Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
There is literally no state where being 10lbs over would matter because it would be nigh impossible to prove. As someone else said, I'd love to see a single instance of anyone being reasonably around payload getting any kind of ticket. Keep in mind that 100 pounds is only 1.5% over weight given the gwr of the trucks.
Actually. It can be proven. A few years ago there were a good 5 or so states that were putting up check stations on various highway routes and actively weighing every single vehicle they wanted. Cars probably got a free pass, but it wasn't just commercial trucks. Non-commercial pickups were even being checked, weighed, and if found over weight, forced to go no further until that weight was reduced. Now how much of a threshold they were going by, I have no clue... But it was a pretty big deal that sparked a lot of discussions.

My example of 10 pounds may sound dumb, and one could argue that for a couple pounds you could throw your food on the side of the road but irregardless you cannot argue with the fact that over GVW is over GVW. Period. 55 in a 50 is 5 over. Period. Nobody can argue that. Do I agree that there should be all these restrictions placed on people? He!! no... But nobody can argue that it is 'over'. But some pickups that had campers that put them a thousand pounds or so over GVW were in a bad way. I was previously looking at the Alu-Cab as an option, but fully built out and with gear and another person or a dog it easily puts someone 500 pound over GVW. Not only is that illegal and possibly a really big deal in a insurance claim if you were at fault, but its also a lot of extra wear and tear on a vehicle - and I'm not a millionaire that can just replace a frame or axle like it's no big deal like others who apparently are. Now if people in this country weren't in such a disgustingly obvious hurry all the time, and a person could easily cruise around the highways at 35-40, then it wouldn't probably be as big of a deal. But these days everybody and their brother have this disgusting need to get places instantaneously and are flying around the highway 20 over almost all the time (in my area anyway) - so the risk factor increases substantially when something goes bad it goes really bad. Case in point - in a 20 mile stretch along the interstate near my house, 10 fatalities this winter alone, and more that 20 10+ car pile-ups. No joke.... Because people and truck drivers were in too big of a hurry to just slow down in winter conditions. Just dumb.

Also irregardless of that fact, over weight is over weight. Will the vehicle handle it - probably. I am more than confident engineers design vehicles to handle more than advertised because people do dumb stuff, like jumps when fully loaded - however, it could come down to a denied warranty claim - or in the case of being pulled over by a jerk of a cop, could result in dropped insurance and fines. I would rather not find out the hard way. But to each their own - but if I ever get smashed by another vehicle that even looks close to weight you can bet your butt I'm taking it to court to get weights checked.
Sponsored

injaneer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2017 Jeep Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Shhhhhh dont point out the obvious. These will end up just like the rubicon. Buyers will take off all the shiny bits and sell them to the rest of us at their own loss. All we need to do is get the sport s max tow and snatch up the goodies we want.
Been doing this ;)

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Actually. It can be proven. A few years ago there were a good 5 or so states that were putting up check stations on various highway routes and actively weighing every single vehicle they wanted. Cars probably got a free pass, but it wasn't just commercial trucks. Non-commercial pickups were even being checked, weighed, and if found over weight, forced to go no further until that weight was reduced. Now how much of a threshold they were going by, I have no clue... But it was a pretty big deal that sparked a lot of discussions.
What were they using to determine over weight on the truck? In no states that I know of is that sticker a legal binding guide because it isn't based on any actual standard formula. Rather it is based on each state's calculations. Florida for example goes by tires, axle rating, and space between the axle and license type. That sticker has no bearing on if it's illegal or not.

Again, not saying go hog wild at 2k pounds over, but 10 pounds under isn't any safer than 10 pounds over some stickers number.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I'm interested in seeing more on this.

At first glance a campaign like this going for anything non-commercial seems like a massive waste of department time and dollars for something that takes considerable effort to try and prove. And it has little benefit outside the commercial trucks. Hence why they have weigh stations and regulations for commercial trucks to use them. Hard to apply commercial regs to non-commercial vehicles.

Do you have any kind of source?

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
What were they using to determine over weight on the truck? In no states that I know of is that sticker a legal binding guide because it isn't based on any actual standard formula. Rather it is based on each state's calculations. Florida for example goes by tires, axle rating, and space between the axle and license type. That sticker has no bearing on if it's illegal or not.

Again, not saying go hog wild at 2k pounds over, but 10 pounds under isn't any safer than 10 pounds over some stickers number.
That's interesting Flordia goes by tires and axles. Every state is quite a bit different it seems on their rules. Even where I am now compared to other states I have lived are all different. Makes it confusing no doubt. But they were using actual scales. They had 2 types. Big ones for the big rigs of course, and smaller ones you usually see at race tracks for passenger/non-commercial vehicles. They were actually weighing them on the spot.

GVW is legally binding I am pretty sure. Your GAWR front and rear usually includes a 'reserve' rating, and that added up should equal the GVWR on the sticker. I'm 99% confident that is legally binding - as in if you were over that then you could (depending on the prosecutor I suppose) be held liable. I would be interested in seeing documentation that states otherwise.... because that would be a big bonus and see a lot of people from worry.

I'm interested in seeing more on this.

At first glance a campaign like this going for anything non-commercial seems like a massive waste of department time and dollars for something that takes considerable effort to try and prove. And it has little benefit outside the commercial trucks. Hence why they have weigh stations and regulations for commercial trucks to use them. Hard to apply commercial regs to non-commercial vehicles.

