4500lb max towing with manual trans on Rubi

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
And that works perfect for you. That's the thing that keeps me from getting all judgy of other's uses of a Jeep, we are ALL here because it's a fun vehicle. If a stick shift is a factor in the fun, hell ya do it. I'm just answering off of what official word and other speculation has revealed... the 6-speed stick isn't as over-engineered as the slushbox so it won't necessarily last as long. The part that sucks is that Jeep gives an official tow rating and now if you exceed that and something goes awry... they aren't liable.
So for real, would you buy the auto because you worry you might blow up the manual? Or is this you still buy the manual even though the auto has better design in it?
Sponsored

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
I towed a 6,000 lbs. boat with a manual TJ Rubicon to and from the marina a few times per year. Never had any issue with it, sure it put an extra strain on the trans. but after a few years it never showed any signs of having problems. I was 100% manual trans, but lately I am undecided. I like manual, but the added tow rating has me thinking since I want a travel camper.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I'm back on the fence. That auto is obvious choice. But shifting is good times.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
I’m back in the fence because I just priced out JLUs in Sport S / Auto and Rubi / Manual, and by the time I got them both where i wanted them they were only $1500 apart - and that’s without the JL having a ‘max tow’ option...

Man, if a Sport S with Max Tow is going to cost that close to a Rubi, and all I have to give up is a little towing capacity, I might be back in the Rubi camp.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
So for real, would you buy the auto because you worry you might blow up the manual? Or is this you still buy the manual even though the auto has better design in it?
Well, I plan to get an automatic because I hate my commute on snowy days when I have to ride the clutch. I enjoy driving a stick, and some of the perks, but it isn't essential to my driving enjoyment.

Sponsored

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I’m back in the fence because I just priced out JLUs in Sport S / Auto and Rubi / Manual, and by the time I got them both where i wanted them they were only $1500 apart - and that’s without the JL having a ‘max tow’ option...
So... we don't have a price for these things yet.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
So... we don't have a price for these things yet.
Of course not, but the relative pricing between trims and options will most likely be similar - I can't see them charging $2500 for an option on the JT that they charge $1500 for on the JL.

If a Darren-optioned JL Sport S is $1500 less than a Darren-optioned JL Rubi, then that'd likely be close to the difference I would expect to see on the JT. Even if it's $2k instead of $1.5k, that's still close enough for me to want to jump up.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Of course not, but the relative pricing between trims and options will most likely be similar - I can't see them charging $2500 for an option on the JT that they charge $1500 for on the JL.

If a Darren-optioned JL Sport S is $1500 less than a Darren-optioned JL Rubi, then that'd likely be close to the difference I would expect to see on the JT. Even if it's $2k instead of $1.5k, that's still close enough for me to want to jump up.
Sure sure, I agree on that... but if you look at some of these JT packages, they're missing parts that are in a comparable JL and it seems like some packages include parts of others. It just feels kind of thrown together for options on the JT still. I only challenge a price because I've done the same thing and I just have to think that Jeep will make some last minute package switches when they put a price on there. The convenience package is ONLY garage door openers? Cold weather doesn't include remote start?

I'll be frustrated if its that close of a price between Rubicon and an optioned Max Tow Sport S... because I don't want the front/rear lockers & t-case, but I'll find myself in the same position as you, feeling like I should get the fancier package because it just makes more sense. As it is, I already plan to upgrade my wheels, put 33" tires on and look for Rubicon take-off parts.

Back on the topic of towing capacity, I'm going with an automatic... so have nothing to contribute to the conversation there, but even if I did, I would be well within my towing goals if I could pull 4500, let alone 7000. (I'll never try 7650 lbs.)

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Sure sure, I agree on that... but if you look at some of these JT packages, they're missing parts that are in a comparable JL and it seems like some packages include parts of others. It just feels kind of thrown together for options on the JT still. I only challenge a price because I've done the same thing and I just have to think that Jeep will make some last minute package switches when they put a price on there. The convenience package is ONLY garage door openers? Cold weather doesn't include remote start?

I'll be frustrated if its that close of a price between Rubicon and an optioned Max Tow Sport S... because I don't want the front/rear lockers & t-case, but I'll find myself in the same position as you, feeling like I should get the fancier package because it just makes more sense. As it is, I already plan to upgrade my wheels, put 33" tires on and look for Rubicon take-off parts.

Back on the topic of towing capacity, I'm going with an automatic... so have nothing to contribute to the conversation there, but even if I did, I would be well within my towing goals if I could pull 4500, let alone 7000. (I'll never try 7650 lbs.)

Important to know - *my* optioned options were based around getting 4.10s, wide axles, and CarPlay/Uconnect 4. Those constraints mean a Sport S with an Auto and a stereo upgrade or a Rubi with a stick and no upgrade needed - the tranny difference is an extra $2k right there. If your needs are not mine you will likely have a very different choice to make...

Jeep4sale

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xj cherocheap
So I reached out to Jeep for an explanation as to why the JT manual has a lower tow capacity. Their response was clutch life. I asked. No safety issues just clutch life.

So I’ll be getting a manual and plan to replace the clutch at 50k rather than 100k

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
So I reached out to Jeep for an explanation as to why the JT manual has a lower tow capacity. Their response was clutch life. I asked. No safety issues just clutch life.

So I’ll be getting a manual and plan to replace the clutch at 50k rather than 100k
did you talk to an engineer, or somebody in customer service?

Some customer service people loath their jobs and will say WHATEVER they think sounds good.

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
did you talk to an engineer, or somebody in customer service?

Some customer service people loath their jobs and will say WHATEVER they think sounds good.
that sounds good to me

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase

Now I'm more undecided. I hope that's good info. I'll have to do some more research on that.

IWantAJeepGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I test drove a manual trans JLUR yesterday and it was interesting. Very light pedal. Long before it actually grabs. Still fun as heck, but the dealer acted like I was crazy asking about it considering how good the auto supposedly is.

avc8130

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
I test drove a manual trans JLUR yesterday and it was interesting. Very light pedal. Long before it actually grabs. Still fun as heck, but the dealer acted like I was crazy asking about it considering how good the auto supposedly is.
Of course he did...the auto is $2k more. Higher price, higher profit.
Sponsored