Sponsored

4500lb max towing with manual trans on Rubi

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
Diesel towing will be less than the 3.6 (and of course no manual)

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sh...5880/jeep-gladiator-pickup-diesel-tow-rating/

From the article:

The cooling needs presented a challenge: The 3.o-liter EcoDiesel V6 engine, available on the Gladiator at a later date, will be a powerhouse, cranking out 442 lb-ft of torque. But it won't achieve the full 7650-lb towing capacity of the base Gladiator engine, the 3.6-liter Pentastar V6. Simply put, the turbodiesel's charge-air cooler eats up some of the airflow coming through the grille, slightly reducing the effective cooling area. Towing numbers are still being finalized for the diesel Gladiator, but expect its towing capacity to be about 500 pounds lower than the gasser.

i hope the cooling isnt an issue if its a problem in your climate itll be useless here just like the xj jeeps were as soon as you made them work they just blew a head gasket if this thing wont stay cool ill buy a 79 series landcruiser like the rest of the country i was hoping they would have it sorted by now how long can a company make vehicles & not learn surely they have to of figured it out every body else can get it right
Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
- The manual transmission doesn't have the torque capacity that the ZF automatics do.
This.
The 6 speed was designed for the Wrangler, not for a truck.
(sucks tho)

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
You have to figure they're not putting any engineering dollars into improving the stick since it's on it's way the way out. They upgraded the automatic from JK to JL and obviously are continuing to research/design for more horsepower/torque from their automatics.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
You have to figure they're not putting any engineering dollars into improving the stick since it's on it's way the way out. They upgraded the automatic from JK to JL and obviously are continuing to research/design for more horsepower/torque from their automatics.
While I see your point, but the standard tranny was brand new for the JL. So they must be doing some new engineering for the manual, maybe not to the extent us purist would like to see.

avc8130

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
This is somewhat disappointing to me, but I think I'll be able to survive. The primary reason I was excited for the truck was a safer towing experience pulling my Coleman Evolution 3 camper trailer. Right now I yank it with my JKUR Manual. I use a brake controller and have air bags in the rear. I'm confident the trailer load is ~3500 and probably more like 4k pounds. The JKUR survives, but I wouldn't say it is a confident or relaxing experience. I do LOVE driving manual transmissions. So since the announcement of the JT I've been salivating over a significantly increased tow rating. 7k for the Rubicon really got me excited. Now to see 4500 I'm a bit more disappointed, but I still think I might go for the manual. My thinking is this: I haven't killed the JKUR manual yet. 90%+ of my miles are driving around without the trailer and I LOVE the manual experience. That 10% of the time with the trailer should still be vastly improved over my current setup thanks to the longer wheelbase and more trailer-oriented rear suspension design. I think I'll get the benefits I am looking for, even if I don't have potential to significantly increase my trailer load in the future.

Tly6E8Gf_ZGX43tP2sbQW738FAccESffyDgxfqulXA4QGrT3DJ2w6xW1mWeGMpG2dleI88uib2InURukMQ=w1218-h913-no.jpg

ac

Sponsored

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I am in exactly the same boat. I pull an Evolution E3. It’s modified with dual 6 V batteries and a receiver hitch with bike rack on the back. Loaded and full of water I come in at 4600 pounds. I really really want a manual. I am currently pulling with a Chevy Colorado V8 and airbags on the rear springs. I know I’m going to take a hit on pulling capability with a manual/pentastar Gladiator. Utah has some pretty substantial mountains. The decision is largely emotional. I hope I’m not making a mistake.

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I have to have a pickup truck and miss running around in a Defender D90 with the top off. Western climate provided enough sunny days to where, eventually, I quit putting the top on, even in the winter. Yes. I really miss that. So does my dog. I find it interesting that the Colorado advises a Load distribution hitch when approaching the limits. No mention of that yet from jeep unless I’m missing something. I have a hard time worrying too much about the clutch. I think it’s largely a matter of how you drive. I’m more concerned with the frame set up and highway stability. Evolution campers set up rather high and can become unstable much more easily than standard pop-ups. I’m hoping the Gladiator’s wheelbase helps in this regard. I would also like 35 inch tires and I’m hopeful that side flex doesn’t reduce stability too much. Thoughts?

avc8130

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
I try not to think about my E3 too much behind the Wrangler. It gets the job done with weight distribution and antisway, and obviously a brake controller. I'm planning a MANUAL Gladiator. If the suspension and brakes can handle 6k lbs with an auto, I'm sure from a SAFETY standpoint you'll be fine at 4600lbs. No one but the Jeep engineers knows just what the weak link was, but it must be after the engine and before the transfer case. Pretty much either the clutch or the trans itself.

ac

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I think the issue with the tow limit on manual, and where people will suffer, is engine/transmission wear. If you're pulling a 4600 lb trailer w/ a manual, you can just expect to need to get work done on your transmission/clutch in a couple of years. At least the brakes will still be good.

Sponsored

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I see in your picture that you are using a weight distribution hitch. Sitting pretty level. Which hitch are you using? Are you happy with it?

avc8130

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
I think the issue with the tow limit on manual, and where people will suffer, is engine/transmission wear. If you're pulling a 4600 lb trailer w/ a manual, you can just expect to need to get work done on your transmission/clutch in a couple of years. At least the brakes will still be good.
Yeah, sure, maybe. But realistically, just how often is the average person towing vs driving around unloaded in a vehicle like this? This isn't the type of vehicle you buy to put a gooseneck in the back and run hot shots all week. This is the type of vehicle you buy to enjoy daily and maybe get out towing a few weekends and maybe a big trip here and there.

If I have to buy a clutch every 50k I will still be happier than having to drive an auto daily.

avc8130

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
I see in your picture that you are using a weight distribution hitch. Sitting pretty level. Which hitch are you using? Are you happy with it?
I honestly don't remember the brand. It was included from the previous owner when I bought the trailer. It's just one of the typical onces that uses the chains to the bars. The anti-sway is the generic brake pad style from etrailer. I also put air bags in the rear coils. It rides very level.

ac

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I’ll be dropping in performance from a 5.3 Chevrolet V8 to a 3.6 Pentastar V6. That concerns me above 7,000 ft. Are you happy with the power output?

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Yeah, sure, maybe. But realistically, just how often is the average person towing vs driving around unloaded in a vehicle like this? This isn't the type of vehicle you buy to put a gooseneck in the back and run hot shots all week. This is the type of vehicle you buy to enjoy daily and maybe get out towing a few weekends and maybe a big trip here and there.

If I have to buy a clutch every 50k I will still be happier than having to drive an auto daily.
And that works perfect for you. That's the thing that keeps me from getting all judgy of other's uses of a Jeep, we are ALL here because it's a fun vehicle. If a stick shift is a factor in the fun, hell ya do it. I'm just answering off of what official word and other speculation has revealed... the 6-speed stick isn't as over-engineered as the slushbox so it won't necessarily last as long. The part that sucks is that Jeep gives an official tow rating and now if you exceed that and something goes awry... they aren't liable.
Sponsored