTJH98
Anything else is based on one of those.
High Altitude is a package for Overland
Altitude is a package for Sport
Willys is a package for Sport.
When an Altitude is ordered, they start with the Sport code.
Max tow code for Sport Altitude is AJQ

Here ya go - Sport order guide and all of the possible Sport special packages -

Jeep Gladiator So max towing or not. Screenshot 2022-06-22 12.11.38 PM
The order process does not mean it is not a trim level. Go to the Jeep site and compare models and you will see the Altitude as a separate model. You can not build and price a Sport with an Altitude option package. Once you order with certain package codes, the model of the vehicle can change. So, just because you begin an order with a Sport does not make it a sport. This is not unique to Jeep either.

The order system has base, from which you can configure different trim levels. I work for HPE and our order system can create many different server models from a single base. But they are still specific server models.

When the Window sticker is created, there is zero mention of Sport. It is just a way for the order system to determine the correct final trim level. They are selling this to the customer as an Altitude TRIM LEVEL, not a Sport with Altitude package. I just sold my 21 Ram 3500 BigHorn and it had the Night Edition option package. The Window sticker did not become Night Edition because that is a package available to most Trim levels on the Ram.
Sponsored