Max Tow/Manual Trans

FrankInNordale

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Does anyone know why the max tow is available on the Rubicon with a manual trans, but on a Sport it requires an automatic?
Sponsored

Centexan

First Name
Coleburn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ram 2500
Does anyone know why the max tow is available on the Rubicon with a manual trans, but on a Sport it requires an automatic?
Well, there isn't a Max Tow package Rubicon, it is just a Rubicon. Jeep figures that there are people that want a GR that aren't interested in towing and want a manual, so they have it.

The manual transmission is limited by the clutch to 4500# towing. The max tow package was created for best in class towing, and for those people that wanted that capability. There is no point in putting the max tow parts on a vehicle, and then limiting it to 4500# because of the clutch.

OP
OP

FrankInNordale

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Well, there isn't a Max Tow package Rubicon, it is just a Rubicon. Jeep figures that there are people that want a GR that aren't interested in towing and want a manual, so they have it.

The manual transmission is limited by the clutch to 4500# towing. The max tow package was created for best in class towing, and for those people that wanted that capability. There is no point in putting the max tow parts on a vehicle, and then limiting it to 4500# because of the clutch.
That makes sense. I think I meant to say 4.10 axle ratio that includes the max tow and upgraded axles. I'm really looking to add the upgraded axles and 4.10 gears with a manual trans. This is available the Rubicon, but not the Sport.

I'm going to update the title.... if I can?

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Good answer! So I can get wide track and 4:10 at the cheapest Rubi level because manual. Adding that to mix of options. Price please!!!

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Good answer! So I can get wide track and 4:10 at the cheapest Rubi level because manual. Adding that to mix of options. Price please!!!
You can but still only 4500 towing with Rubicon and manual trans with tow package. No max tow package.

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
You can but still only 4500 towing with Rubicon and manual trans with tow package. No max tow package.
Yeah, but I want wide track and 4:10 more than towing. So I can get a manual transmission, wide, 4:10, but only on a Rubi? Then need to delete power doors though, and can't on rubi. I've got choices to make. If end up with that first silver overland in first commercial because simpleton impulse buy, lmao...

Centexan

First Name
Coleburn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ram 2500
Yeah, but I want wide track and 4:10 more than towing. So I can get a manual transmission, wide, 4:10, but only on a Rubi? Then need to delete power doors though, and can't on rubi. I've got choices to make. If end up with that first silver overland in first commercial because simpleton impulse buy, lmao...
I personally wish they would make a Max Tow overland. I want the higher towing with the nicer trim, but I don't need the Rubicon bits.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I think the reason they don't spread some of the Sport options to Overland is because realistically there isn't that much of a difference. I think you can get leather on the JL Sahara/JT Overland trim, right? But are there any other differences that you can't get on the Sport S an an option? I can't think of any off the top of my head. I'm sure there are a few, but the differences between Sport S and Overland are very minimal.

As far as the axles go, I think the wide track axles are only 1.5" wider, which obviously is only 0.75" per side, and the internals are the same (minus the lockers for Rubicon models). So there isn't really that much difference between axles either. In fact, apparently even the Rubicons now use the less robust ball bearing style pinion bearings, rather than the roller pin bearings of the previous generation D44.

Centexan

First Name
Coleburn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ram 2500
I think the reason they don't spread some of the Sport options to Overland is because realistically there isn't that much of a difference. I think you can get leather on the JL Sahara/JT Overland trim, right? But are there any other differences that you can't get on the Sport S an an option? I can't think of any off the top of my head. I'm sure there are a few, but the differences between Sport S and Overland are very minimal.

As far as the axles go, I think the wide track axles are only 1.5" wider, which obviously is only 0.75" per side, and the internals are the same (minus the lockers for Rubicon models). So there isn't really that much difference between axles either. In fact, apparently even the Rubicons now use the less robust ball bearing style pinion bearings, rather than the roller pin bearings of the previous generation D44.
Leather, Nav, and the advanced safety group are the ones I am looking for.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
That makes sense. I think I meant to say 4.10 axle ratio that includes the max tow and upgraded axles. I'm really looking to add the upgraded axles and 4.10 gears with a manual trans. This is available the Rubicon, but not the Sport.

I'm going to update the title.... if I can?
Likely because the beefier axles and 4.10s are a selling point for the Rubi, so if you could add them to a sport really cheaply it would cut in to Rubi sales.

Sponsored

Kdmerchant

First Name
Ketan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Gobi Rubicon
Does anyone think the 1.5 inch wider stance of the max tow package will visibly appear better, bolder or more aggressive? Or will 0.75 inches per wheel be lost on a vehicle that size?

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone think the 1.5 inch wider stance of the max tow package will visibly appear better, bolder or more aggressive? Or will 0.75 inches per wheel be lost on a vehicle that size?
It will definitely be better looking!! JTR!!
Sponsored