Do you have any kind of source?
Yeah it was a waste IMO as well and I haven't seen anything like that in the past several years, but for a bit of time it was a very real thing. I mean I got weighed in a passenger car even. There's bigger problems to be dealing with.... I mean some places have problems but those problems usually are a result of big trucks being over weight and causing road damage. Although that's not to say that an overweight pickup killing someone because they can't stop at a stop light like normal isn't also a problem (I've seen that personally more than once). But I do see plenty of big trucks on the side of the road being weighed on the spot and plenty of them are over weight and get shut down. Maybe it's just the luck of my draw but I have seen it a lot.

Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah it was a waste IMO as well and I haven't seen anything like that in the past several years, but for a bit of time it was a very real thing. I mean I got weighed in a passenger car even. There's bigger problems to be dealing with.... I mean some places have problems but those problems usually are a result of big trucks being over weight and causing road damage. Although that's not to say that an overweight pickup killing someone because they can't stop at a stop light like normal isn't also a problem (I've seen that personally more than once). But I do see plenty of big trucks on the side of the road being weighed on the spot and plenty of them are over weight and get shut down. Maybe it's just the luck of my draw but I have seen it a lot.
Elaborate on this a bit more. What is a "big truck"? What are they using to weigh them, and do they have to bring those in via truck to each stop? Are you sure they were pulled over for weight issues and not some other initial traffic violation that they then did the full check on (which begs the question, how can they pull you over for weight alone without evidence of an infraction)? How do you know they are being "shut down", and what exactly does that mean? Honestly, this all sounds like you're describing commercial vehicles at a weigh station type scenario (without the weigh station?) that you happen to notice as you drive by them in a few seconds and assumed what was happening. Not someone hauling stuff with a Gladiator. It still doesn't add up without a source or some kind of evidence. I do lots of hauling so I'd like to be in the know if something like this is actually occurring. The only way I could see this remotely being the case and them pulling you over specifically for a weight check is if you're severely overloaded, not 10 or 20 pounds over. No offense, but things like this need a bit more than anecdotal evidence.

Last edited:

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
? What are they using to weigh them, and do they have to bring those in to each stop? Are you sure they were pulled over for weight issues and not some other traffic violation? How do you know they are being "shut down", and what exactly does that mean? Honestly, this all sounds like you're describing commercial vehicles at a weigh station type scenario (without the weigh station?) that you happen to notice as you drive by them in a few seconds and assumed what was happening. Not someone hauling stuff with a Gladiator. It still doesn't add up without a source or some kind of evidence. I do lots of hauling so I'd like to be in the know if som
big truck = commercial tractor trailer or any vehicle with a certified and registered DOT number on it - any vehicle required by law to stop at a weigh station.

They were being pulled over randomly. How do I know? Because I was on one of the stretches of interstate highways that was literally shut down as in cones and police forcing everybody onto the rest stop exit (not just a offramp mind you so nobody could 'escape). And I was not in a commercial vehicle. Some were let through. Many were weighed. Yes it was a big deal. And yes this happened more than once and in more than one state. So it was a real thing. It was not just a commercial thing. It included a separate line for non-commercial private vehicles. Non-commercial vehicles were also being weighed. It could have been some sort of weird sting I suppose, but over a period of time in more than one state (and not all border states either) makes me think not. I haven't seen such a thing in many years.

Irregardless of that - the fact is GVWR is GVWR. And if something happened, insurance, to all my knowledge, does have the right to weigh your vehicle to determine if you were or were not over weight. Where things could go from there who knows. But why take that risk?

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Irregardless of that - the fact is GVWR is GVWR. And if something happened, insurance, to all my knowledge, does have the right to weigh your vehicle to determine if you were or were not over weight. Where things could go from there who knows. But why take that risk?
I agree with this, but let's not pretend that if you happen to be 10 lbs over that you're going to get pulled over. Not the case. As I said, you'd need to be pretty severely overloaded to make them even consider weighing you at a traffic stop.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
What are they using to weigh them, and do they have to bring those in via truck to each stop?
Our state police have portable scales they carry in the commercial enforcement vehicles.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Actually the high altitude can carry just a smidge less than the Mojave or Rubicon.

The reality is that the HA is no more dumb than the well optioned street oriented F150s you see. Which is all of them. Because even the "off road" factory trucks come with big wheels and small tires and have little to no ground clearance.

Also. A HA might be a reasonable place to start if you wanted to build an off-road truck that had a truly fancy luxury interior. Maybe not. But its a thought. Though as I run through costs, you would probably be. better off starting with an Overland.

1648563758543.png
Not sure where your list comes from, but it's not accurate for my Overland. And the HA is $200 cheaper than an identically optioned Overland (which is odd but it's the fact that each come with certain standards and combinations different from the other)

I like how the HA looks, if someone has zero plans to modify it. Otherwise, I think you’ve spent extra cash on painted plastic bumpers and 20” wheels that will end up as takeoffs.
On the other hand, it gets the wider axles.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Regardless , the HA is a real truck. That's my only point. I"m not going to debate what version has highest payload with what option. The HA has similar payload to the Mojave and Rubicon.
By your chart (which is not correct according to the sticker pics I have) you show only about 40 pounds difference - 1080 to 1120 (rough numbers from your chart) shows only 40 pounds between Overland and Overland High Altitude - so by that logic, Overland has a similar payload to Rubicon and Mojave.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure where your list comes from, but it's not accurate for my Overland. And the HA is $200 cheaper than an identically optioned Overland (which is odd but it's the fact that each come with certain standards and combinations different from the other)

On the other hand, it gets the wider axles.
Yes, but by what, 1/2 inch?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
yes I know how to check for one.
Maybe the old-school type but these allow you to raise one rear wheel up and turn it with the other on the ground. There's no preload apparently.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase