First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT Manager
Bought another new battery for my cordless hedge trimmer and leaf blower yesterday because by the end of year two they'll only run about 5 minutes on a full charge.

Pretty much every cordless rechargeable thing I have is like that.

Then there's the underpowered grid nightmares of Texas and California that make you wonder why they keep pushing EVs when they don't have enough power to run the ACs.

For now I'll keep pumping and enjoying longer drives interrupted by five minute refills.

Just call me Jedediah 🤷🏻‍♂️
Spoiler; Gas stations require electricity too.

I also own an VW iD4, all electric and it’s great. Costs me around 3 cents a mile to drive while the Gladiator costs around 23 cents a mile @ $4.25 a gallon. A year later, our battery is just as strong as when we first received it. Fast Charging is really, really fast - I can get 200 miles in 40 minutes. Sure, this is longer than a gas fill-up but I simply tie it to picking up some groceries, a bathroom run, a quick phone call, etc etc.

I think more people should have an EV for around town driving and short trips and an ICE or PHEV (4xE) for long trips for the next 5 years. WIthin 5 years, faster chargers will be everywhere, including trail heads.

People can fight the take over of EV over ICE, but it’s going to happen. All it takes is Cali to truly go through with the ICE ban and you won’t be able to purchase an ICE in America because the companies aren’t going to make both ICE and EV for too long.

JTsGarage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
The Recon looks to be a similar idea of the Bronco Sport to the Bronco. At least they didn't call it a Wrangler. Why does the Wagoneer need to be completely redesigned in looks for an BEV? Just use the existing looks and add a battery pack under the floor. I like the boxier look of the current versus the swoops of the rendering.
The Wagoneer BEV is an addition to the Wagoneer brand stable. The BEV isn't replacing the existing GW or Wagoneer models. Those models will eventually go electric, too, but still be big, truck-based people haulers.

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
The Recon looks like a unibody crossover. Why do you need locking axles on an EV, just use four motors and you have infinitely variable traction at each corner.

I have a feeling this going all in on EV is going to backfire from a financial perspective. Regardless of what the politicians and leftists want you to believe, EV is still very niche from the standpoint of sales volume. The fact is they aren’t ready to replace ICE for most Americans and the sales numbers reflect that. Combine that with energy crises in both CA and Europe (eliminate ICE but don’t charge your EV LOL!) and the fact that the average EV costs over $10k more than ICE, and there’s a long road to travel. Combine that with people pulling their heads out of their asses and realizing that their EV is actually powered by coal and their batteries are raped from the Earth by child slave labor, but hey at least you get to virtue signal as green!

Sponsored

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
Sooooo
When I drove 2+ hrs to go offroad, and then I stress the batteries to the point where they need recharging and I am in the middle of nowhere
Do I plug into a Tree or a Rock?

Cause those are my 2 options when I am 4wheeling.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
California - “we want to mandate all EVs by 2035!”

Also California - “don’t charge your EVs. Oh, and set your thermostats to 78° or higher. If you don’t, we will do it for you.”

This is not the future.
Wish I could see the thermostat in the governor's mansion.

Years ago we were in San Francisco. Took a tour bus to Napa. The driver told me about how his dad ran a gas station when they were rationing under Reagan. Said the governor's limo came in to fill up but the plate didn't qualify for that day, so he refused to pump.
After that they came down hard on him with BS inspections and violations, eventually forcing him out.

Few things have changed out there since then. We witnessed it numerous times during the lockdowns.

This isn't intended to be political. It's just facts.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Biggest issue with EV remains to be resolved - how to cost effectively fix a decaying battery life.

as of right now there’s no longevity in these vehicles -
The absolute largest issue with EV's is.....where do the batteries go?

These lithium batteries will end up in a mountain shoved inside hoping they don't catch fire like our nuclear waste. There is no commercially implemented solution for recycling these batteries. The options cost 4x what making new cells cost.

Almost every part of a modern combustion vehicle is recycled. Rubber goes to roads, iron goes back to iron, aluminum back to the aluminum plant....all of it. Oil everything is recycled and has value.

Where do you lithium battery cells go? :)

Sponsored

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Sooooo
When I drove 2+ hrs to go offroad, and then I stress the batteries to the point where they need recharging and I am in the middle of nowhere
Do I plug into a Tree or a Rock?

Cause those are my 2 options when I am 4wheeling.
The tree, duh. Everybody knows trees are green and they suck up sunlight. You have to tap the energy left over for charging.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
I think it’s cool and the more I look at it the more I like it. I doubt our Bronco ever gets built in 2023 so this is a great option for my wife. Something fun with a topless, doors off attitude, boxy design like she likes. I can dig it. I’m not going to weigh in on the pros and cons of electricity or the viability. It is what it is.

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
There is no commercially implemented solution for recycling these batteries.
I read an article 2-3 years ago about a lab trying to develop a large-scale, commercially-viable method of recycling spent EV batteries, and it wasn't going well at all. The battery packs are layers and layers of cells and epoxy, and they couldn't separate it all without ruining the cells.

At least a trashed engine can be melted down and recycled with relative ease.

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
The Recon looks to be a similar idea of the Bronco Sport to the Bronco. At least they didn't call it a Wrangler.
That's a good point. Ford pretty much had to put the Bronco name on the Sport for marketing purposes, but Jeep is such solid name and branding on its own they don't have the put the Wrangler name on it.
Sponsored